recovery points on current model Disco?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:02
ThreadID: 31468 Views:2554 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all, I'm taking amate and his family for an adventure to robe but I've seen the new Disco and there is little to no apparent recovery points as I expect it to get bogged given that it has about the same clearance as a Scubaroo... Who knows.. my GU may get bogged too and he may need to tow me out at times.. ( I am not so niaive to assume I'll get away without getting bogged indefenitly.)
Can anyone advise what they have attached snatch/winches too on the current model Disco.
Cheers all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: drivesafe - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:24

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:24
Hi Coyote, depending on whether the D3 has air suspension or not, the D3 has excellent clearance with out any modifications.

As to the recovery points, both have covers and particularly with the front recovery point, it would be advisable to remove the covers before going anywhere that you are likely to get bogged.

The front cover has about 11 or 12 plastic twist and release plugs that have to be removed before the cover comes off and the bulk of the plugs are right on the bottom of the cover.

The rear cover only has two plugs but again, they are underneath the bumper.

BTW if you haven’t seen a D3 in action, even in the hands of a beginner, you are in for one hell of a surprise.

There are only two other vehicles that have the same off road traction ability, the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sports.

Cheers
AnswerID: 158863

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:34
It doesn't have Air suspension and I've noticed the covers.. my main concern here was that in the manual I think they were referred to as anchor point or somethinglike that.. As it's not my vehicle I wasn't sure if these points would be considered 'recovery' points. Thanks for the tip.. I think we are talking about different Discos though.. this one hasn't been lifted or anything (or lowered for that matter) and it just looks very low.. I guess maybe I am biased as next to my lifted 05 GU it sits very differently onthe road (obviously though)
FollowupID: 413390

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:41

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:41
On coils, i'd be interested how it goes without all the gagets, cause with them there amazing.

Baz.
FollowupID: 413391

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 14:54

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 14:54
Hi Coyote, there is a recovery point, dead centre, front and rear.

I’m not sure what they call it in the manual but they are there and located in the centre of the front and the rear.

If you have a look in the manual, I haven’t looked in mine for a while, but from memory it does describe in detail where all the plugs are on the front cover. So if you get a chance, check it out and remove the front cover before heading off into the bog country.

Shame it’s not equipped with the air suspension and you are correct about it looking a bit low.

Cheers and have fun.
FollowupID: 413401

Reply By: Redback - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:36
Yep as above and if it has terrain responce it is capible of being raised 100mm with the push of a button.

I've seen these things in action, i'd be more concerned about your recovery points ;-)))

Baz.
AnswerID: 158875

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:46

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:46
thanks redback.. but no air suspension.. personaly i think it needs a 100mm lift.. I'm pretty sure it's base model. it cetainly seems to have the on road pick up etc to leave me in it's dust. ut as most know. on road performance may be very different to that of off rd. Cheers
FollowupID: 413392

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:50

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:50
Oh yeah very differant indeed, let us know how it handles the sand.

Baz.
FollowupID: 413393

Sponsored Links