Destinator PN map Datum

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:12
ThreadID: 31775 Views:1874 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, Now can some guru tell me how to set the map datum for Destinator PN? Mines currently reading approx 200m nth of actual and from what I can recall this is the AGD66 to WGS84 offset?

Also same deal for the Globalsat BT338 Bluetooth GPS, how do you set the datum? From what I can fathom the GPS is defaulted to WGS84 but how do I check and change?

Its tot me gossed.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trevor B (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:37

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:37
Hey Bonz, this isn't that new thingey is it ?
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160737

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:19

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 21:19
Yes dagnabbit Burch it IS that new thingy

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 415550

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:06

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:06
This has just got to stop!

I am totally gobsmacked that the Terang Minister for 'anything & everything' is stumped, all out of ideas and bullchit where nothing else suffices.

What went wrong - 'they' suck your brain dry when you were trying to outsmart 'them' eh! 'He' was right all along and your didn't take notice, did you.

I do believe the - 'Its tot me gossed' - is a clue to the true situation.

Yep! definitely an 'encounter of a third kind ' on the Geelong road whilst trying to read & listen to the HP 4700 whilst 'paralelling' with the Garmin, talking on the BT odecologne and 'fathoming' the BT338.

AnswerID: 160792

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:19

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:19
What! have you been eating sardines on toast or what.
FollowupID: 415569

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 23:22
anyway where's ya.....nah forget it
FollowupID: 415570

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:31

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:31
and with that response we are non the wiser.....
FollowupID: 415601

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:15

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:15
And what, pray tell, is wrong with sardines on toast ? Hmmmm ?
FollowupID: 415698

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:26

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:26
hahah Lucy I tell you TOO MUCH, nope it was all above board. However the cockpit is very functional

And comfy

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 415702

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:34

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:34
Gramps, for some it's better then baked beans :)

Bonz, that a kewl cockpit mate
FollowupID: 415705

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:21

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:21
Don't fall for it 'Trend setters' - its a Cock-up not a Cock-pit.

Now to the real business of the hour.

Today I attempted to do what I do best and determine the following:

(a) What datum Dest PN defaults to.

(b) Can it be changed.

Guess what.

(1) No one at destinator knows what the word DATUM means.

(2) No one at their oursourced mapping provider has a clue what Datum it packages with (But they do know what Datum means)

(3) No one at the outsourced cootas sub third party outsourced data/software designer could respond to the second parties telephone query.

Therefore I/we/you are none the wiser at this stage, BUT! tomorrow is another day.

I had the temerity to query how one could 'cut' ,or use another map or portion thereof as stated in the Dest PN literature.

Dead silence, paper rustling - then 'Yeaaaaaaah! , what company did you say you were from again sir'.

'Didn't, just asked if I could select Datums to match the map in use, you do know what I mean , don't you."

'I'll have to ring you back on that one, whats your number again.'

Sad state I know.
FollowupID: 415713

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:36

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:36
Hi Bonz,
I use Destinator just fine with both my in-car GPS or an Etrex, both set to WGS84. I'd be surprised if your bluetooth GPS doesn't use this datum. I don't believe there's a way to change the datum in Destinator.

The Sirf chipset can accept configuration strings; this is how you change things like the transmission speed, change between NMEA and Sirf protocols or enable/disable WAAS. I have downloaded a couple of programs for my pocket PC which have the facility to do this. If you do a search on the web for "sirf" and "gps" and "configuration", you'll find programs that will run on a PC or Pocket PC that will do the job. I doubt that the datum in your GPS can be changed from WGS84; if it can it will be done by sending a configuration string to the unit.

I doubt that you have a datum problem. Where are you? I have been some places around Oz where the Destinator map has been slightly wrong, though only in outback locations, not in cities or towns. In places, like between Broken Hill and Port Augusta, the error is so large that it prevents Destinator from navigating. In most places the map is spot on.

Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 160863

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:08

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:08
Thanx Frank, if theyre both WGS84 I have no problem but almost everywhere on the road I drive from melbourne to Warrnambool the GPS actual location is around 200m north of the road shown in destinator, and its got me tossed. The garmin shows only one of the roads to be in the wrong place, ozi shows it to be very close Dest shows 200m out. I can run it with the garmin and will try that next and see if its closer.

Thanx for the help.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 415697

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:09

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:09
Hi Again,
A while ago, just for the hell of it, I wrote a program for my PocketPC to read the bluetooth port and display the GPS sentences. I noticed at one stage that the positions were looking a bit screwy and it turned out that I could get problems if the NMEA sentences were arriving quicker than I was reading them from the port.

I would just open the bluetooth's com port and loop, posting reads and maybe there was some way I could handle overflows better than my technique of just ignoring them. What I was seeing was that sometimes the messages I received were delayed on a queue and then other more recent messages would be lost. I suppose the queue fills and is read on a fifo basis. There is no flow control. In a moving vehicle this would make the position appear to be behind the real position. (yes, I know your position has a northern error, but I'll ignore that like with the lost sentences)

Maybe you could try decreasiing the frequency of messages, or making sure there's nothing slowing down your PocketPC. Do you have anything else running in the device? Is it an older model with a slow cpu? I note that your GPS has the latest SiRF III chipset; what's the default update frequency? Maybe these new units put out faster updates and you are seeing delayed positions.

Just a thought.
Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 161061

Follow Up By: Frank_Troopy - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:34

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:34
I just looked up the Sirf III specs and the maximum update rate is 10 Hz. Both of mine update every 1.5 seconds (0.6 Hz). I am sure that 10 Hz updates would flood my iPaq.
FollowupID: 415782

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:52

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:52
Hi Frank I have the Ipaq HX4700 its got a 624 mHz processor and it talks well with the gps as I can see using the GPSInfo program that came with the GPS. I have loaded only Destinator and it doesnt seem to be a speed related issue to me more that the maps are about 200m out. It is screwy.

It has a northern error even when travelling west, so if it was speed related it would show up mor when travelling nth or sth.

Thanx for your reply, you sound like you know stuff, I like that.

Regards

GWBonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416070

Sponsored Links