OT Can you win and finish second?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:10
ThreadID: 31818 Views:1641 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
With the C/W games in progress I get amused by the various comentators who talk about our fine athletes who have "won" a silver or bronze medal.

These representatives of ours (who will achieve far more than a fat, old, lardarse like me could ever even hope for) are doing wonderful things and I envy, and admire, them.

However, how do you "win" silver? Winners finish first. The second placegetter is a runner-up. I don't here our esteemed media colleagues congratulating our representatives for "winning" fifth palce in a final.

Did the West Coast Eagles "win" the Runners Up Cup last year? No, they lost the Grand Final.

I reckon it's media hype. I didn't here anyone lauding Mark Latham for "winning" second place at the last federal election LOL.

To "win" you beat all of your competitors. Second is second, no disgrace, but it is not a win.

I feel it is just media hype (and according advertising income) gone mad.

Still, I'm just an observer, but with a reasonable understanding of our language.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:20

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:20
Jimbo,

I think that if they come first or last and any were in between they have won.
They have won in the knowledge that they have tried there best and no one can ask more than that.

Wayne
AnswerID: 161031

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:03

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:03
Wayne, my sentiments exactly.
FollowupID: 415777

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:35

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:35
It's unfortunately all a matter of money. The media circus promotes athletes as "heroes". Good grief, we have real heroes in everyday life and most will never get their 5mts of fame. What about the single parent struggling to work 2 jobs to keep food on the table ? I'd call them heroes. Pensioners who go hungry so that they can donate to charity. Heroes, all of em.
Now I'm not saying that being a great sportsperson isn't a wonderful thing. But it isn't the only game in town.
Those sports commentators certainly have a lot to answer for.
PS. Take the top off a BIC pen and whisper across the top of it....instant hero :))

AnswerID: 161038

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:40

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:40
So true.

Fred Hollows was a hero.

Russel Crowe is a disgrace.

Lleyton Hewitt needs a lesson in manners.

Who is more famous?

Most numbnuts would be saying "who was Fred Hollows?"

Sad.
FollowupID: 415756

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:55

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:55
To make matters worse we teach little boys not to thump and rumble and bully others in primary school. Fair enough. Then we show em that if they can RUULY damage another human and call it sport, we'll pay em up to a million a year. No wonder kids get confused !

Yes we train them to win...and when they don't they become depressed. They buy the lie, that winning is everything. It isn't. It just doesn't make money for all the hangers on.

I have to say that I've counted some well known people amongst my friends...no TV or pop stars but a couple of athletes. They aren't heroes to me until they use their influence for the good of mankind in some way...

We Ozzies love our sport...and thats wonderful.

But I had to listen to some sports commentators for 3 days and nights (Regional ABC) last year and now look at me !!
FollowupID: 415757

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:44

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:44
Jimbo

It must be time for a Skybuie. Don't go upsetting the natives again.

I have to agree with you. The media in this country have a lot to answer to.

You are right about Fred Hollows. I reckon 80% of Australians would have no idea who he was and what he did for the world, not only Australia.

Liked your solution to the Coleman Hot Water System. Not far till the V8's in Bathurst. Looking forward to your visit. I had better get the homebrew supplies up to scratch.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 415772

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:51

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:51
Hey Jimbo, I know who Fred Hollows was - he was a Kiwi :-))

You can keep Russell Crowe though :-))

I do however agree with your sentiments about the priorities of the media in making out who should be lauded over and paid millions. I will donate to people like ambos and fire volunteers as much as I can and stuff the over paid , overhyped media primadonas.
FollowupID: 415792

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:01

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:01
hey jimbo
i know who fred was i even know and have been to his grave site at bourke cemetary and have photos of both the graveiste and memorial garden beside it

steve
ps i cant find what catostrophe occured at a Bourke town picnic in the late 1800's when several children died on the same day maybe a reader knows
FollowupID: 415904

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:29

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:29
Yes sports people are put on a pedestal for some reason.
It always amuses me when you get a sports person or a singer as Australian of the year.
These days the Australian of the year I feel is a bit better thought out a person who has spent many many years trying to find a cure or working for less fortunate.
Funny as I write this I couldn't tell you who the last 3 where but could tell you the sports and singers who got one.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 161067

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:35

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:35
Jimbo ,

Winning second place is like "not leading fom the front ".

The part I hate about the games is listening to the post event interviews .
I just want to thank the crowd they were wonderful
I did it for Australia
I am just taking it one race at a time
I just want to focus on the next race
Blah blah (2nd ) ran a fanrastic race
AnswerID: 161072

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:52

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:52
Coming second is becoming the 1st loser. In all my years of competing i was only there to win... Second place may as well be last...
AnswerID: 161074

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:15

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:15
Geez, and I felt proud when I "won" a competitors ribbon years ago, just for having a go....

I think perhaps we should forget about semantics and just be proud of people for having a go.....and stop being knockers...

Last night we went to the Rugby 7s, going again tonight for the finals, and it was one of the best nights entertainment I've had in ages, the crowd was going off for all teams, and I think the biggest cheer was for the Ugandan team who beat Tonga, [they got hammered earlier by South Africa] when they won, you'd think they'd won the world cup, whooping and punching the air, and running over to people in the crowd, just to get through to the next round...they won't win in the end, but they've had a go, been there, and had some fun. Now if only the Sri Lankans could have scored a try last night the roof would have been raised.

Can't wait for tonight, it's going to be a hoot.

Lyn
AnswerID: 161076

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:51

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:51
Second place is the first looser.
:)
AnswerID: 161099

Reply By: Wombat - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:08

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:08
"I don't here (sic) our esteemed media colleagues . . . "

"Still, I'm just an observer, but with a reasonable understanding of our language."

Sorry Jimbo, couldn't resist. Hmmmm! I think it's called being pedantic.
AnswerID: 161179

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:29

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:29
Ooh that was a clanger.

What can I say, I'd had a few.

But Paul, I must remind you that sic refers to "said in conversation", that is a verbal grammatical blunder as it is not possible to decipher an orated spelling mistake.

One all LOL.
FollowupID: 415929

Follow Up By: Wombat - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:52

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:52
Wrong again Jimbo! I should have had a few by now, too.

Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus" or "so", used inside brackets — (sic) or [sic] — to indicate that an unusual (or incorrect) spelling, phrase, or other preceding quoted material is intended to be read or printed exactly as shown and is not a transcription error.

Two, love, sweetie.
FollowupID: 415945

Follow Up By: Wombat - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:58

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:58
. . . but . . . even though you've finished second in this little tête-à-tête, you're still a winner in my eyes.
FollowupID: 415950

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:27

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:27
Phuc (that is Latin for "oh my gosh") LOL.

I concede defeat.

You damn near transcribed that word for word from the "Collins".

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 415979

Sponsored Links