2006 jayco eagle camper trailer

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:56
ThreadID: 31619 Views:27216 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hello all..
i'm just writing on behalf of my parents who are currently considering buying a camper trailer, in particular the jayco eagle(2006model). From reading several reviews on this forum it seems that there are a few re-accuring problems with them, i.e they leak water, the doors play up and something about the fridge not working properly. Does anybody know if such problems are true, my thoughts are that people are just not looking after them as well as they could. What do you think???

Any feed back on these jayco camper trailers, both negative and postive, would be greatly appreciated. my opinion is that they look and sound like great getaway items . So please anybody who owns one or who just knows a little about them, let us know ur opinion and the pro's and con's you find these camper trailers have.

thanks guys..
adam..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:13

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:13
Adam. I don't own a Jayco and I haven't read the reviews you refer to but... you are insinuating that those who posted the reviews were either negligent owners or they lied. Why would someone post something about a problem if it doesn't exist?
Further there is not likely to be too many 2006 model owners and if the problems you mention did exist it could be that Jayco have fixed them on the 2006 model.
Cheers from the Moose.
AnswerID: 159711

Reply By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 16:02

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 16:02
G'day Adam,
I have a Coromal off road CT and had no problems at all - other than my son nicks it now & then to head up the coast. Other people have had problems though!

I also have a Patrol and if you do a search u will find 1001 issues raised in the forum. At the end of the day judge for yourself and buy what u like most - not what other peole want u to buy.

Met a bloke up Cape York last year with a Jayco (04 I think) and said it was a dream.

Cheers
AnswerID: 159735

Reply By: Anthony - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 17:00

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 17:00
Hi Adam,

I have an Jayco '03 Dove Outback, which is a bit smaller than the Eagle. We are yet to do any tough outback track, currently plan 10 plus week trips for later this and next year on central and north western Oz tracks.

While I know that the Jayco is not as strong as many off road trailers available, it still is quite capable off road. I have read many reports and spoken to people that have taken a Jayco camper on the Gibb River and other like track - some with and some without problems. I think that if you get a Jayco and intend to do a lot of tough tracks you would need to do a bit of research and work to prepare a Jayco to reduce the chance of things going wrong, as much as, driving to suit the road conditions.

I think they are good value. I acknowlege that they are not as strong as some and I need to do a few mod's to reduce the chance of things failing (ie shocker mounts breaking, water taps being hit by stones). The other half and the kids like it, so I now get to go camping more often than before. cheers Anthony
AnswerID: 159745

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 21:07

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 21:07
Adam, have a Goldstream myself. Have a friend who had a Jayco. He had the springs lengthened which altered the harshness of the ride. He used Landcrusier springs for a longer reach . other than that no prblems. As suggested before. EAch to his own. If they like then it for them. Give it a work out whilst it is under warranty
AnswerID: 159805

Reply By: hanson - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 00:56

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 00:56
Hi Adam,
I suppose i speak from both sides of the fence, I owned a 2004 jayco outback flamingo and basicly you got what you pay for. I modified the suspension ie welded gussetts onto both top and bottom of shock asorbers, also welded above and parrell to the axle onto underneath of floor box tubing and then added coil springs from axle to box tubing, and we did Gibb River Rd Up to Kalumburu and onto Mitchell Plateau. .... BUT without the modifications you would have a big issue. I saw on the same trip 3 other off road jaycos with broken shock asorbers. Also dust got in very easily, the cupboards need a bit of reinforcing and put light items on the shelves and heavier goods cans of food etc on floor in cupboards. The other problem we had was a couple of rivets popping out of door, but had that fixed at Drysdale Station. With hindsight I probably would have bought a coromal camper. Now we have a coromal off road pop up van and did Gibb River Rd again and no modifications and no problems whatso ever.
hope thats of some help .... Ric
AnswerID: 159845

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 19:45

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 19:45
G'day adamb, We have a 2003 Jayco Dove, as mentioned it is a bit smaller than the eagle but can assure you it is plenty big enough. Yeah! there are little things that I added, but on the whole it's is very good on and off road.
We did a 11 week trip to the gulf country from Kurrumba to Katherine, Alice to Boulia then home through the snowy mountains and onto Jindabine to Buchan.
Yeah! the shocks aren't good(blew one up) but the mounts are fine, the water tank is exposed( but that's fixed)
There is always some things you want to personalize!
andy
AnswerID: 159973

Reply By: pojo - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 20:44

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 20:44
After owning a jayco van i now realise that they are built to a certain standard and price ,look very hard at what you want and what you want to pay as it is too late after you have spent your hard earned money and then you are beating your head against a brick wall when you have problems as thet dont want to know you speaking from experience.
AnswerID: 159977

Reply By: Warrie - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:43

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:43
One repairers advice was that it's better to damage an older, less expensive van on some remote track than a new one. Our 1979 model swan doesn't even have shocks but I did weld gussets on the spring hangers but didn't change 10mm U - bolts to 16 until after they snapped!! Try some sort of snorkel/air ram to pressurise the van to keep out the dust. The flying stones will be like shrapnel on the underbody so put protective covers on the water tank, piping and wiring. Oh well, a sandblasted A- frame and mudguards is a sign you've been somewhere.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 160052

Sponsored Links