touring to the cape with a dog

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:08
ThreadID: 31406 Views:2240 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
No, not the handbrake! With the kids all moved out and nobody left to babysit the boofhead, I just found out that the kennel won't take him as he hasn't had all his shots. (the shot i sujested next didn't go down too well) I've tried searching "dogs" and "restrictions" but get nothing except surprising grog limitations. Besides national parks, can anyone shed any light on where I can't go. Anyone taken a dog up there before? Any info would be appreciated.
TA. MICK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesC - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:16

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:16
Hey Mick,
I've taken my dog there a few times and haven't had any problems. Obviously National Parks get a bit sad on the idea but.
AnswerID: 158513

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:41

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:41
I like dogs and have one myself, when I travel I leave the dog at home. Dogs National Parks and camping areas are not a good mix. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 158521

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:25

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:25
I Reackon he'll have a ball of a time going with his Fav' person in life , just don't let him go swimming
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158529

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 15:27

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 15:27
Mick

I have a book " Bush Camping with dogs " which I bought from the shop here on Exploroz. It is quite comprehensive in its coverage of the country and where dogs are allowed. However the info for Queensland stops at Cairns. But I cannnot see a problem as long as you stay clear of National Parks.

Our pampered pooch travels everywhere with us and I have taken her through National Parks in transit, but tend to stay away from NP's when she is with us.

Yes, if travelling in the far north, don't let puppy go swimming in the creeks and rivers. Luckily our dog takes a dim view of water...lol
AnswerID: 158561

Follow Up By: kesh - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 17:54

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 17:54
Isn't it bl@@dy sad, the NP's are full of feral animals, noxious weeds etc.etc. but you can't take ones best friend in there.
Well I do, and I also have taken them to task. The usual result is a back off them with a "demand" that I wont be doing it again.
My dog is a part of my family and I have an equal resposibility for her. I am not going to be intimidated by some pathetic university "edumacated" upstart about where I can or can not travel with my dog.
Funny thing about these NP Rangers, a little bit like back street hoons. Good in a mob, but on their own often lack the old backbone. One day we may yet again end up with free access to our own lands.
Come the Revolution. kesh

FollowupID: 413062

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:11

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:11
Viva Che Kesh !!! :))))
FollowupID: 413064

Follow Up By: Joe King - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:05

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:05
Hey Kesh...
"back off them with a "demand" that I wont be doing it again."
who's got no backbone?
I understand what you are saying, Australia for Australians, I totally agree, as for the rangers, I'd be careful generalising mate, you wouldn't want a couple of the rangers around here hear you say the "No backbone" thing, I think you & your dog would leave as 1 unit...
the same people who made the decision to let the ferals in are the same people who won't let you take your dog on park, Rangers don't make the rules, as we all do at work, we have to follow them, agree or not...
FollowupID: 413298

Follow Up By: kesh - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 17:41

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 17:41
G'day Joe.
So where exactly is "around here"? I might pay it a visit.
And there you go, you see, "a couple of the rangers...." exactly what I was saying, have to be in multiples.
And why should Australia not be for all Australians, if its vacant Crown land then all should be able to share and enjoy its ammenity
And please give us a better description of "leave as 1 unit"? We usually do. Why on earth I would leave the dog behind, beats me. You seem to imply a little bit of strongarm tactic here, not good Joe,not good.
Its interesting,eh, that in NSW the State Forests are going to allow licenced hunters to eradicate the build up of feral animals yet properties adjoining NP's can do little or nothing to prevent financial loss from dogs leaving the park and attacking their stock.
And we wont even mention bushfires.
If you work for NP Joe, I hope its a job you enjoy, but also knowing a couple of rangers myself, I am aware that you would be well brainwashed.
kesh

FollowupID: 413642

Follow Up By: Joe King - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 21:02
Kesh,
Around here is Townsville, Come on up.....
are you saying All Rangers, Australia over are spineless, every single one of them?, thats what I took from it & I said, Don't generalise,
thats like saying All mechanics are shonks, All southerners are d1ckheads, same thing isn't it?.....
I think I said I agree with you about the Australia for Australians & everything else you said except about the Rangers.
"Leave as 1 unit", take it how you like, Strongarm tactic, jeez lighten up
No, I don't work for QPWS, I am one of the Licenced Hunters you mentioned
FollowupID: 413688

Reply By: russ36 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:01

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:01
i take the hound north because its part of the family, and all the hassles involved with doing so are no different than the effort involved in safely and happily transporting children...its hot enough up there anytime of year that she will seek water sources so unfortunatly she is on the leash to keep her from the crocs , but at least she is always with us. i believe lakefield will allow a dog that is confined to the vehicle during your drive through....not sure if you are allowed to camp there o/nite with a dog....its always worth remembering that in some remote areas there is always the possibility of your dog picking up a bait intended for dingoes
AnswerID: 158623

Sponsored Links