MTRs didnt last long

Submitted: Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:16
ThreadID: 31713 Views:2336 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I would go Back to the spot I went last weekend s/w of Bulla Bulling to walk in to find Nallerine rock which was marked on the map without tracks leading to it. The previos attempt to drive in had been unsuccessful and ended up with a sidewall stake. This time I thought I would try lower pressures so dropped the tyres to 28psi - big mistake , I didnt make it 10 minutes down the reasnably well formed track before the sound of rushing air called a halt. Damn it a brand new 285 dollar tyre with a 2cm sidewall gash. It took 4 worms and I guess it will have to be replaced.
Didnt find the rock either. Extensive foot search revealed there was no rock just a few granite pieces barely breaking the surface. I kept heading South and Met up with the Holland track near Agnes Soakand headed home stopping off at Victoria Rocks for some lunch.
Back to the rag tyres coz running radials is just to damn expensive
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:29

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:29
There you go Davoe.

It is costly

I am running 12 ply MRF's this travel season as there is a bit of offroad stuff involved
AnswerID: 160322

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:34

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:34
Hey Willem
What are those MRF's like on the road? Thinking of getting some for the next trip to WA but it's a long way from Victoria on crossplies. Is the handling in the woeful category and the noise level such that I will need ear protection? How much did you pay for them if you have the 750x16, or there abouts?
Michael
FollowupID: 415069

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:40

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:40
Yea but I purpodely didnt even take tyhem off track--- Oh well I guess that is 4wding. Are you running the 12 ply super traction or the 16 ply less aggressive super lug? The supertraction Howl like banshees on the highway and I need it in 4wd on gravel roads as the grip is woefull - but they are bald. In mud they are great as they still retain the sideblocks despite being bald
FollowupID: 415076

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:23

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:23
Michael and Davoe

I do not have the MRF's as yet. At the moment I am running a new set of Cooper STT's on the wagon and Eldorado ZTR's on the trailer.

I am 'lending' my Eldorados to a mate and he in turn is 'lending' me the wheels off my old G60 with new 12 ply MRF's on(not sure if they are Supertraction but my mate reckons their ride is a tad softer).

Apart from a bit of bitumen up to Alice Springs there will be a lot of gravel roads, bush tracks and offroad driving this year.

It remains to be seen how the MRF's handle.
FollowupID: 415142

Reply By: pt_nomad - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:59

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:59
I picked up my MTR's from Beaurepaires, I chose them because they offer the road hazard warranty and they price was competative will other sources I tried.
Having had a few sid walls go in BFG AT's, I was accutaly aware off how exepensive it is to replaces supposedly tough tyres.
I got a miniscule hole in the side wall of a MTR with about 8K on it. Took it back to the dealer and he gave my a newie for $50 - tread used and purchasing warranty on the replacment ($18).
After all the stories I have read about the Coopers warranty being next to useless, I was very relieved with the attitude with the boys at beaurepaires Braddon ACT.
When I first took it in, I told em there was v small side wall puncture, he said it needs replacing. I told him it was a warranty job, he said no probs. He was aware the puncture occured in the bush on the broken cart FT, he could not give a damn.
Prior to this I took the rubber in for the first inspection. The card says you can be up for an alignment etc. He looked over the tyres and said well see ya for the next inspection.
I'll happily deal with these blokes for future tyres.
AnswerID: 160350

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:35

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:35
Hi Pt_Nomad
Good to hear you are happy with Beaurepaires but I am interested in the MRF tyres. What are they like on the bitumen. Noisy? Poor handling? Poor tracking? Interested to know for the next trip and a bit of offroad travel.
FollowupID: 415340

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:48

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:48
yes noisy as all hell even on dirt roads wear fairly quickly when new, dont handle at all well in comparison to AT tyres, your vehicle is illegal running them, really need to be mounted on split rims if you intend on fixing punctures in the feild etc etc etc. they are a dedicated off road and off track tyre probably best suited 60/40 thats 60% off road and 40%off track the fact you are asking questions like that indicates they will not be suitable for you
FollowupID: 415473

Follow Up By: pt_nomad - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:50

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:50
Michael,
My mistake, I was not aware of MRF tyres and thought it was an typo on MTR.
I have no experience with MRF tyres. Seems Davoe does not think much of them.
Paul.
FollowupID: 415520

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:53

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:53
Davoe
Thanks for your comments although I did take a certain amount of exception to the last statement, as you have no idea what my next trip may entail.
FollowupID: 415522

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:23

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:23
Sorry I think alot of them and have had a good run out of mine BUT they are a dedicated off road/track tyre and as such they do not compramise on handling noise etc they are for one job and one job only
Sorry if the last comment offended but I was telling it like i saw it if you are worried about any aspect of the tyre besides offroad/offtrack performance MFR are not for you.
If you are actually enquiring about MTR then I would say as far as |I have noticed noise is minimal although more than an AT all other aspects of ride and ride quality are fine. I have however found there durability in Off road situations suspect as i have suffered 4 flats in 3 trips with at least one a throwaway (one flat could not be attributesd to the tyre as far as |i know) this in tyres less than 2000km old
FollowupID: 415529

Sponsored Links