NRMA Insurance response to query

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:20
ThreadID: 3151 Views:5749 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I recently sent a query to NRMA regarding accident damage that may occur in a 4WD park or on club trips. I'm posting it here for anyone who is interested.

This is my query -

" I have a 4wd insured under a comprehensive car policy with NRMA.

Is accident damage that occurs at a 4WD park, such as Boat Harbour 4WD Park near Kurnell, covered under comprehensive car insurance? I have heard that it may not be.

Also, is accident damage that occurs during a 4WD club trip covered?

I don't have any claims to make, but I would like the situation clarified
before I find out the hard way.

Thanks for your help...Savvas "

And their response -

"Dear Savvas,

Thank you for your email dated on the 28/01/2003, in relation to Motor

On behalf of NRMA Insurance Limited I am pleased to provide you with the following Insurance guidelines.

As the Motor vehicle Insurance policy booklet states, which covers
Comprehensive Insurance, your vehicle is covered for accidental or
malicious damage. There is no limitation to say the vehicle needs to be on a sealed or unsealed road.

Furthermore, there are no exclusions stated in the exclusions section for
off-road riding or driving, providing it is not used in connection to any
race including rally, trial, test or contest.

For more information, please refer to page 32 of the attached policy

(See attached file: Motor Ed 4 NSWACT.pdf)

Once again thank you for your enquiry and I hope this information assists you.

Yours sincerely,

Alvina Narayan
Internet Support Group
Insurance Australia Group (IAG)
Formerly NRMA Insurance Group
Phone: 1300 655 046
Fax: 02 9848 5228"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:19

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:19
From a real experience:
A fellow clubmember insured with NRMA rolled his 4wd in the Vic High country a few years back and his car was written off and fully covered by his insurance.
No questions asked
He was on a firetrail (very steep) at the time of the accident.

AnswerID: 12146

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:41

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:41
Anyone heard of similar claims experience with AAMI???
FollowupID: 7036

Follow Up By: Phil - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:58

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:58
Any experience with GIO?
FollowupID: 7039

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:27

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:27
Will ... That's comforting to know.

I originally put in the query based on an earlier thread about insurance hassles after an incident at Landcruiser Park in QLD.

Also reading through the policy booklet, there was an exclusion for damage that occurs at "club events". So I had to ask the question to them directly.

I think their reply is still a bit open in regards to the club events question.
FollowupID: 7041

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:57

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:57
This was a club trip and NRMA was informed, they still said OK.
On a clean up australia day where we used to go and help NPWS remove wrecks from the bush, we queried many insurance companies including NRMA and none of the vehicles would have been covered under such activities which saw a whole lot of members pull out of that activity.
As a rule now we feel comfortable doing normal trips (including club trips) but we would specifically call the insurance company for any other activity which may sound a little suspect ie: clean ups or helping NPWS etc...
FollowupID: 7044

Reply By: peter - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 07:00

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 07:00
i am insured with nrma. they gave me the same info verbally when i rang. said parks where ok. also said would cover any damage except if doing something stupid, like driving round the rocks at rainbow beach at high tide. half tide ok.
rang suncorp 2 years ago for a quote, no coveage at 4x4 parks
regards peter
AnswerID: 12232

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:52

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:52
I would get it in writing, over the phone doesnt mean poo sometimes, these are insurance companies after all!
FollowupID: 7095

Follow Up By: Rod - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:58

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:58
Truckster is right, get it in writing ! The N.R.M.A. requirement for them to give you coverage is to "tell them" so that can agree "and will cover you", i did this, both in person at an N.R.M.A office and over the phone, in both cases i asked them to notate that this conversation had in fact taken place, otherwise where is the record of notification ! They wouldn't do it (go figure) so i asked in writing and received a reply about 10 day's later, the wording of the reply is very close to what savaas got.
I originally asked a similar question on this forum about tcis insurance on jan 4th if you are interested, it may be relative to you.
Regards Rod.
FollowupID: 7099

Reply By: RHYLDON - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 13:01

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 13:01
Suncorp do cover for 4x4 parks it was spelled out to me from
the supervisor at the time that they do cover you.Same guidlines as nrma
AnswerID: 12256

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)