Tyre Pump

Submitted: Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 17:28
ThreadID: 31380 Views:4885 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to buy a tyre pump for around $150.00 to $250.00 what is a good reliable brand to buy, I will only be using it say once a week, so it won't be getting a lot of use on the LC100 series.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 17:56

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 17:56
Not sure on current prices, but I suggest that you buy a known reputable brand that others here recommend. I used an el cheapo and it melted. I used a more expensive el cheapo and stood around waiting for a long time . It simply wasn't up to the job. I bought a Big Red compressor (around $300 at the time) and have been quite satisfied.
Nothing worse than being stranded by a bit of gear that gets so little use but you rely on it in a pinch.
AnswerID: 158380

Follow Up By: Raymond from Wanderin 4 Wheelers - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:03

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:03
Hi Footloose
My son has one and has no problems using it to pump up the 4 tyres on his Patrol after sanddriving. Two months ago reseated a 4by tire with a ratchet strap around the tyre holding it to the rim
Ray
FollowupID: 412816

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:25

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:25
Hi Ray, hmm. Sounds almost too good to be true. Cheap and good ? I always thought the two were mutually exclusive but apparently not.
Ok, I've slapped my wrist. Now to go and take a look at one of these beasties.
FollowupID: 412823

Reply By: Raymond from Wanderin 4 Wheelers - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 17:57

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 17:57
Hi Cobber
I use a pump from BigW cost $89 and has no problems pumping up the tyres on the 4by and now the motorhome. You have a spare at the price you are willing to pay.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 158381

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:08

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:08
Sounds like the el cheapos have got their act together! Will this pump inflate a flat on a 4x4 ? Any chance that it will seal the rim of a tubeless ? If so, then I'm off to buy one as a spare also.
FollowupID: 412809

Follow Up By: ev700 - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:08

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 20:08
Raymond

I bought one from Big W. It was strongly made and quick on my 17" tyres.

Maybe some of the so-called quality ones from aftermarket suppliers have a huge mark-up to cover advertising.

FollowupID: 412827

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:23

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:23
Just make sure it's not a MADE IN CHINA piece of #### , Toeloose got it right spend a few $$$ more in the beginning and you won't be cussin , ARB or [OX made in usa ] Big Red ,i don't where those Bushranger things are made,but like Ankleloose said they won't survive.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158385

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:48

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 18:48
I wanted a new air compressor about 12 months ago. I had a thought that I'd eventually put ARB lockers in the 4B and would get an ARB compressor at the time. In the meantime I wanted a good compressor, but didn't want to pay too much. AS it turns out I haven't fitted the lockers and probably won't.

Super cheap had some compressors on special, so I had a look. I ended up with (brand on it) Super Force Professional Heavy Duty. Other info on label: max 30 Amp; 72 Lt per min; 40 min continious cycle. It was the biggest and most expensive they had in stock at the time.

I get out a fair bit with the 4WD Club and do some beach driving, including Fraser Island, so it gets plenty of work. So far I can't fault it. Gets 4 tyres from 18 psi to 36 psi in good time. Faster than many more expensive ones used by others in the Club.

From memory, normal price was around $250 and I think I paid $140 odd on special. If you can get it on special I think it is a great unit. I don't know how long it will last, but after a year it is like new.

I doubt that it would set the bead on most tubeless tyres, but very few 12V compressors will. That's why I carry 3 spares (including for CT) when on major trips.

That's my recent experience.
AnswerID: 158387

Follow Up By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:13

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:13
Hi Norm

I did the same deal from Superthief, and you're right, it amazingly out performs some of the big brand name pumps. I know this because I'm usaully packed and ready to go while my mates are just finishing their last tyre.

Brad
FollowupID: 412817

Follow Up By: Beast of Bodmin - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 08:01

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 08:01
Hi Norm,
Sounds like your compressor is one of the many 'Max-Air' copies l've seen around. Actually they appearto be made by the same mob but just unbranded and with slight changes.
But as you mention in the spec, the output is exactly the same!

When l was looking about 12mth ago, there are many that look exactly the same, but have slightly different quick connectors, hose & gauge and even filter element.
My best price on the max-air was $285 on special, the best unbranded was still about $250, so l wentwith the branded jobbie.

Most of our club members have air-con compressors driven off the engine, nothing is as good as that. But l reckon these copies are the way to go. If l could find one at $140, l'd buy a spare!

Cheers
BoB
FollowupID: 412900

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:26

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:26
Got one also excellent unit. Here in Perth Super Thief have a sale this weekend $129 normally $179. Also MALZ in Cannington are selling a 90L/min compressor for $179 normally $199. No idea about the quality of the MALZ one.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 412960

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:12

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:12
I had a cheapie...... it took forever to pump up my tyres and at the 6th pump-p, it disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke on the last tyre...... It was still in warranty so I took it back for a refund.

I saved a bit more and bought an Ox, $400, pumps my 33's from 18 to 40 in 5 minutes per tyre without a drama. Used it heaps so far and it's a ripper.....

AnswerID: 158493

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:56

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:56
Carry one of these also..DIY "Spare AIr"..In ea.of my rigs I carry one.So what is "one"?..Buy two clip on tyre chucks,5m of 8mm clear air hose with red stripe (red stripe means ok for fuel..Stuck with a broken fuel line..Us a bit of this) two OTK or worm drive hose clamps (OTK clamps,you just squeeze the two sides to tighten..No "sharps" Need less Band-Aids™) Make up as per picture..I always carry higher pressure in my spare (The extra weight has'nt caused any rear suspension sag so far :-) although,if you "steal" air from any of the normal road tyres,you will be hard pressed to note much difference visually or performance wise.Yes,I do carry a compresser in ea.rig,but why would you bother,as with this,just fit two chucks and do something else (boil the billy,change a nappy,take some video or pix,call home etc)..Can't over-inflate..Warning ! Do not use "clip on" tyre chucks on your compressor..I blew the tread clean off a almost new $220 plus tyre by over-inflation..Air escaped from inner tyre casing thru a small nail hole,got under tread and blew it off in a loud explosion.I got a "death grip" on the steer wheel,waiting for the wobbles as cars were parked either side..Neve went flat!..When I got to destination,had a look.Tread was back there somewhere,I was driving on the casing.Different!..Pix http://public.fotki.com/RockyOne/rockys_workshop_world/tyresaver.html

img src=http://public.fotki.com/RockyOne/rockys_workshop_world/tyresaver.html
AnswerID: 158508

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 13:17

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 13:17
G'day cobber, did you get your answer?? probably not!
but then again you never ask a question unless you have your own idea on the answer!
Buy a decent brand, any brand it'll last as long as you want it too
AnswerID: 158539

Sponsored Links