Front Hub grease level

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:31
ThreadID: 31289 Views:1861 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
heyho,

Ive just performed, for the first time, my own full underbody grease service. Having found all the missed nipples and gunged-on hub nuts, I wont be paying for one ever again, you just cant trust 'em. - by the looks of some nipples, they havent been greased since I bought the truck - so thats some 20+ mechanics, all over Australia, and it would appear from close inspection that not one of them actually completed a full grease job. ...now off the soapbox...

But my question is: should the front hubs (solid axle) be chock full of grease or is 'plenty' plenty?

Thanks
richo

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:39

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 13:39
Richo,

Plenty is plenty.
They should be packed with a bit left over but not full of grease.
The CVs have different grease to the bearings.
The grease nipples can look as if they have not been touched but if they have not been greased they would have failed a long time ago.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157832

Follow Up By: richopesto - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:22
Thanks Wayne, sounds sensible.

I know I should have had uni-joint failure or something by now if that was indeed the case.
Some grease nipples look as if they have never been touched, I had to dig them out, others only required a wipe with a rag? The car was in showroom nick when I bought it, so I kow exactly how much gunge build up has occurred. The front hubs have most definitely never been greased or checked since I bought it, one was as good as empty.
Aaah, who knows....I have the surety of my own work now.

Thanksverymuch
Richo
"Dont use force, use a bigger hammer"

Nice rig. You do tours?
PS Why you got two air compressors?
FollowupID: 412179

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:04

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:04
Richo,

Yes I am a Tag along tour guide and I think that the Troopie is just about right.
Why do I have two compressors?
I really have three, one for the diff locks and two for pumping up tyres.
The ARB compressor came with the vehicle when I got it. The Big Red and the Blue Tongue I have acquired over the years. I have the room and I do depend on them. Have two means I have a back up, or I came pump up two tyres at once.

Wayne
FollowupID: 412226

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:10
Wayne,
Just interested but what is the weight of your rig fully loaded for camping,as I have the same vehicle but seem to have a lot less goodies and yet I end up 3.2 t when heading out which is just about as heavy as I would like to go.
FollowupID: 412283

Reply By: Ron173 - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 15:57

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 15:57
You should never fill 'chock' full of grease on items like hubs, wheel bearings etc., if it is jammed full there, is no air space and the bearing will overheat, and dont let anyone tell you different.

I have a lot of experience here and spent lots of time with SKF bearing reps on maintenance practices to reduce failures etc, and unless it is a special application designed to be sealed, the bearing manufacturer has allowed for air space in there.

Ron
AnswerID: 157857

Sponsored Links