Re-think

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 20:36
ThreadID: 31590 Views:2083 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Having got some good advice on this forum re.Patrol 4.TD vs Landcruiser 4.2TD
I finally decided to go and use some common sense.
Instead of buying a 40K vehicle to learn the ropes in why not buy an old 4x4 instead....wow!¨!!!
Therefore I learn my mechanics skills, learn drive a 4x4 properly and most likely scratch the hell out of the paint and in probably roll it in a mud pit.

So I decide to spend $8-10000 on an old Patrol 4.2D or a Hilux 2.4.
I need something which won't breakdown on the way to the training course but should need spanner work. Hence I don't want a Land Rover :o)

Now the question.....maintaining either. Which will be the cheapest?
Fuel consumption isn't an issue as it won't be used for touring.
A proper 4.2TD Landcruiser will take on that honour in a years time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:04

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:04
Your a wise man
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 159579

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:12
You have chosen 2 very different 4x4s to compare & suggest you reassess your needs. To start with do you want a midsized or a large ute? Do you need to tow?
Having owned a very capable 2.4 Hilux a coil sprung Nissan in my opion would be better offroad although a little more expensive to repair.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 159581

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:36

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:36
I used exactly the same logic in 1974 when I bought a series 2 Landy. Learned enough to keep myself out of trouble I hope. Used to have some "unused " land not far away and I made a "test track", so that any mods could be checked. Land included creek crossing, side slope, sand, mud etc.
Had a ball until one night decided to charge up a dune...with a big soft sand hole at the base. Straight into the bottom of the dune. Select reverse, BANG. Thats when I learned about their rear axle problems.
Never could get the brakes right though.
One trip from Wollongong to corner country and back was enough to realize that I needed something that would do more than 80k/h, had some creature comforts and you didnt have to shout at the passenger.
AnswerID: 159591

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 22:04

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 22:04
if you are going to end up with a TD Cruiser why not get a high mileage early 80 Series to learn and practice on. You should be able to pick one up for low teens. You will probably get your money back when you sell it. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 159602

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 23:07

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 23:07
Go and drive both, you couldnt have picked 2 more opposite cars.

GQ will be the better buy as the 2.4 lux is commonly replaced being a slug.
AnswerID: 159614

Follow Up By: Andy H - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 00:19

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 00:19
I have two friends one owns the Patrol the other a Hilux.
The Hilux definately looks eaier to maintain...though I could be wrong!
FollowupID: 414257

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:40

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:40
Andy,

If you will eventually own a full size wagon then my opinion would be to buy a similar (but earlier version) vehicle. This way you will not put yourself in uncertain situations with your new one. If you end up going Nissan, the same motor may be available for you to work on in the ealier versions, thereby giving you a headstart on the maintainance schedule and tools required for your newie. A lot of early Nissan's have been REALLY TESTED so these need to be looked at with caution in my opinion.

Trevor.
AnswerID: 159674

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:02

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:02
Andy,

If it was me, and I accept that it is not, I would buy the Patrol. I have not owned a Hilux and will therfore not comment on what they are like but Patrol's, I've had a few. No regrets.

As others have suggested plenty of old Patrols have had a hiding, but there are plenty out there that have only taken the kids to school or towed the boat down to the ramp. Get one that looks clean and is reasonably standard and you will have a relatively reliable and very capable vehicle. You will also have the advantage of having a vehicle which you can tour comfortably in as you get more confident. Mine had 300,000km on when I set off for Cape York.

I now own a 2002 4.2 TD GU. It is not the perfect vehicle but it is not bad. Yeah it has limitations but they are not significant and I have learnt to accomodate them in the way I drive. I might suggest that you will have to live with the compromise that any vehicle brings. Over teh years in three different Patrols I have toured alongside Range Rovers, Landrovers:- County and Disco, Landcruiser 80, 100 and Troopy, and the 3.0l GU, I have never been wishing I was in the other car

I can say this of my 3 Patrols, MQ 200k, GQ 385k and GU less than 100k, but still counting. I have never once been unable to get home.

That's probably not worth 2c but it's what I know.

I do think the idea of a roughy to learn in is a very good idea.

Duncs
AnswerID: 159683

Sponsored Links