Coleman Tent Warranty.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:52
ThreadID: 31837 Views:5524 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We bought a Coleman tent in 2004 and we have used it on 2 camping trips. It came with a 5 year warranty. One of the zips on the fly is faulty. To cut a long story short, Colemans instructed us to take the fly to our nearest retailer, which is not where we purchased it (we have moved). We did that early Feb. Now we are told after 4 1/2 weeks that they will not fix it and that we will have to wait another 5 weeks at best, for a replacement fly. We have made many phone calls to both Coleman's and the retailer as well as sending emails over the past 5+ weeks and still getting the run around. Just want to know if anyone else has struck difficulties with Coleman as we have a lot of their stuff and this is the first time we have ever made a claim on the warranty of anything we have bought.
Needless to say we are heading away next week and have to do it with the faulty tent fly. Come in Mozzies..............
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:59

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:59
I've always found Coleman's after-sales service here in Oz to be exemplary - as it is in the USA. 4 1/2 weeks just to have a look sounds a bit wrong though... did the retailer stuff up in not getting it to Coleman or was it Coleman themselves?
AnswerID: 161135

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:03

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:03
We had same issue with a Coleman Tent bought at Kangaroo Tent city in bleep ney.

Ended up it came with the wrong fly (IT WAS NEW!) yet it wasnt Colemans or Kangaroos issue, but they would sell us another.

Get a Southern cross and never look back.
AnswerID: 161137

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:22

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:22
Agree! buy a decent tent ( We own a freedom as well as a Southern Cross camper) and they will last if you look after them
FollowupID: 415872

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:27

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:27
Logic like that would see EVERYone driving around in BMW's or Mercedes. There is a little thing known as "price point" - i.e. a point at which something is too expensive to be practical given the amount of use it may get.

Coleman definitely isn't the best around - nowhere near it. What it does is provide many, many people with a means of getting into the great outdoors to see if they like it before they spend their entire fortune on it.
FollowupID: 415874

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:43

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:43
I totally agree with you. It was a long time ( and a few tents) before we managed to save enough to buy what we have. Geez I'd hate to see what you would write if I owned an Ultimate.

Apologies if you misunderstood
FollowupID: 415879

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:54

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 13:54
MMmmmmm..... Ultimate........ (drool....grrrr grrrr... Homer Simpson look....)
FollowupID: 415883

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 14:18
I had a problem with a Coleman Flouro lamp. Had to be a bit assertive and plead my case but they came good and replaced what I figured was the defective part even tho strictly it was against their policy.
Camper
AnswerID: 161148

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:37

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:37
I dont know about SA but in NSW, if the item is faulty or does not do what it is intended to do, you have a choice, money back from the retailer or exchange for another unit.. Buggar their policy, it has nothing to do with them.. They have no say in it.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 415912

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:37

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:37
Hi Michael & Happy Camper,

Yes - the Trade Practices Act and related consumer protection legislation is pretty uniform across Australia - some states provide more or less government agency assistance and proactive support.

But elapsed time can be an issue, as can proving something is not fit for purpose.

In the original post's issue, it comes down to what their 5 year warranty included (assuming you were shown some details). If you were and it had no exclusions on zips, the 5 year warranty is not doing what a reasonable person would have interpreted that it should do and so you have a reasonable product fault case. If you were provided with the details, and it had an exclusion on the zips you're hozed.

In the case of the Flouro, if it was wear related and you had purchased it some time ago you are probably at the mercy of the manufacturer.

Sometimes the effort in proving fit for purpose is difficult and you're better off just getting it fixed.

A new zip should be a $30 or $40 zip if you know where to go so I wouldn't be too fussed, and the material for the mozzie cover should be pretty easy to source too if need be.

The advice I got on a recent problem I had: "Heavy Duty xxx psi compressor" (made in China and rebadged by a local 4WD store chain) where the rubber feet that it sits on and which connect it to it's base just vibrated to bits in the back of my 4WD - ie. nothing heavy duty about it, was that as they were unwilling to replace it (it was 4 mo old) I could try taking them to court, but they might be asked to stump up $20 to fix it maybe, and I might still have the cost of serving a summons et al. In the end I spent $7 on some nuts and bolts and $5 on a piece of 5mm rubber, and now it is the best engineered Chinese compressor in Australia ;-)

That said, Coleman (through Snowy's) replaced a whole 2-man tent I had after it was blown inside out (and the fittings torn off). This was 2 years old and I didn't have the receipt. Of course they mumbled a lot about the winds that it was designed - or not designed - to handle - hey! how was I to know?

Ciao for now.
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415964

Follow Up By: Greiglin - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 22:41

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 22:41
Thanks all for the imput. Heard back from Coleman late this arvo, after putting the foot down. Seems now we will have a new fly delivered to our home withing the next 14days. (We will be counting) Yes the zip is covered under the warranty. Apparently they should be self correcting zips. Ours is stuck period in the one spot about half way down the track.
Well at least we got a phone call back in the same week this time!!! Will wonders never cease? Looks like a better tent is on the agenda in the future.
FollowupID: 416010

Reply By: chips59 - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:22

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:22
I also have dealt with snowys and have had several problems with items bought from there, have just walked in and either had them replaced or refund with no problems at all. I pound the extremely helpful and i even rang them up while out camping once because had trouble with duel fuel stove and they talked me through the whole thing.
AnswerID: 161262

Sponsored Links