Sandy Blight Junction Rd Closed

Submitted: Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:19
ThreadID: 31703 Views:1806 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I have recently been trying to get a permit to travel down the Sandy Blight Junction Rd from the Gary Junction Rd to the Great Central Rd.

My application for a permit was rejected by the Central land Council on the grounds that the road is closed to all traffic due to it being in "bad condition", and that "no permits will be issued for this track".

Does anyone have any insight into the reasons for this closure? No doubt wrangling over who will pay for grading and upkeep...

I am very disappointed that I, and other fellow travellers, will not have the opportunity to travel on this road and see some of the great country in the area. My truck is very well set up for remote travel on rough tracks and would have no difficulty with the SBJ Rd. It would certainly handle the conditions far better than some of the 2wd cars that regularly ply these tracks and are seen littered by the roadside.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MickO13 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:04

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:04
Had the same problem myself. On applying for a transit permit I was advised by the Ngaanyatjarra Council that the track had been closed due to it's poor condition. The traditional owners (council elders) are negotiating with State and Fed Govt's as to who is responsible for it's maintenance. Could not give me any indication as to when the problem may resolve itself. Happy travelling.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160278

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:29

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 20:29
While they negotiate over who maintains it, the very thing that keeps it usable (traffic) is stopped and the road will close forever. It is about time this track was put on the register of iconic heritage tracks, and its use protected.

AnswerID: 160281

Reply By: austinrunner - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:25

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:25
This was included in the Westprint Friday Five newsletter that I received today by email:

"I had a similar experience last year with this road. This track requires an entry permit, rather than a transit permit that applies to most other tracks we use. The problem as it was explained to me was that the Kintore community, while insisting on seeing all these applications, were not set up to process them and the Central Land Council was having difficulty communicating with the community. I'd recommend if you wish to use this road that you submit an application and pursue it vigorously.

"By the way, at the North end of this track there is only a notice warning that it is suitable only for four wheel drive vehicles - no mention of a need for permits or any warning of entry conditions."
AnswerID: 162782

Follow Up By: Kelpies on Tour - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:09

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:09
Thanks for the advice austinrunner.

I ended up applying directly to the Kintore community as an entry permit. Sent the fax to them directly. However, they must have flick passed it to the Central Land Council, because it was they who responded with the rejection.

I am really disappointed by this - I don't know when we will next get the opportunity to travel that part of Australia and I feel that we are being denied the opportunity because of petty bickering between different groups.
FollowupID: 417947

Sponsored Links