overdone photo's

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:27
ThreadID: 31328 Views:2330 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
why do ppl over do outback photo's to the point that they don't look natural, check out the photo of the desert storm on this URL www.direct4wd.com.au/photos/photos.htm
Ive seen cards of Ayres Rock and Big Red that are too red, maybe the overseas tourists want it like that

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:41

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:41
Doug

There was a time in the late 1800's when a bunch of painters tried to display their work in a gallery. They were laughed at and ridiculed becuase their paintings were "not real". "These are not paintings, these are impressions"

These guys were not referred to as painters, but rather the derogatory term - "the impresionists" waas used for them.

Each to their own, I reckon
:)

R.
AnswerID: 158056

Reply By: bombsquad - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:13

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:13
To me Photography with colored filters is fraudulent and not a true representation of what was actually seen at the time - they should all have at least a footnote telling the viewer they are being decieved.

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 158078

Follow Up By: evila - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:41

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:41
Hi Andrew,

Beeing a semi-pro photographer myself, all I cant tell is that if your advise were followed, most pictures in magazines and books would have to carry the footnote.

It's usually more about whether it "looks" natural than if it's been altered by filters or not.

Cheers,

Henry.-
FollowupID: 412464

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 17:09

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 17:09
Hi Andrew,

Your camera is a very different device to the human eye.

These guys have not necessarily used a colour filter - although they may have.

The human eye builds up a multiple exposure image in real time and changes it's colour perception in the process.

If anything, your eye is less accurate in colour reproduction than any photographer's work.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 412501

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:20

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 13:20
From the shadows it looks like very late afternoon and with the right light and sand this colour is not too far off reality. Late evening light has the quality of intensifying colours dramatically.

The camera will also record the light differently to what your eye perceives. Your brain does quite a bit of editing without your realising it (even without liquid enhancers). Just look at those dramatic mountain pictures you took that look ordinary at home. An effect called battering means that you perceive vertical distances to be greater that they really are. Photos of rough seas taken from ships look very tame when you look at them later - same effect.

Wolfie would have a good idea if this was faked up or not.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158080

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:52

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 14:52
Hi Doug,

I was on a camel ride at Curtin Springs at sunset. A storm had just passed so the sky was purple/grey. The colour of the sand was the same as in the desert storm photo. It was sereal being there at the time, but even more so when the photos came out. It looked like I had altered them, but I hadn't. That is the beauty of nature, it can change what is normal into pure magnificence at the blink of an eye.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 158098

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 15:34

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 15:34
Well Doug,

I live in Broken Hill and have seen plenty of sand that colour, especially late in the day.

When we were approaching Big Red, trying to get there before the sunset but really cutting it fine, the sand was almost irridescent(sp). Whish I'd had time to get a few pics.

Duncs
AnswerID: 158104

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 17:45

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 17:45
another thing that makes a difference is soft light (like in this image with a storm on the horizon).

Other times you will find soft light is at dawn, especially in the few moments of twilight, and dusk.

Some photographers hang out for this sort of light - they'll get up early day after day, on the off chance.

Ciao for now
Andrew who has seen some wonderful light in the outback.
AnswerID: 158129

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:50
Doug,

I doubt that ANY photo in any magazine, web page, or elsewhere is as is. They all go through some sort of change, according to the mood the photographer, art director, or customer wants.

The photo of your rig, is very real, but you only have what.... 10 minutes to get that shot, in that light? An overseas tourist would look at your rig, and think.... wow! Then when they come out here, they are blinded by our harsh summer light, yet, they remember your photo, which is in the evening, and has not been touched up.

Your rig pic looks nice, but if you had of taken the same photo at lunchtime, it would look like crap, and attract no comment, or visitors.

Photography is not JUST about capturing a record, it's art, it's painting with light, playing around, experimenting.

Some of my best work in the Flinders is done when it's dark, but with 15 minute exposures, and a soft moon, I have no shadows, and extreme depth of field. I haven't played with white balance, it's what the camera sees, for 15 minutes, yet our eyes don't.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 158194

Sponsored Links