LC100 cargo space

Submitted: Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 21:51
ThreadID: 31386 Views:1652 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
You know what annoys me, with second row seats up in the back of my 100 series, and with the trusty mattress in the back, I still can't stretch out and sleep. The only option seems to be - rip out the seats (not an option) or come up with some kind of flyscreen/canvas thingy cover so I can leave the rear doors open at night without getting eaten by mossies.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dekard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 23:03

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 23:03
A long time ago I had SWB Nissan Patrol with drop down taligate and life up tail gate window

In order to solve a similar problem, I had a canvas cover tailor made to fit over the top tail gate window, clip studded onto the roof rack rear bar, stuuds fitted down the sides and had a "pouch" arrangement that slotted over the drop down tailgate.

Fit on in about 2 minutes, jump in rear of the truck, get yer gear off and into bed!

It wasn't pricey back in 1990. Go see any canvas fabricator.

Bilbo

AnswerID: 158432

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 08:54

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 08:54
The big problem with sleeping in the car is the possible effect on its longevity.
Condensation on the inside of the roof (between the headlining and the roof) ends up running down into the back of the seam where the roof/gutter/sidepanels join eventually causing rust. This seam is usually not very well painted or coated with rust inhibitors which doesn't help either.
We noticed this years ago when a few acquaintances all bought new vehicles (60 series) about the same time, one single bloke always slept in his car and also travelled frequently more than the others.
When they all started to upgrade 4 or 5 years later his was already rusty in the turret and no where else, the other trucks were all fine.
AnswerID: 158474

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:13

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:13
You'd only need the bottom half of the back left open to poke your feet through. Just get some self adhesive velcro and a bit of sheer/net curtain fabric or canvas and get the cook to sew it to the hading of the curtain and stick the corresponding side of the velcro to the bottom/inside edge of the top section of the door (lift up section) so you'll have a piece of curtain the width of the back door 300mm x 1500mm the materials would cost next to nothing from Spotlight.

Surely, leaving a couple of windows partially open on the lee side of the car would alleviate the condensation problem. Either that or stick yer noggin out of the bottom of the rear door instead of your feet. LOL.
AnswerID: 158480

Reply By: Rock Crawler - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:16

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:16
I think you just get your back up when you in a smaller car Jim . I am on the road all day and find that when you dont rush , Alll road users seam great . When we are in a hurry , there all p r i c k s lol
AnswerID: 158482

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:32

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:32
Dekard,
As a matter ofinterest, why would you not take out the rear seat?
The reason I ask is that we are going up North next month, for a month and I have full intensions of removing the rear seat.
Thanks Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 158520

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 14:27

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 14:27
Get a swag m8.

They fit nicey in the back under all circumstances ... until you want to sleep, then you drop them on the ground outside and can sleep through any weather without fear of condensation.

Taking the second row seats out isn't difficult, but does leave a few humps you'd want to sort out.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 158549

Follow Up By: Dekard05 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 16:01

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 16:01
Hmm, thanks guys, a few ideas for me to look into.

Didn't really want to muck around with the rear seats Jeff, but if it's that easy may give it a go! I suppose some sort of foam infill would be needed to sort out the humps. Thanks again.
Dekard
FollowupID: 413041

Sponsored Links