Extractors for 80series 1 HZ diesel?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:23
ThreadID: 31759 Views:5249 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm after feedback from anyone with a diesel 1HZ engine 80 series toyota that's replaced their exhaust system with extractors. I've been told that the fuel economy and power is a bit better, but the engine bay gets a bit hotter. The extractors I'm looking at are either "Hurricane" or "Performance" brands. Also would 3inch or 2.5 inch exhaust pipe be better than the standard 2.25 inch. The quote from 3 firms were all cheaper than replacing with a new standard system. thanks Rex

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:28

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:28
Yes extractors will generate more heat but this can be cured by having them high performance coated. I have always had my exhausts high performance coated, you can have them done both inside and out or just the exterior. The heat reduction is amazing, they'll look trick and last forever. I haven't had any experience with extractors on this engine, you would want to find out which brand beathes the best. High Performance coatings can be done here:

http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/
AnswerID: 160652

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:09
Hi Rex,

I fitted Hurricane extractors and a full 2 1/2" system to my old 80 series 1HZ. It made a very noticeable improvement, no loss down low (maybe even a gain) but a noticeable difference up top, I estimate 15%+.

As you know, you don't need a tacho in the 1HZ because the engine has lost all power by the time you get to 4,000ropm. But once extractors were fitted, was amazing how it reved (for a diesel). I actually taped a piece of paper to the sun visor with engine speed vs km/hr for each gear as it reved that much better.

Originally I had a hot dog replacing the small muffler and a sports muffler replacing the huge standard muffler. However, it droned too much for my liking so I had the sports muffler replaced with the standard, made no detectable difference to performance but no more droning, just a nice sound when you reved it!!!

Cheers

Captain

AnswerID: 160664

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:03

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 17:03
I replaced my standard manifold and exhaust with Pacemakers and a 2 1/2" sports system from Genie in Perth. Apparently there are clearance issues with the 3" system hitting on the chassis?? As far as heat under the bonnet goes, I dot know - its a bit hard without a thermometer under there. There was a noticable difference with power, and the engine was willing to rev out more. The fuel economy may have improved a bit, but I probably also use the extra power, cancelling out the economy gain.... I am quite dissappointed with the Pacemaker Headers as they have rusted up very badly in the 2 years that I have had them (rust flakes peeling off), even though I am very particular about cleaning the underside of the car. Dont know if this helps....
Drew
AnswerID: 160677

Reply By: MYTTUF - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:12

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:12
I've got extractors & 2 1/2 inch exhaust on my diesel 80 and since adding them have noticed some differences. The power has increased; I now seem to have another half a gear off road. My economy is about 16 litres per 100km with 285 X 85 X 16 BFG muddies in touring mode. I have also have been asked many times what motor is in the 80 due to the better note. I reckon it is well worth the money.
Jonesy
AnswerID: 160694

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:42

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:42
Extractors may make a bit a difference but if you want a 40% increase in power and torque just leave the standard exhaust system and fit a turbo. The difference is amazing and the 1HZ just loves it. Fuel consumption does not change noticeably but it so much more driveable. You will hear a lot of hot s..t about turboing the 1HZ but it is all just that, uneducated bull dust. The motor is as tough as old boots and just loves the turbo. The thing just keeps pulling at around 1800 - 2000 rpm. Makes such a difference.
AnswerID: 160768

Reply By: sjp - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:14

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:14
i was looking at the same thing for the 105series ,same motor ,quoted $1100 for a 2 1/2 system ,but some people say the money is wasted ,plus what do you do with the old exhaust ,its only 2 yrsold (in my old 80 it lasted 12 yrs)toyota mech said not to turbo it ??(wet blanket)my concern with the turbo is changing the specs of the motor ,as i like reliability ,so now iam looking at diesel gas ,but everything costs and as long as i get the expected results i dont mind ,because i cant try before i buy in these instances
AnswerID: 160844

Sponsored Links