noisy campers

Submitted: Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:35
ThreadID: 31716 Views:3335 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just spent 3 nights at Huggett's Crossing, north east of Heyfield, Vic with club. Very dry and dusty. One group of trail bikers (not kids, around 30 yrs) next to us. Other family groups about. Second night about 12.30am the bikers start racing around camp site in 4wd, reving up bikes, loud music and foul language. Some fellas asked them to quieten down. Got verbally abused. Noise went on for 2 to 3 hours. During the day they had DVD playing, Xbox and music. What can you do about this? Had it before. Can't work out why people go to quiet bush to foul it up with noise and have no consideration for others.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:43

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:43
In this day and age, your suprised about people not having concern for others?

While I agree 100000% with you about not needing xbox, capachino machine, etc this could have been their one holiday a year to get away and ride, drink and be merry.

After day 1, I would have moved, actually I would have probably moved when they turned up.

This is why I HATE going away on long weekends, it just aint worth it...
AnswerID: 160332

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:51

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:51
Had the same problems at Huggerts awhile ago.

11 pm one night a group of guys with mini bikes arrived and started to ride them around the camp ground at 11.30 pm.

We were leaving the next morning and thought we would wake them as we left, they beat us to it 6 am they are out and riding around again.

Another group of trail bikers made the comment that these ar$eholes give all bike riders a bad name.

I tried to ring the Bush Telegraph number manned by parks, you guessed it number rang out.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 160338

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:53

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:53
You find a secluded spot and mobs like that pull up within 3m. Then they act surprised when you ask them why they brought their mobile disco with them. It's nothing new believe me.
And its often not the kids. Worst mobs I've met were oldies (and yes I'm one). Fair dinkum, they act like they've just been freed from jail. I felt like asking where were their parents :))
AnswerID: 160339

Reply By: SteveL - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:26

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:26
The only way to escape the idiots is to go further into the scrub (2hrs from the nearest bottle shop is usually far enough) and camp in spots where there isn't enough space for larger groups.-Steve
AnswerID: 160345

Follow Up By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:31

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 23:31
Yup agree with SteveL on this moving on is the best way to deal with this type of situation because it can get kind of messy sometimes if you try and quite them down.
FollowupID: 415093

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:03

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:03
What is acceptable these days? When we go camping we always take music and like to have the stereo cranking around the camp fire. We always turn it way back when we see people around the place are going to bed and do the right thing...but what is the right thing these days?
AnswerID: 160360

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 08:02

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 08:02
What was the right thing on every other day too: consider others before yourself.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 415126

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:58

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:58
Troll

I work on this principle

"if someone else can hear my radio, it's too loud". No matter what time of the day it is.

R
FollowupID: 415162

Follow Up By: Scoey - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:56

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:56
When my mates and I go camping we tend not to play radios, cd's etc but we DO generally pull out a guitar most nights and belt out a few songs around the campfire. I guess the radio would be more pleasant to listen to than us idiots but for some reaosn the guitar never gets any comments. I tend to be fairly concious of others around me as well. On the flip side there are times of the year and certain places that are prone to idiots being loud and behaiving recklessly - if you visit these places at these times then perhaps you don't have that much cause for complaint? Just a thought.
Cheers
Scoey.
FollowupID: 415240

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:36

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:36
WE had the same thing in Hill End years ago. One group set up six tents surrounding the toilets and they upped the heary metal music and poured down the grog till about 3 am. We fixed them, We got up at 6am, cranked up the stereo with classical musical and packed up very noisily. We slammed doors made a hell of a racket. We gave their sore heads some of their own back, They were not happy. we moved to another camp site. Fortunately we were the only other campers so we could return the favor... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 160392

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:33

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:33
Nothing like a little Pavarotti at 6am or earlier. Nessun Dorma would be particularly effective I think :))))))
FollowupID: 415250

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:23

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:23
Nothing worse than a bunch of blokes on the bleep stuffing it up for everybody else, sorry I've been in tough situations with mates who have done it where I feel like I am the only one telling them to behave, when they decide to go off. Not much you can do other than walk over and ask them in a very nice way to quieten down.? I know a Parks Vic ranger very well and he used to get very scared walking into certain camp sites because of various issues. He used to secretly watch the camp site before deciding whether it was safe to go in or leave it all together.! Once you are out in the middle of nowhere it can get hard to deal with.
AnswerID: 160431

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:20

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:20
I don't blame him. Even coppers are very wary these days, with good reason.

Regards
FollowupID: 415248

Reply By: Jodi - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:28

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 13:28
Unfortunately we have the same problems over and over again. We no longer go away on long weekends for this reason and we go as far into the scrub to areas that are so difficult to get to just to avoid these people just in case. We recently found a wonderful spot and the first comment was - this one's our secret. Sad but true. We didn't want word getting around and others fouling it up with toilet paper, empty cans and noise...
AnswerID: 160432

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:25

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:25
Don't feel bad - I've got a few places like that.

Likewise with long weekends / Easter etc. unless I'm going at _least_ 5 hours from Melbourne I don’t bother - even then you can get bleep s from the country towns.

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again: around 90% of the trail bike riders I have come across in the bush have been very inconsiderate of other people in all sorts of ways - there just seems to be something about noisy trail bikes which attracts noisy, rude people and a number of you, no doubt, read this forum - so please quieten down people and respect others a bit more and if you really want to behave like bleep s then do it somewhere you're at least 10km from other people. And while I’m at it, fit exhaust systems which don’t force everybody in a 3km radius to listen to your bike.

Mike Harding
(Who has held a motorcycle licence longer than many trail bike riders have been alive).

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 415268

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 22:15
Maybe they are related to the scum that have rapidly destroyed this camping area since the access track was "upgraded".
The DSE had put in defined camping spots, fireplaces & "bush" tables & benches.
All of the tables etc have been cut up & burnt, despite the fact that firewood is everywhere in that area. I passed through there the other day & hardly recognised the place for all the damage that has been done.
AnswerID: 160542

Sponsored Links