Troopie dual battery

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 14:53
ThreadID: 31652 Views:2714 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
i am looking to fit a redarc battery isolator with an AGM battery in the rear of my troopie (TD), wondering if it makes any difference wether the isolator is fitted closer to the main battery with a long run of wire(6 B&S) to the aux in the rear or wether the isolatar should be near the aux battery with a long run from the main to the isolator.

is it best to earth the aux back to the main or to the chassis.

Also grateful for wiring ideas for wiring from the aux to 3 outlets fridge, HF and fluro

appreciate any help or guidance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 17:43

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 17:43
John,
I don't think it really matters which end of the cable it's installed. I'd just put it where it's most convenient. For me, I'd put it under the bonnet. Only thing I would advise is a fuse or fusible link of say 80 to 100 amps at each end of the 6 B&S going to the auxilliary battery.
For optimum reliability I'd run a ground back to the main battery. Or even better in my opinion, ground your auxilliary battery under the same bolt as the main battery.
No particularly brilliant ideas for connecting your auxilliary batteries beyond big cable and fuse the circuit as close as possible to the battery.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 159957

Reply By: Pterosaur - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 17:48

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 17:48
John,

Redarc installation pamphlet recommends that the wire between the isolator and the main battery be as short as is possible.

Any particular reason for not fitting your 2nd battery under the bonnet ? I have 2 on the LHS of my 78 series troopy, and have seen setups where 3 were fitted along the same guard.

I use different circuits from the auxilary to the fridge and other items.

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 159960

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 18:59

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 18:59
Hi John

I have had best results from mounting Redarc units in the bonnet.

They are very sensitive to voltage drop.

Keep your wire run as short as possible and use at least 6 B&S but don't use the jump start function unless you go to at least 2 or 3 B&S.

If you fit a fuse you can't use the jump start function at all.

Make sure to insulate the cable well where it passes through the fire wall.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 159968

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 20:26

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 20:26
John,
this thought from derek -> " They (Redarc) are very sensitive to voltage drop. Keep your wire run as short as possible and use at least 6 B&S but don't use the jump start function unless you go to at least 2 or 3 B&S. "

Could that go some way to explain why Redarc don't recomend using AGM batteries wired in parallel with Cranking batteries ????
FollowupID: 414600

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:40

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:40
That's old theory Mainey.
This was extensively debated here
www.exploroz.com/Forum/Answer.asp?ForumQID=31280
and the conclusion was that "identical batteries are needed in a parallel dual battery setup" is a myth that should have been buried a long time ago.

FollowupID: 414703

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 14:50

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 14:50
Ray, which part is "old theory"

Derek's statement about 'Redarc solenoids being very sensitive to voltage drop" ???

Derek sells them, so I would expect he would know the Redarc product very well and as an advertiser here on EO he would also only be posting technically correct information ?

-OR-

Is it that Redarc don't recommend using two different batteries with their solenoid?

I’ve read post 31280, I participated and also fully understand it.

I use two totally & very "different" batteries in my vehicle, even far more "different" than any AGM battery is, after all I need a CRANK battery to start it, and then I choose to use 2 x Delkor DC27 DEEP CYCLE batteries, wired in parallel to run the fridge and accessories.

After using a Redarc & then a Piranha DBE150, I changed to a Rotronics Electronic Isolator system, so now I get 2 x fully charged Deep Cycle batteries.
(remember the old advert slogan "when your on a good thing - stick with it")
I will stick with my Rotronics Isolator to recharge the 2 x Deep Cycle batteries and it does this with-out problems, they test @ 12.7 Volts (not surface voltage of 14.4v) when fully charged, so does that mean they are only 70% or 80% charged?
They often test at a slightly higher charge than the Overlander 700cca, 17 plate cranking battery L0L
FollowupID: 414712

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 15:29

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 15:29
>Ray, which part is "old theory"

having to use identical batteries in a dual battery setup.

>Derek sells them, so I would expect he would know the Redarc product >very well and as an advertiser here on EO he would also only be >posting technically correct information ?

Yeah like his advise to place fuses at the appliance not the battery, reason being less voltage drop, Honestly Mainey the mind boggles with this advice.

I>’ve read post 31280, I participated and also fully understand it

great so that's settled. I'm pleased we agree.

It's great that your system works for you Mainey but remember there are numerous ways to skin a cat.

FollowupID: 414715

Reply By: John - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:05

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:05
Thanks guys, very much appreciate the advise,

i will mount the Redarc in the engine bay, the reason for going into the rear was to keep the AGM battery away from the turbo heat which i have been advised kills them.

is is possible to use one wire with spurs to the fridge, hf , ect obviously each spur would need to be fused.??

Again very much appreciate the advise

thanks

John
AnswerID: 160054

Follow Up By: brian - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:07

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:07
wire to hf should be totally seperate not a spur to minimise radio interferance refer to radio manufacturers info,in the case of a barret a 25 amp fuse is recommended,you might not want your fridge and lights waiting for a 25 amp fuse to blow ,could have frasseled fridge and /or lights.
the hf wires are best kept away from other power cables as well to reduce interference
FollowupID: 414700

Sponsored Links