Keys when out camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 03:59
ThreadID: 31746 Views:3879 Replies:20 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
What do you guys do with your keys when out camping? I always have a fear of losing the keys in the sand or around the camp site, so first thing I do when I park at the campsite and have finished unloading is wind the windows down a little and then put the keys in the tent. This does become a pain when I have to move the car...I am lazy and don't like walking 20 meters and going in the tent move the car and put the keys back in the tent? Allot of the times I leave the keys in the car for the stereo but what about the times you don't need the stereo..?

Is anyone in the same boat or do you just leave the keys in the car? What about a spare key do you guys take a spare key on trips?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:26

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:26
Giday Troll, I have a spare key cable tied under the truck, & the missus has a spare set in her h/bag all the time [finding thats a mission in it's self] & I usually just chuck mine UNDER the tent if we are leaving the camp, no dramas so far..
whatcha doin up at 3 in the bloody morn anyway!!... cya. Phil
AnswerID: 160577

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:51

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:51
Phil, I live in the USA at the moment...day time for me :)

So you take 3 set of keys on a trip? Have you ever had the need to use any of the 3?
FollowupID: 415368

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:46

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:46
Troll 81
I was told once about carrying my Recovery gear all the time ,If you need it and have not got it ...then thats bad,you carry it for years and don't need it ....that's good........3 sets of keys..???..yeh , well we know what women are like with keys , like men with wallets,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 415401

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:19

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:19
U can have your cable ties IMO. I have lost several spares using this method and i have tried all sorts of safe looking spots. If u are going to use this strategy better off wiring it under the car.
FollowupID: 415552

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:25

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:25
Get a cheap copy of the vehicle key, i.e. not one with an imobiliser chip or a radio device. The el cheapo key will open the doors but not allow the vehicle to be started. Use a light weight dog chain type clip to attache this copy key to a belt loop or similar for your bush or beach wanderings.

Hide the imobiliser key inside your vehicle. Some door pockets have liners that can lift out quite easily and you can attach a permanant little bag or string to clip the imobiliser key onto.
AnswerID: 160579

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:54

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:54
the only problem with this idea is....will one remember where the hidden key is when it comes time to need it?
FollowupID: 415381

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:39

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:39
Troll,

I always leave the keys in the ignition. The only time that I take the keys out is when I am staying at a caravan Park over night.

The other thing that I do with keys is only have the one key. That is leave the house keys and all the other keys that we seem to have in the clove box of the vehicle. The keys don't jingle when driving and the ignition barrel doesn't get worn with the weight of the keys bouncing around.

With a single key I will, if I have to remove it from the vehicle, put it in the fob pocket of my shorts.

I have seen a lot of people pack up the vehicle all ready to go and can't find the keys. They usually have left them in the tent when it was packed away.

Wayne
AnswerID: 160580

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:51

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:51
Me too.

Ignition key stays in ignition. No other keys attached.

If I walk away from the truck and leave it unlocked I slip the key under the floor mat. The GQ cannot be locked accidentally with the keys inside.
FollowupID: 415402

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:01

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:01
Very good idea not to have many keys with your ignition key, the wear inside the lock caused by the weight of a lot of keys is enormous.
Try holding your ignition key edge down on between your forefinger & thumb & bounce them up & down.
It is singularly the biggest cause of failing locks & weraing of keys!

And to answer the post, mine stay in the ignition, unless everybody leaves camp & my vehicle stays, which has never happened.
FollowupID: 415423

Follow Up By: Laura B - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:27

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:27
me too - igniion great spot...the other set in the glove box - i dont have a h/bag!! if we go anywhere the keys go in the swag....
i thought my ford was unable to get locked accidently with a door open with keys inside until 40 degree day and kasey (18 mths then..) managed it! i didnt notice until i shut her door and went to open mine!! - i used to throw them on the driver seat when i opened car door......

thanks to anorexic friend she got arm through the tiny gap and unwound back window!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 415530

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:25

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:25
Losing the keys for a modern cars is real pain - whether you are outback or out shopping - you won't be able to jump start it !.

When I get a new car I always find a place where I can hide a key on the underside of the vehicle - where it will be very hard to find - but accessible in an emergency.

Mike
AnswerID: 160582

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:36

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:36
On just about every car I have ever had I put a spare key in the drivers side front blinker lens.
The advantages are that I am not scared of it falling off from under the vehicle, I haven't had any problems with the key rusting but if you were concerned you could seal it up in silver poly tape or similar.
I have figured that 99% of the time I would be able to borrow a phillips head screwdriver from someone to get it out. In the event I was on my own in a remote area, then I would just smash the blinker lens to get it out.
I have actually used this a couple of times when keys have been locked in the the car in the main street etc...

Cheers,
Brett
AnswerID: 160585

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:00

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:00
I like your idea but... I am still not comfortable with leaving a key under the car or in a lens cover. I guess the question could pop up if a car get stolen and they find the car all smashed and the insurance people find a key strapped to the car they could possibly not pay out thinking that it was planned.

But interesting posts so far. I think a thumb print reader to start the car and open the doors will fix this issue....like the ones on some of the new laptops. That will be so cool when you want to move your car up the beach swipe the thumb and she starts up
FollowupID: 415385

Follow Up By: greydemon - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:59
Troll81 ...what would brickies do? My brother is a bricky and doesn't have fingerprints, they are continually worn off by handling the bricks! They soon grow back though so perhaps he could just drive after the first week of the holiday.
FollowupID: 415446

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:07

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:07
My key as a small carabine on it and when I'm in the camp site. I clip it to the post of the tarp we generally camp under. Thaty way SWMBO and I bot know where the key is at all times in case of emergency etc etc.. then when we go to bed .. it comes to the tent with us... I've been meaning to get a third key cut as mentioned above and then zip tie it under the body some place.
AnswerID: 160588

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:52

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:52
be careful with the zip ties , after a while they become brittle, well the little cheap ones from S/cheap do,a piece of wire with the Cobb & Co twitch is best.Also wrap the end with insul' tape to help stop corrosion

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 415403

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:59

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:59
I have a spare key in a magnetic key holder attached to the chassis. It's not easy to find & doesn't fall off, as I 've been on some pretty rough roads. I've had cause to access the magnetic holder a few times, when I've put my keys in my toolbox, put the toolbox in the truck and then lock/closed the rear door. Sparky
AnswerID: 160593

Reply By: K and S - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:12

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:12
I have a spare key on a leather boot lace, when I'm camping it's the only one I use and it hangs around my neck, nearly impossible to loose and always with you.

It's connected to the boot lace by means of a small quick release clip so the boot lace stays under my shirt when the key is being used and you don't need belt loops or pockets (or any clothing for that matter) for it to work.

I've tied the boot lace using two slip knots so it can be adjusted to hang high or low.

Works for me,

Keith
AnswerID: 160605

Reply By: brian - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:01

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:01
On a gu/gq the removable plastic rear wheel caps make a handy place to put wallet/keys etc while vehicle is stationary....
AnswerID: 160614

Follow Up By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:40

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:40
You still have wheel caps ?

I have broken them all now, broke 2 the first time it went offroad.
Don't bother replacing them now.

Regards,
Mark
FollowupID: 415490

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:23
Yep I searched high and low and found replacements for mine when i first got it and then first trip away i lost 2. Took the other 2 off too lol.
FollowupID: 415553

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:12

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:12
Hi Trol81
I keep the ignition key on a lanyard around my neck when I am not in the truck the rest of the keys in a security box under the drivers seat, my partner also carries a spare key
Ray
AnswerID: 160618

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:36
definitly never leave the ignition
AnswerID: 160658

Reply By: datto311 - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:34

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:34
I was reading the fine print on an insurance policy today and they won't pay up for theft from the vehicle unless there are signs of forced entry. This means leaving a key hidden on the outside of your vehicle will void the policy - damn!!!

Noel
AnswerID: 160685

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:55

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:55
Mostly go for a hidden key inside the car, if worst comes to worst I will smash a window.

On another note, anybody ever find a set of keys to a Patrol on a beach about 50k south of coral bay. Belonged to a mate they fell out of his pocket wile we were de bogging another 4WD.

Funny thing was he didn’t take his second key, But I did right before we left Perth I grabbed them thinking yeah he will drop his keys at some point, I had the spare set in my car but didn’t tell him hehehe. So he was sweating running around in a panic for like 10minutes, wile he was running around like heedless chicken, I casually walked over opened the Patrol up grabbed a cold beer out of the fridge and started it up. He was like how the F**k did you do that!!!, “Oh, I just used your spear key LMAO”.
AnswerID: 160722

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:04
And how did yoou breathe with the beer lodged in your throat? hahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 415565

Reply By: pt_nomad - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:30
On short trips I usually leave a spare set in the vehicle. As an ealier post mentioned, I am also content with breaking a window if need be due to losing a
key whilst away from camp.

When in camp the keys always live in on the center console.

On longer trips we exchange spare keys with others in the group.

I dont think you can affornd not to take a second set with you in these days of imobilised vehicles.
Paul.
AnswerID: 160777

Reply By: pt_nomad - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:37

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:37
Missus lost a key set in town once - bloody expesive and inconvenient exercise.

On short trips I leave a spare set in the vehicle. As an ealier post mentioned, I am also content with breaking a window if need be due to losing a key whilst away from camp.
When away from camp I usually carabena the key to a back pac or belt loop.

When in camp the keys always live in on the center console. On retiring the keys are placed in the tent. The key is the first thing required to make the moring coffee - then it goes back on the dash.

On longer trips we exchange spare keys with others in the group.

The driving set of keys dont have any thing other than the electroinc fob on them to reduce noise and barrell damage. The spare set has all the house keys etc.

I dont think you can afford not to take a second set with you in these days of imobilised vehicles.
Paul.
AnswerID: 160781

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:39

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:39
I've got a set and Mum's got a set.

Hers are in her hand bag and mine are mine are in my pocket.

Duncs
AnswerID: 160782

Reply By: outback epicurean - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:15

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:15
An added complication, where do you put your keys when on a nude beach?

Saw this a few years ago at Broome. Young couple were sunbaking starkers and decided to go for a walk up the beach. First of all each put on a hat?? carefully locked the car, then wandered off. Where to put the keys?

Answer, on the underneatch of the channel that forms the bull bar!

cheers

Me, like other I leave in the ignition as much as possible, except when heading away from camp.
AnswerID: 160797

Follow Up By: Peter from Rockingham 4wd Club Inc. - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 00:30

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 00:30
Troll,

Leave them in your pocket during the daylight once you have parked up and set up camp.
I sleep in a swag so they either left in my pocket or they are down by my feet in the swag during sleep ing time.
Out af mind and out of sight is my motto. Easy to locate after a few beers. lol :)

Pete
96 Toyota Prado
rockingham4wdclub.com

FollowupID: 415573

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:46

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:46
Thanks for all the replied and input. Looks like most people just leave a key in the barrel and one in the car or under. Will most definitely look at doing something like this
AnswerID: 160819

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:22

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:22
When we are at camp, I never leave the keys in the ignition, not for any security fears, it's just that the surf BEEPS CONSTANTLY if the tailgate is down (which it always is) and the keys are in the ignition. So I have a switch that turns the accessory power on, and also changes the power for the stereo over to the aux battery. So I just drop the keys down into the side pocket for easy access. We always have a spare set either in a bag in the tent or in the glove box ( I know the glove box is a strange place, not much help if you lock yourself out!) But we very raley lock the car out bush, it's more for having a spare imobiliser if the other one get's wet or malfunctions. you can always break a window, but removing an imobiliser out bush with the kids screaming is not on my to do list.
AnswerID: 160904

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:51
G'day Troll81,

I can relate to the question having lost (inside the trailer) keys after packing and jumping in the car with the old WTF "where are the keys?" - "I though you had them!" string of discussion and the associated panic etc. Well a spare set are hidden in my fishing rod holder on the car - just hard enough to get to for it to be a problem for most people including us, so there is no chance of us using these unless there is a real emergency. That is a full set including the electronic bit and the spare tyre lock.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 160913

Sponsored Links