GU Patrol standard suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:07
ThreadID: 3144 Views:2259 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and our 4month old son are planning a trip to Alice then on to the top end in June we are also hoping to do the Gibb River road,we have a 2002 GU Patrol 3litreTD. My questions are:

1/ The standard Patrol suspension seems all right with the majority of trips that we have done but we have never really been on a heavily corrugated road for extended periods of time,we have been told that after a few hours the suspension softens off really bad and that we should be looking at aftermarket suspension before we go. TRUE/FALSE.

2/ How bad is the Gibb River road at that time of year, some people that i have spoken to reckon it is allright others are saying to avoid it unless i have a good supply of tyres,i just reckon some people have no sense of adventure.

3/ If we do the Gibb River road how long would it take us to go from Kununurra to Derby and if we do stop over night where is the best place to stay,we would need a room as we are not taking a tent or towing a van.

Any info would be greately appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:15
Do yourself a favor, theres half dozen GU owners come back in last few months from up that way on the Patrol list... SOme 3.0's some 4.2s and one 4.8.

Jump aboard....

AnswerID: 12107

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:16
One thing, not taking a tent, what happens if you break down somewhere?

Sleep on the ground?
FollowupID: 7003

Reply By: Member - Kevin - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 23:32
Marty and Sam

2/ It depends on the previous wet season.Check actual conditions just prior to leaving home and be prepared for that advice to be wrong because of changed conditions. I travelled the GRR last July and bits were okay, bits were bad, and bits were excellent where the grader had been. BE PREPARED FOR VARIABLE CONDITIONS AND HAVE PLENTY OF SPARES - JUST IN CASE.

3/ We travelled from Kununurra almost to Derby in three weeks and that was too quick in my opinion. The GRR could be travelled in one long day I suppose given perfect conditions. I guess I have no sense of adventure as trying to do the GRR in one day with wife and very young infant seems just plain irresponsible to me. If you have no tent or caravan do you carry food, water, tarpaulin for shelter while you wait on the side of the road for help.

1/ Depends on 3. Take the time to enjoy what the GRR has to offer and you won't be pounding on corrugations for hours.

AnswerID: 12121

Reply By: Marty and Sam - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:56

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:56
Thanks kevin, advice i take on board,sarcasm i can do without,if you think i am irresponsible for taking my wife and child on a trip that we will all enjoy and have been planning for a while then call me irresponsible. As i stated we dont carry a tent we dont tow a caravan we sleep in swags under a pull out shade off the roof rack if need be,but being as i now have a small child i would rather find decent accomodation for the night. And as to say do i carry food and water just in case somthing happens well i dont think that even deserves answering.Irresponsible (according to you) i may be plain bloody stupid i am not.
AnswerID: 12123

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:17

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:17
You hadnt mentioned swags before....
You just mentioned
"we would need a room as we are not taking a tent or towing a van"

No need to bite, people are trying to help.
FollowupID: 7018

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:30

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:30
Marty and Sam,

Absolutely no sarcasm intended. You hadn't mentioned swags, pull out shades, roofracks, food, or water and I only responded to what I read in and into your post - I assumed nothing. I met a young couple in a Troopy on the Canning a few years ago and they asked me where the next Petrol Station was - and they were serious. They had no bedding, tents/swags, or much food and they thought they could drive the CSR in 2 days, sleeping in their seats and refuelling at the service station. My apologies for categorising you in the same way.

Have a great trip

Cheers - Kevin
FollowupID: 7031

Reply By: lindsay - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:09

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:09
Marty, The road conditions will always vary in the outback. the problem is that each person will have a different interpretation of road conditions and time taken to travel a particular section do your research ,ask questions and come to your own conclusions. that is the way i do it. To do the G.R.R. if you want to look at some of the more accessable gorges say Leanards ,Galvins,Manning (not go to Drysdale) Jacks you would probable need a min of 4 days if you want to have a bit of a look.However you could spend heaps more time there hiking around. depends on you enthusiam to walk. Don't rely on accomadation as it can be expencive ,you will probably need to book in advance and this limits your ability to do your own thing. Camp in your swag and work something out for the little one ,maybe in the vehicle or a small tent. A small tent is worth its weight in gold and won' take many $ or much room. one bit of advce after 30 years up that way is DON'T TEAR ALONG TAKE YOUR TIME. Most of the problems I have seen over the years have occured due to overloading and excessive speed. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 12126

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:14

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:14
I think your main question was about the standard suspension.

I still run the standard springs and shocks on my GU 4.2T (100,000) but have put Poly Air in the rear, gives a bit of a lift and carries the load well.

Replacement suspension is on the way and I will be putting the Poly Air back in.

As for road conditions just drive to suit, and let the good ride of the Patrol give you and your family a plesant trip.

Regards Tony.
AnswerID: 12127

Reply By: Member - Chris - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:37

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:37
Marty,

Although I have a troopy, I did the GRR with standard OEM suspension and found that the rough road did shorten the life of the gear. I wouldn't change it just for stamps vefore you go though. As stated before, the roughness of the trip depends upon where the grader has been and how many trucks have been over it before you get there. As with other comments, for us parts were 80-90Kph smooth and others were 20kph rough.

I came across a vehicle who were on their third spare, and patching the most recent puncture, so I would advise to take at least two. If you're not a dab hand at changing the cases, then the rim and everything. Most of the stations on the eastern end of the road can change tyres on splits no problem for you.

Where to stay:
Lakeside CP in Kunanurra, spend the time and cash to take the sunset boat tour on Lake Argyle;
Elquestro;
Nearly everywhere else you can on the way across.

I'd allow at least 3 weeks, unless you're planning to go up to Mitchell Falls - I haven't yet but plan to.

Good luck
AnswerID: 12131

Reply By: Marty and Sam - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:46

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:46
Thanks everyone for the info i will take it all on board,sorry for getting short with you Kevin but if i mentioned everything that we are carrying i would have been typing forever.I have experience going bush and would never dream of going anywhere without food,water and shelter it is just that now with the added responsibility of my little guy i just wanted some info. Once again thank you for the info.
AnswerID: 12150

Follow Up By: Member - Andrewpatrol - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 19:37

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 19:37
Just had a thought kevin, It might pay to take along a spare shocker for each end and before people start and say that shockers should be rewplaced in pairs, I would rather put up with mismatched shockers than the full weight of a full set of something that might not get used. There are lots of stories of people suffering from stuffed shockers to not even consider it.
FollowupID: 7117

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 17:46

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 17:46
Thanks Marty and Sam.

Andrew, great idea about the shockies. I keep the best of the replaced set and do just that. But don't forget washers and bushes. I ended up on my CSR trip filing the centre out of bits of anything metal to make washers for the bushes - I had used all my spares (1) up. I never thought that a washer would also go everytime a bush went...
FollowupID: 7148

Sponsored Links