winches.....

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:31
ThreadID: 31822 Views:2727 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Well the trusty womans brain is on the think again and being tired doesnt help!

The bank account will not allow us to get one of those bullbar winches and so the other option is hand powered which is fine.....

But it got me thinking - can you get winches that arent hooked up to the bullbar that go off the battery?? I know its a really silly Q but could it be possible??

If it somehow was done manually as well as help from the batt.....????

If this tired off thinking of mine has got you shaking your heads ( which i will laugh with!!) at me then is a Big Haul Hand Winch the way to go?? I did ask this Q a couple off months ago but I cannt find the thread....

Laura B

ps...still no luck with the phone issue.....still looking but i need time to scratch myself to figure out what I'll do next!!LOL!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:47

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:47
I have a port-a-winch , which is an electric winch in a cradle, with leads like jumper leads that attach to the battery .

We bought this when we went around oz alone, and after doing a 4wd course and seeing a hand winch recovery , a guy at work said he had done many recoveries up the Cape in one day and I dont think I would have it in me with a hand winch.

Can winch the vehicle in any direction

Luckily have never used it in anger !

these were advertised in many 4wd mags

hope this is what you are after

Glenn.
AnswerID: 161059

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:09

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:09
thanks....so there is something like what i was thinking!!LOL!! will look it up...cheers..

Laura B
FollowupID: 415803

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:02

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:02
Brawn, sellers of the porta winch apparently went under. You may not be able to buy one now.

Leroy
FollowupID: 415809

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:31

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:31
had a look on their web site - that still exists....never heard of them before!!

L
FollowupID: 415821

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:01

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:01
Big Haul is a good hand winch at far less than electric winches. However, they take some getting used to (practise) and you'd have to be a lady of...err...considerable physical resources...assuming that it's not the token male's job :)) And if it is he'd better be pretty fit.
AnswerID: 161060

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:51

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:51
The Porta-Winch will cost you just about as much as a bull bar mounted job, after all it's a normal electric winch mounted in a portable cradle, so if you can't stretch to a normal setup then I don't see the Porta-Winch being an option.

If you can afford the winch then I'm sure you could pick up a second hand bull bar for very few dollars, allthough then you don't have the other advantages of the portable job.

Better off getting something like the Mud Mauler. It's much lighter to carry, much smaller and hence takes up less room, uses chain rather than steel rope (much easier to handle, can also be used as a drag chain), can pull about twice as much as a big haul, and is cheaper.
AnswerID: 161086

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:33

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:33
yeah saw the price on the web site - might as well get a bullbar winch for that much!

Will look into the mud mauler......

L
FollowupID: 415822

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:37

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:37
Another option might be buy a winch off ebay. There's currently a 12000Lb one going for $400, 3 hours to go.

Couple that with a second hand bull bar.......
FollowupID: 415826

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:40

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:40
thats what we thought we might do....found a big haul one on there pretty cheap...will check this one out!

Thanks...L'B
FollowupID: 415829

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:44

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:44
just found a winch bullbar on ebay in Toowoomba though (im nowra nsw) for $100......off an 80 too!!!

mmmmm....

credit card maxed.....
mmmmm....

L'B
FollowupID: 415831

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:46

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:46
John:

I've been ummm and arring about the Mud Mauler for ages - have you actually used one in anger and why do you think they are better than a $70 cheapo 2 ton hand winch - given the length of their operating arm where is the mechanical advantage or are they further geared down?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 415833

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:36

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:36
Mike, never had the misfortune. I've used Turfors more times than I care to remember though.

The biggest problem I found with the Turfor style is carting around, and man handling, that bloody wire rope. A chain just HAS to be better.

Also the space it takes up. Remember the adage, "never take a piece of equipment unless it has two uses"? The chain doubles as a drag chain for general purpose use. I've never come across a second use for a wire winch rope :-P

You also get 4.5 tonne pulling power versus 2.5 or so for the turfor type.

Couple that with a (generally) cheaper purchase price, just makes more sense to me.

FollowupID: 415876

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:06

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:06
G'day Laura,

As already mentioned the hand winch option is hard work BUT you'd be asking the question "how often do you think we'll be using one of these?". Not often I hope, so whilst the electric winch sounds great and we all would like one of those, if you are looking at a just in case situation then one of the handwinches should do.

I have one and it has been used once in 1994. It always comes with me on a trip but I have found that there is usually someone around when I get into trouble (doesn't happpen often) to lend a hand by way of a strap. A mate has an electric winch and it has never been used and I doubt it will actually work when the time comes. They can be more trouble then they are worth unless you use them all the time and keep them well maintained.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 161090

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:52

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:52
Hi Laura

Don't go spending mega dollars on any kind of winch. Those handwinches are bulky and cost more dollars than they are worth. And when are you going to use one?

Carry two good bottle jacks(you truck has one and buy another from the wreckers) and/or a small trolley jack(about $50). Buy a good long handled shovel and a snatch strap ( so that if someone comes along they can help you out ).

I have had a number of winches over the years and when living in Northern Australia they were used in anger a number of times during each of the wet seasons. My current electric winch is 3 years old and has been used 3 times....to winch others out of trouble!

Cheers
AnswerID: 161100

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:26

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:26
good idea.....bottle jacks are those ones that you use to change a tyre hey??!!LOL!! Cannt half tell Im not heaps technical - just know how to do things and what to use - but their names!! - no idea!

Got the snatch straps - pulled many trees out of the way with it - its nathans climbing rope - better than the ones from 4b shops!!

Climbing gear is great if you have been into climbing!

dont want to spend heaps cos we dont plan on using it...just something that will do the job just in case.

Thanks mate,
Laura b

ps - have you ever dealt with 4wd systems s.a ????
FollowupID: 415841

Sponsored Links