towing with a 3ltr trb deis patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 15:56
ThreadID: 31295 Views:2529 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
question #2
will i be asking for trouble towing my boat behind my patrol its a stock std 3ltr turbo the boat is a 22 ft fibreglass i am not certain on the weight but it cant be any more than two tonne thats what the trailer is rated at i am heading up north in w.a to shark bay and have been told i might be asking a bit much going through the hills around northhampton ?

thanks again
johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:06

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:06
It will tow fine. Just drive according to the terrain ie don't labour the engine. I towed a 2.5 tonne of instant turf recently and the 3.0l does the job very well.

leroy
AnswerID: 157860

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:13

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:13
Hi Johno,

Totally agree with Leroy, you will do this easily. I have towed my 1.6T van past Northampton many times and did it easily. My old 80 series 1HZ struggled, down to 3rd gear on some hills but the GU 3.0TD never got lower than 4th gear.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 157863

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 17:59

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 17:59
With the history of these motors I reckon I would be keeping my fingers crossed if it is a car from the suspect series.
AnswerID: 157881

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:10

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:10
I towed a 24 feet long dual axle caravan with, and loaded for a family of four for five weeks, all around Europe, including over a 7000 feet high pass in the Alps (engine power is down by about 25% iirc at 7000ft) with an in-line 6 cylinder 2600cc petrol engine in a heavy car - no problem except the auto box got a little confused at 7000ft.

In Europe people tow with much smaller cars than is considered necessary in Oz?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 157884

Reply By: Pud & Barb - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:56

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:56
As you have probably seen our posts, our 3 ltre blew up a few weeks ago. We spoke to some people today about it and we were advised that it's probably best not to tow with it for long periods of time, eg, weekend away only, occasionally.
Ours is a series 2, we asked about the series 3 and they said that there's not many out there that have the kilometers on them to really guage what they are capable of. You didn't mention what series yours is. The vehicle will handle the trip, but, down the track somewhere, sometime, you will undoubtably explode as we did. Hope this dosn't happen to you. Fingers crossed, toes crossed & anything else you can cross. Best of luck and enjoy your trip.
Pud and Barb.

AnswerID: 157890

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:11

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:11
With the amount of 3.0 patrols out there doing serious work, the number that have blown up is not as major as a lot on this forum will admit.

Yes it is a problem, but some on this forum are going on as though it's as common as bombings in Iraq.

Sorry to here about your misfortune, but my 3.0 patrol which has 110,000 klm has towed our jayco camper (ok, so it's not 2 ton, so what?) to broome and back and all over the south west with absolute ease, good fuel economy, power for overtaking, it eats hills, and it doesn't get hot.

I guess I'm just saying I think it's wrong to say to someone - - - - - -

" you will undoubtably explode as we did "
FollowupID: 412285

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 20:53
I'm currently towing my 6.6m (25 FT) Whittley with by 3.0Di Auto. It would be about 3 Tonne. I have an exhaust gas and tranny temp gauges fitted. IMHO you will have no problems. Just to be on the safe side, on longer hills let the vehicle find it's own speed, don't chase the speedo, the engine is up to it but the EGT wiil rise. Also have towed my previous 5.5M Haines Signature and 2T race car trailer combo all over the place with no issues.
AnswerID: 157920

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:09

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:09
G'day,
3 tonne with auto patrol is unfortunately illegel/unroadworthy and therefore-UNINSURED.

Ins. companies are right on to these things these days, not worth the risk in my opinion.
Matt
FollowupID: 412345

Follow Up By: the outlaws - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:46
gday troopy you have really got me stressin out now my patrol is stock standard factory fitted 3 ltr turbo auto why is that illegel !!!!!!!!!
i have never heard of this before !!!!!!
FollowupID: 412372

Follow Up By: pjchris - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:03

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:03
If you look at the Nissan Australia Website you'll see that you can tow 3200kg with the Manual 3.0l TD and only 2500kg with the Auto.

Since 3t is over the allowed weight for an auto, if you had an accident you could be considered unregistered and theoretically your insurance wouldn't cover it and Third Party injury coverage may be void as well.

I suspect that they would have to prove that the accident was contributed to by overloading the vehicle,and specifically that the cause was related to the drivetrain as this is the only thing different between the two models.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 412400

Follow Up By: the outlaws - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:09

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:09
i said my boat was no heavier than 2 tonne.
so i guess i am legal now
FollowupID: 412402

Follow Up By: pjchris - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:26

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:26
Yes Outlaws, you are legal, I think the comment by Troopytracker was pointing out that Outbacktourer was not legal.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 412408

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:57

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:57
the outlaws,
I posted the above message as a follow up to Outbacktourer, sorry to scare you.

pjchris, you say-
"I suspect that they would have to prove that the accident was contributed to by overloading the vehicle,and specifically that the cause was related to the drivetrain as this is the only thing different between the two models."

I have to disagree. If you are operating the vehicle outside manufactuers limits, you are unroadworthy and that's good enough for them to wipe you - My insurer told me exactly this. You could have the boat attatched to the car parked on the side of the road and have someone plow into it and run, and they'd still be able to wipe you. Maybe/hopefully they wouldn't, but they could. Some people can live with the risk, maybe they do it only occasionally so the risk is lower whatever, others wouldn't be comfortable with the risk knowing all the facts.

Matt

FollowupID: 412542

Follow Up By: pjchris - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 00:10

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 00:10
My personal opinion on this is that this particular vehicle exists in a very wierd grey area.

The basic vehicle, Chassis, body suspension, wheels tyres etc are more than capable of handling the 3200kg limit of the manual transmission model. Then they take the manual out, insert an automatic, change nothing else, and you lose 700kg of towing capacity.

I think that Nissan lower the towing weight because the Auto transmission simply won't take the strain if you were to tow over 2500kg continuously. It's a reliability and warranty thing. Nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle. It's not going to run off the road, collapse the suspension, cause tyre blowouts etc just because you put 2600kg on the back. It might break the transmission (And I stress the might) and this could cause an accident.

This is the only vehicle I know of that is in this situation.

And in my dealings, Insurance companies aren't all that bad either. They don't 'wipe you' if it's not your fault even if your vehicle is technically unroadworthy. Look at all those 4WD running around with larger tyres. they are generally ALL unroadworthy but the Insurance companies don't 'wipe' them. Nearly every 4WD properly set up for outback touring with Bullbar, winch, roofbasket, rear drawers, suspension lift etc is unroadworthy as they are over GVM or have tyre/suspension lift irregularities and the insurance companies generally pay out on them.

If the accident is caused by you and contributed to by the item that causes the vehicle to be unroadworthy then yes, they probably would 'wipe' you. But they'd have to know about it first.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 412633

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:34

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:34
I towed a 1.5 ton van around OZ, did 20,170km's 8/10th's of that with the van on the back. Temps from around 0 degrees up to and exceeding 40 degrees.

Heaven forbid...I even towed in 5th!!!

I have no sign of any engine probs.

Series III 2002.
AnswerID: 157984

Reply By: rob1 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:11

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:11
Johno
As above, your Patrol will do it no problems, one thing though, keep an eye on your engine oil level and make sure it is always at the correct level.

Rob
AnswerID: 158146

Sponsored Links