packing fragile gear

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 02:25
ThreadID: 31859 Views:1767 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning!
Now that I've accumulated more camping gear, I'm wondering how about the different methods used for packing things like gas lanterns, fleuros, even things that may seem more solid but may get bent if jolted around between other gear. If you wrap everything in towels you end up taking half your linen closet with you. I try to keep things in the box they come in but they don't last long. I had the idea to coat the boxes they come in with gaffer tape for endurance? What are your thoughts/tips/general banter/sarcastic remarks/soapbox stances?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 04:00

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 04:00
I use a few plastic storage boxes, the ones you get from the el cheapo discount stores for all my camping gear. There are the large ones for stoves, lights and ropes and the smaller ones for food, and cooking utentials.

I have moved away from gas lights/bottles and now only use 12 volt as it offers better coverage, safer conditions and you don't have to lug heavy bottles around. Even the stove is one of those newer units that has a small gas can inside it which all reduces the space required. There is only the two of us when we go camping so the gear that we take is quite compact to start with.

With the storage boxes all the gear fits neatly in the rear of the Patrol with no real movement at all.

Cheers, Patrick

AnswerID: 161274

Reply By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:43

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:43
All of my stuff goes in drawers, except tents and chairs.
Boxes last for ages in there. When they look like they will die, I use tape.
AnswerID: 161277

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:16

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:16
If you are still using lanterns with mantles, make sure you pack them vertically - especially if they only tie at the top - a whole lot better chance of them surviving..

I only take my gas lantern now on a standing camp - if I'm moving more often than not, I'll just stick with 12v - saves a stack on mantles ;-)

Fluro, if a decent brand, can be shoved almost anywhere

The trick I think, is not to have to wrap everything (too much extra stuff as you say, AND too much mucking about ;-), but to pack things firmly so as to minimise movement, or use other items in between..

ie, I have a set of drawers the same height as my fridge, which leaves a narrow space to either side of the drawers. I put our five sleeping bags in here vertically - but I can put two bottles of wine/bundy/etc between each bag without it touching anything else that will cause an issue.

One thing we do have is a tupperware container (big square one) for bread - I HATE squashed bread ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161289

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:06

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:06
with you on the mantles Ivan.

I use one each trip basically - they get so brittle.

And I'll be damned if I could find a stockist from Alice to Darwin!

The hardware stores don't have them, and the only place - Rod and Gun I think in Katherine was clozed on Sundays.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 416125

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:19

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:19
Not really too sure, on the fragility of most camping gear, as it's pretty hardy stuff.

Obviously common sense prevails whereby lanterns and stuff is concerned, but the rest of it, just gets shoe horned into place, well, sort of...

I guess, If you are like me, you will buy the latest widget, and treat it with kid gloves, for a bout two trips, then, all bets are off.

I use a series of heavy duty green cotton-canvas bags, and ALL, of my gear lives in those. The bags conform to any shape, and the rattles are non existent.

Again, most stuff nowadays is pretty bullet proof, and simple rubbing against each-other shouldn't be an issue.

Before closing, there is ONE thing I am always mindful of, and that is the secretion (not oozing, but hiding) of tent pegs in the tent bag. these buggers will put a hole on your tent real quick. Make sure that the little peg bag, is stowed deep inside the rolled tent, so as not to allow outside abrasions, and pokings-stabbings to occur.

Wolfie

AnswerID: 161291

Reply By: JJ - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:09

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:09
Gas light: ours is always stored upright in a large tin (milk powder/catering size fruit/Milo), lined to firm fit with 1/4" foam rubber sheeting (bubble wrap these days?) with extra on the bottom. Only ever busted mantles due to other factors!
Fluro's: if neccessary bubble wrap for firm fit and push into postpak tube of right length.
Tent pegs: use a disused side opening tool bag (like what comes with vehicle) or make one to size.

AnswerID: 161298

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:13

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:13
I have replaced more gas light glasses than I care to admit. The solution was staring me in the face. Store them in the cardboard box that they come in, pack vertically with as little movement as possible. Havent replaced one since, so either it works or they are making stronger ones these days.
AnswerID: 161310

Reply By: Michael O'Reilly - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:18

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:18
We carry our gas light in an empty tin of baby formula and pack it in bubble wrap.

Haven't broken the glass yet...

The only fragile thing in the back of the Patrol is aluminium beer cans! Amazed how quick they wear through. Must empty them faster next time!
AnswerID: 161329

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:25
Reminds me of the six pack Bundaberg Ginger Beer that wifey kindly put in the bottom of the Green Coles Bag of goodies slung in the passenger footwell when I left Adelaide on my own one time.

10 or so hours later out the back of Cobar after 1 hour on the Ivanhoe goat trak (I resent calling it a road as it is worse than the worst road in Australia) and half an hour of off-roading, I open the door, picked up the bag and put it on the ground.

The explosion made me wonder if I was the subject of a terrorist attack!

Note to self: do without Bundaberg Ginger Beer.
FollowupID: 416130

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:29

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:29
Cheers all for the replies. Some good tips to follow up on with all my 'spare time' LOL.
AnswerID: 161330

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 13:03

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 13:03
Gas light travels well in a small cheap zip up soft cooler bag.
AnswerID: 161332

Sponsored Links