NEW 4x4 REGULATIONS

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:13
ThreadID: 31666 Views:4456 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I been hearing from alot of people about supposedly new regulations governmening 4x4 modifications and accessories....do you guys know much about them? Heard a few things like if you have air-bags then you cant body-lift, the most lift you will be allowed is 4" overall, icluding no more than 2"increase diameter tyre size, body lift and suspension.

Stuff like this doesnt give you much to play with and how many blokes out there will have to waste money removing or replacing their goods to get their cars legal again -

what do they expect from us fourby drivers? A 4x4 buy-back like the gun buy-back?

TUFF_IFS_LUX
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:03

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:03
I don't think the guns were modified, & the ones that were certainly wouldn't be handed back!
AnswerID: 160053

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:27

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:27
shaker..i know of a lot of guns that were junk (spare parts stuff only) which were modified to made illegal by putting in drop saw and cutting barrel to less than 4 inches so thay can be handed in and get better than new price...

those others you talk of one needs to speak to the bikies i guess
FollowupID: 414741

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:30

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:30
If its true - what will Australian 4WD Monthly fill its pages with? Half the book is about mega modifications!

Oh dear!

Max
AnswerID: 160063

Follow Up By: Utemad - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:52

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:52
And you think they are legal now in all States?
FollowupID: 414697

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 21:22

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 21:22
Find it hard to believe - I do wonder about the "engineer's certificate" they are supposed to have.

Funny how the enthusiastic converters seem to get all their fancy parts and conversion work done by big advertisers though ...
FollowupID: 414783

Reply By: hoyks - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:49

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:49
Yes there is a draft national code for vehicle modification and it can be viewed here:
draft code

there is a bit of a write up in 4x4 Austraila this month too.
Basically you will need engineer to approve anything that lifts the vehicle more than 50mm and won't get approval for anything more than 150mm.

You will need engineer for any mods to the exhaust system, even a turbo to a diesel or a 3" exhaust system.
AnswerID: 160072

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:52

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 13:52
This will come about if it's true from the actions and big mouths of the anti-Bull bar lobbyists and the anti 4x4 lobbyists, Stand up for our rights,We beat em with the CBs when they were illegal in the 70s,Governments will listen to minority groups because majority groups remain silent .Who remembers Razorback,I was at Kalkallo .It's going to be a battle if you live in the Big Smokes.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 160073

Follow Up By: TUFF IFS LUX - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 15:33

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 15:33
What happened with Razorback? please explain

TUFF_IFS LUX
FollowupID: 414717

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:25
Doug

This new code is only a draft and was released to the public so that the public can make a COMMENT on it.

There's not much point in huffing and puffing about "standing up for our rights" like a spoilt teenager, if we are not prepared to make a comment when we are asked for it.

R.
FollowupID: 414881

Follow Up By: c j - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:29

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:29
robak,

You might want to have a read and talk to your State Authority as it appears that this is no longer a Draft but is now in place.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/PDF/NCOP1_PREFACE_3Feb2006.pdf
FollowupID: 415031

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:28

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:28
cj

Thanks for the link. It seems to have been "approved in principle" and then accepted at the begining of this year at a "teleconference." (very official)

As this is a national "code of practice" rather then an act of parliament it is probably not really enforcable on it's own. As transoprt is a state matter, I guess each state would refer to it in it's own legislation.

The section that we would be most interested in, is the tyres, rims, suspension and steering

Overall I think it's a good document which clearly defines what can and cannot be done with refrerences to the specific ADR's. Whether it allows us enough freedom is another matter.

Which brings me to my original point. If a set of rules are open to us for discussion and we don't take up the opportuinty to voice our concerns, any later opposition on the new rules are likely to fall on deaf ears.

If we give some input to the new rules at their inception, whether our concerns are taken up or not, we have greater might in their amendements later on. Nobody listens a foot-stomping crybaby after the fact.

The preface mentions that the "NCOP has been prepared in consultation with industry, user groups and governement agencies" and the 4wd clubs and individuals who made the effort to put in a submission are to be applauded for their work.

It also mentions that this is a "live document", so the groups that took part in the original submission will have the greatest power in it's amenendments. All those armchair rebels who yell for "somebody" to do something and talk of protests, only further tarnish our already negative image in the community.

I did not put in my own submission, as for the areas that I drive, I don't need a suspension lift of over 150mm and therefore could not outline the benefits of having one.

R.
FollowupID: 415159

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:15

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:15
I remember razorback trucks blockaded highways with no regard to general public caused financial loss to wide section of community. But won their point re licencing cb,s.
AnswerID: 160087

Follow Up By: brian - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:17

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:17
Buggar where is that edit key??? meant to finish by saying i hope we dont see anything like razorback again there are better ways to get the point across....
FollowupID: 414721

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:16

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:16
Hi Brian
It was a blockade to get rid of the crippleling Road Tax , that was the main issue , Damn long time ago now but i think there may have been a few other issue bought to the surface ,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414737

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:21

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:21
I guess back in 79 mate whenthings were tough [still are] and the Wran Government was pig-headed they had to take drastic action, I had someone else wanting to know what Razorback was about but can't even find any info on the internet now,just that there is a monument on Razorback connected to the event.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414739

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:29

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 16:29
Unfortunate as these regs will be a line probably does need to be drawn in the sand to avoid dangerous vehicles on the roads. If these highly modified rigs were only used on private property or offroad parks the issues would be only minor but many think it's OK to double the power & wheel size & jack it up 20 cm but still expect to drive down the road with the public. Enineered correctly it is possible to to retain braking & handling but most rarely get it right. For example a friend who bolted on 37" tyres & screwed up the turbo for more grunt has found his standard brakes will no longer stop the car like they did. The majority of people who disagree with the future system may just have cars that shouldn't be on the road?????
Cheers Craig.......
285 tyres
3" lift
AnswerID: 160089

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:24

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 19:24
Hi Craig
Yes I agree with your comments, I have seen some 4x4s that they must carry a small ladder to get in, they must be very unstable on or off the road , ie center of gravity ,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 414740

Reply By: c j - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:25
You may want to have a read.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/PDF/NCOP1_PREFACE_3Feb2006.pdf

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/PDF/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_ncop.aspx

Also last week I have been told this by VicRoads:

"The code of practice has not yet been formally picked up in legislation but
nevertheless is considered to apply in Victoria. There are no substantial
differences between the code of practice and what prevailed before in
Victoria. "

My Engineer also seems to be working to this and will not allow a tyre dia. increase of more than 50mm.
AnswerID: 160145

Sponsored Links