Winch rope

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:03
ThreadID: 31400 Views:2015 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got or used the synthetic winch rope as advertised in the ad s below, should have no recoil and no pricked hands , would one leave it on the spool or take it off when not used
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 13:18

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 13:18
If you can afford $ 11.00 / Meter for synthetic rope then why would you even contemplate buying steel wire rope .
AnswerID: 158540

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:17

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:17
On their ad they have some yellow latch hooks. The way they look to work, the only time the latch is forced closed is when there is load on the hook. Surely that's not when hooks come adrift; isn't it when the hook is unloaded that they are at risk of coming free? Also, because the line is attached to the latch rather than the hook, the load looks to be taken by the pin that attaches the latch to the hook. The pin doesn't look up to it.

Yes, I know they are tested, but it just looks wrong to me. No?

Cheers Frank.

Click here
AnswerID: 158611

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:56

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:56
I'm using synthetic rope, got mine at a better price than $11/m too. I've only used it once in anger and was very impressed. Alos helped a mate while he was using it. It's very easy to handle being so light and no nasty stell splinters. i'll be interested to see how it lasts long term.

It is also great for using as winch extension straps etc and fit through a snatch block which conventional extension straps don't.
AnswerID: 158620

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:33

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:33
where'd you get it and what'd you gettit for Mr Pat?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 413183

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 13:06

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 13:06
I'll send you an email Bonz.
FollowupID: 413185

Follow Up By: Moggs - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:00

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:00
Hey Bonz, try www.okoffroad.com. You can get about 40 mtrs of Amsteel Blue delivered for less than AUD200. They are excellent to deal with, and will set you right re: an aluminium hawse to protect the rope instead of the roller fairleads.

Just need to be sure you get a hawse with offset holes if you have a feet forward winch in an ARB bar so that it all lines up right.

FollowupID: 413387

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:29

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:29
Synthetic is very good if you do a reasonable amount of winching but it does have its disadvantages. You need to get a serious protection sleeve to avoid it fraying if you run it over any obstacle. I use a Michelle's Sacks one which is quite good but you could easily make one. It floats and has very limited shock loading but needs to be kept absolutely spotless as dirt abrades the fibres quite quickly so it needs a regular wash. Apart from that if you are chasing weight over the front suspension then every kilo counts. To reduce abrasion the dnyamica guys provide a set of sacrificial fairleads as well.

I have used both on my Ox 10,000lb electric and they work well. Choice is yours and depends on both cost and the amount of use you get from the winch. As a trainer I am using mine most weekends and given that the synthetic doesn't birdnest the way wire does that is a plus in its own right.

Put simply the synthetic has its advantages over wire but you need to be prepared to put in the effort to look after it.

Enjoy

Rob
AnswerID: 158852

Sponsored Links