Engine M'ment chips

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 20:40
ThreadID: 31556 Views:2258 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have seen a few posts re installation of "chips" on vehicles with injection systems and I am at a loss to understand what is involved here. An acquaintence told me that he had installed a new chip in his Patrol and gained more power with better economy and that seems at odds to my poor old fashioned brain. Is there a link which will take me to previous posts or some technical pages I can visit? Are these things available for all makes and has anyone first hand experience with the little wonders? Hi-clone! Vaporite! Smoke n'mirrors or fair dinkum?

Kevin J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 20:58
Just searh for Dtronic, or superchip etc. Most of them are "Black Box" type thingos that plug into your current computer system and modify the factory settings.
AnswerID: 159390

Reply By: hopscotch - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 22:44

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 22:44
Thank you. Thats the clue I was seeking.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 159419

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 23:23
Not smoke and mirrors. Though claims of more power and reduced fuel consumptionh need to be tempered with the notion that it depends how u drive.

Basically the mapping for most standard chips errs on the side of caution, a little more fuel a little less power than optimum. After market chips take advantage of this.

On a normally aspirated diesel this can amount to a heck of a lot of extra power and conservatively driven, a bit better fuel consumption. For a hitech turbo diesel the gains are often a fair bit less.

Dave O
AnswerID: 159425

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 07:29

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 07:29
Here is a site which has info about the P box which has had good reviews on other forums. I personally do not have any experience with it.

http://www.steinbauer.cc/index.php?select_lang=aus
AnswerID: 159441

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 13:03

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 13:03
I get asked about all this chips all the time. The logic is fine, re-mapping makes sense, however I don't believe the bit about increased fuel consumption as I don't see why manufacturers would hold back on improving the use $1.34 per litre.! I would love to be able to walk into somewhere and drive a chipped Hilux or Navara or have them install one in my car with a money back guarantee.
AnswerID: 159491

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 16:10

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 16:10
Hopscotch,
I've put the DiTronic chip in my GU patrol, makes a difference, smoother and has better top end acceleration. Fuel consumption is slightly better but I suspect it could be better if I took more care. Watch the warranty if you chip your vehicle, if the warranty is still valid chipping the motor makes the warranty null and void be aware. Mines on a velcro strip just in case. Easy to remove.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 159529

Sponsored Links