Follow up to post 31414 Gibb river rd

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:28
ThreadID: 31444 Views:2123 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Had planned 3 weeks on the Gibb river rd in August but started to think that there may not be a lot of water in pools/gorges etc. I could change the direction of our trip and do the GRR in early June. I suppose my question is, what is the best time? I realize that road conditions can vary from week to week but on average are the roads better in June or August, is there too much water for crossings in the Mitchell Falls area and lastly I know that there are more people in June but is it really that crowded? Thanks in advance
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:21

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:21
I went through the GRR in December 2004 and had good run as the road had been graded but if you need to visit the gorges all the good ones are closed then , Was on my way back from a job so away i went , had the road to myself
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158742

Reply By: Greiglin - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:30

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:30
Depending on the the rainfall and the lateness of the wet season, the last two weeks in June and all of July is the best time on the GRR. In 2004 we crossed King Edward River to Mitchell falls no probs ( Kia Sportage) and it was late opening that year. Went to most of the gorges plenty of water in them, went into Old Mornington, road conditions were good all the way on GRR.
Not that crowded but there is always someone no matter where you are.
Have a great time.
www.members.optusnet.com.au/~mishlin see some pics
Mish & Greig
AnswerID: 158744

Reply By: Lyds- Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:38

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:38
the best time to go is just after the graders have gone through.
AnswerID: 158793

Follow Up By: Aston - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:15

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:15
Lyds,

Can you tell us when the graders are going through.

Thanks aston
FollowupID: 413304

Follow Up By: Lyds- Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:42

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:42
that would be the day after you have gone through :-)

I don't think they even know.

we bounced our way up to Drysdale and on to Mitchell Falls, to find the grader had been busy in our absence; much more pleasant.
FollowupID: 413315

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 23:04
Having crossed the G.R.R. many times I would agree with theadvice given by Greiglin, but obviously a late wet would change things a bit.
AnswerID: 158811

Reply By: Browser - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:12

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:12
Hi Briggzee,

I did the Gibb River Road last September and although there was not a lot of water in the rivers we still got to enjoy a swim and cool off at all the gorges and waterpools. The beauty was that there were very few travellers and generally there were us and two or three other campers in the camp grounds which suited us. Speaking to some of the Station owners they told us of days during the peak June/July season where they were turning campers away because they were full up!!!! Some of these stations had room for 80 plus camps so you can imagine how busy the roads and the attractions would be.

The road was good and again speaking to the shop managers and station owners they say that the road condition has improved since they have introduced the Gibb River Road Bus Service. The bus runs alternative days leaving Kunnunara and Derby. Apparently the guy that runs the bus service is able to exert some influence and make a bit of noise about the road conditions and can generate a response much quicker than was the case before.

Hope this helps and I'm sure you will enjoy your trip through the Gibb River Road. If you get the chance I suggest you do the detour to Mornington Station and take some time to detour into the Bungle Bungle National Park as well.

regards,

Browser
AnswerID: 158848

Follow Up By: briggzee (WA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:44

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:44
Browser, Thanks for the reply. 80 camps at a station! I thought we were going to a remote and isolated area! I think August with a little less water and a lot less campers is the preferred option.
FollowupID: 413385

Reply By: TonyT - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:26

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:26
July is WA school holidays I think- check out the Drysdale River Station website- it has a lot of info. plus a great explanation of the grader/GRR. I'll be there June/July (only time I can go) and don't care about the others travelling-they all want to see the things I do as well- I can always move on if it's getting a bit close- tonyT
AnswerID: 158874

Reply By: Warrie - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 21:37

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 21:37
Did GRR in Sept 05. Able to camp completely alone in some spots eg On banks of Gibb R where road to Kalumburu crosses. Manning Gorge $12.50/head was practically empty but a great 1hr walk to a magic swimming hole at the falls. Most waterfalls were just trickles and Leonard Gorge was a slime strewn mess but we had a swim anyway 'cause it was 35 plus degrees. Read Trek feedback for GRR. We want to go back and see it all again at the end of the wet when the roads etc have just reopened.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 159199

Sponsored Links