Drum to Disc conversion

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:38
ThreadID: 31399 Views:2041 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1992 HDJ 80 R Landcruiser that has drum brakes on the rear and disc on the front. I was hopng to be able to do a conversion to disc on the rear, not too sure whats invovled or if it is possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Merl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:16

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:16
Why? the drums work ok and don't suffer from the 'wear out the rear disc pads in 200k' on muddy roads.
AnswerID: 158495

Follow Up By: Merl - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:39

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:39
thanks for the reply Peter, The reason for the conversion is that i have a set of roller draws fully laden and with the other accessories, rear wheel carrier,water tank, etc, Plus a 75mm lift.I thought the disc would give me more stopping power then the drums. Also I was never aware that you could wear a set of disc pads out in 200klm. Very interesting.
FollowupID: 412969

Follow Up By: Sarg - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:29

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:29
Not to mention the park brake problems that they have if used in wet & or muddy conditions. Forever changing rear rotors, pads & shoes on the LC utes in minesite situations.
FollowupID: 412980

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:37

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:37
As Sarg said heaps of probs chopping out rear pads, there was a post on here after the hols last year when there was rain on the Tanami, everyone was getting into Alice with no rear brakes, the Tojo dealer actually ran out of pads there were so many.
Never mind the rear handbrake problems, never trust a late model Tojo with the handbrake in the hub on the disc, I personally know two people who have had vehicles written off after they rolled away, one was in his driveway!
FollowupID: 412982

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 14:03

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 14:03
Yeah I gotta say (after just replacing my shoes in the surf) that drums are an absolute pain in the but WHEN they need servicing, but for the most part they are quite reliable and I can only imagine the surf's drums would be at LEAST the same size as yours if not smaller and they are MASSIVE bloody drums. And as said above, you can't beat the old drum operated handbrake, mines awsome now that I've cleaned it all out, replaced the shoes and adjusted it. The car stops awsome, ever since I've had it the brakes have been a bit lathargic, even after doing the front pads and bleeding all round, but after doing those big mother drums at the back it's awsome.

If you think the drums need adjusting, you can either get behind the drum, remove the bung and fiddle fart around with a flat head screw driver to tightent them up a little, or if it's like mine you can just pull the hand brake in and out 5 or 10 times and you'll feel it start to stiffen up as the handbrake is hooked up to the adjuster to make it seem like they adjust "automatically". Of course if you do a stupid ass thing like me and drive for 50k along the beach with your handbrake half out (the light on the dash hasn't worked for some while now) or you have done some heavy braking (lots of towing etc) then you may need to do some "catch up" with the adjustments by doing it with the handbrake.
FollowupID: 412997

Sponsored Links