Power Packs for Fridges

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 15:45
ThreadID: 31577 Views:4489 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Waeco FF90 fridge and it really struggles running on a 12v battery when it is not being charged by the vehicle. When I am on a fishing trip I have a Honda 2kva generator that runs the fridge and I use a battery charger to charge a battery at the same time (either a Waeco Thumper or 80AH battery) and then when the generator runs out of fuel it automatically switches to using the battery power that has just been on charge (through the mobitronic). The fridge really struggles while on 12v and after 4hrs on freeze it really starts cutting in and out all the time. My question is would I be better hooking up 2 12v batteries (maybe 30-60AH) as 24v - I think the fridge would run alot better on that? If so then how do I charge both the batteries while they are linked? Could I also hook my dual batteries up in my vehicle to have 24v from one cig socket without putting 24v through everything???? Any information/ideas would be great. Is there any 24v power packs available? If so I could then just buy a 24v charger and use that.
Thanks
JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8troopie - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 17:58

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 17:58
Its a bit unclear from your post, are you talking about a 12V fridge struggling to run of a 12V battery? If so your battery is either too small or it didn't get fully charged, especially since you seem to use the fridge as a freezer.
No, you should NOT run a 12V fridge on 24V unless you want to see it going up in smoke or its some dual DC voltage model fridge that I don't know about. If the fridge plate says 12V then that's what you run it on.

The 30-60Ah capacity you mention is nowhere near enough to run a fridge for one night in freezer mode. Keep in mind that you should use only half the battery capacity before recharging it. If you discharge it deeper it will take longer ( can be a lot longer) to recharge and it also reduces the battery life span.
Klaus
AnswerID: 159545

Reply By: Mike DiD - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 18:08

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 18:08
Others don't have trouble running their fridges on 12 volt - it would be a lot easier to find out what is wrong with your battery / wiring / connectors.

Buying a $20 Digital Multimeter would be a good start.

Mike
AnswerID: 159547

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 22:50

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 22:50
I agree with the others. There is a problem.

Possibly poor battery condition or wiring.

The Waeco can run on 24 volts but stick to 12 volts.

I would like more info on this one.

Regards Derek.

AnswerID: 159611

Sponsored Links