synthetic oil

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 18:13
ThreadID: 3162 Views:1574 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What effect does using synthetic oil have on oil pressure? Would it increase, decrease or remain unaffected? Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:28

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:28
I would think it would be the same...

But I do know on GQ's that different filters make differences in how fast the oil pressure comes up.

Only use Genuine or Rycos... Dont Use Coopers I think they are.
AnswerID: 12206

Reply By: Dave - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:35

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:35
Peter,
you will find that synthetic oil will have a better viscosity range than mineral oil.
Synthetic will retain a heavier(higher)viscosity in hot weatherand also a lower (decrease)in cold weather.
Oil pressure should be better under all conditions and the extra expense is well worth it.
I changed from mineral oil to synthetic years ago and would not go back.

cheers,
Dave.
AnswerID: 12208

Reply By: kezza - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 21:29

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 21:29
Hi peter

A fact - irrespective of filters, mineral and or synthetic oils the oil pressure which you can notice or measure will be affected by 3 things
1/ Viscosity of the oil - wether it be mineral or synthetic,
2/ state of the engine in terms of wear - low oil pressure is usually a function of engine wear
3/ Temperature - contrary to popular belief its not the oil that changes but ... as an engine gets hotter the tolerances increase and hence oil pressure may drop as it meets less resistance within the engine.

You will not notice or measure any change in pressure as the oil ages as other factors will be more noticable than any physical change in the oil.
(if it gets to that stage you will be damaging your engine synthetic or mineral - my opinion)

Synthetic oils will perform better under these conditions but you will not notice the difference with your pressure guage.

Once full of oil an oil filter will not have any discernable effect on oil pressure or speed of pressurizing.

Fact - not just my opinion

Happy slippin

kezza

AnswerID: 12210

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 00:15

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 00:15
Hey Peter,

Here is a link to a really interesting 26pg document (don't worry, it's easy reading) that was written by Michael Kaufman a fella who works for an oil company and participates in research. It is incredibly frank report and well worth the read. Kezza, I'm not sure but you may want to read it and also comment as some of the comments in the report are to a certain extent dissimilar to some of yours, nothing earth bleep tering though.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 7082

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 00:16

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 00:16
Sorry, the PDF file will download from:

http://www.motor-oil-bible.com/free-mob.pdf

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 7083

Follow Up By: Kezza - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 02:10

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 02:10
Slunnie the guy has some interesting but not really practical points - BUT does your vehicle experience better than -30 degree temperatures and will your oil pressure guage tell you when your oil is kaput??

Lets get this in perspective.

A good oil in a modern motor is good for 10,000 ks with oil filter change the debate is wether a miser can save a few bucks and extend this interval???

Why bother???

THIS GUY IS ALSO TALKING ABOUT PROLONGING THE LIFE OF THE OIL - IF YOU USE A GOOD OIL AND CHANGE IT AND THE FILTERS AT THE RECCOMENDED INTERVAL (OR every 10,000k at the most OR 5000 ks if you have a turbo whats the problem - so you save 10 bucks now and have to replace the motor sooner???)

If you listen to this guy you will have nightmares because your engine will need a major rebuild at 300,000ks instead of 330,000ks too much detail for something which typically ends up at the wreckers before the 300,000k mark

SORRY BUT THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE POLICY IS TO USE A GOOD OIL ( I USE PENRITE FOR MOST THINGS NOW) and change oil and filters at the reccommended intervals.

This debate is purely academic and not at all practical.

I would accept any advice from fleet owners who have kept the stats on maintence costs over a period of 5 or more years but you will find that for an individual there would be bugger all difference.

especilly when so many other things can influenmce the life of the motor

Have you ever kept a vehicle for much more than 300,000ks ? - unless you are a commercial operator and even then other things go wrong that necessitate an engine rebuild and even then you would rather rebuild for reliablity anyway.................???

As newer motors come onto the market with new reccomendations I would chance my stance but for most of us - the oils we have access to are fine if we just change them when suggested !!

my opinion

kezza
FollowupID: 7135

Reply By: SteveA - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:22
Just spark the debate a little further on synthetic oil, what about the oil seals within the engine?
Are they good enough to cope with the change from mineral to synthetic?
AnswerID: 12213

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:29

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:29
was not my intention to "spark the debate on synthetic oil". I was genuinely interested on the affect it had on oil pressure as answered by kezza, hot / cold weather etc.
FollowupID: 7074

Reply By: kezza - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:28

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 22:28
No difference - not many seals to worry about if seals leak replace em

kes
AnswerID: 12215

Sponsored Links