Doing it on the cheap!

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:06
ThreadID: 31888 Views:2691 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks!
Thought this was worth a mention. Was at the Gallery in Kyneton (where I am the resident artist..for now, anyway!), when a couple walked in to look around. I noticed they had pulled up in a old 4x4 ( not sure what model) pulling an even older looking model Millard poptop caravan (around 14 ft). Being interested, I inquired where they were from, and whether they were holidaying. Well, they were from Newcastle, NSW apparently, and were visiting grand children in Melbourne. Conversation rolled on about caravanning in general, and I inquired about thier poptop, and how it performed. Well, I was astounded! Apparently he (husband) had bought the old van for $3,000 secondhand ( it was around 1992 model), just to do up for the odd trip to the beach. Well, all he did was put new tyres on it, and re-packed the wheel bearings, and began short trips in it (weekends). They loved it so much, that they decided to extend thier travelling further afield. So they headed off to Queensland for an extended holiday. Well, that was it!...He said that since that initial trip, they had travelled on the 'big one"around Australia, pulling the same poptop van, and apart from normal maintenance (whatever that was), had no problems with it at all. He said they travelled light, with just the bare essentials, but lived comfortably. He said that his vehicle was also bought secondhand for around $8,000 prior to the 'Big One'.
They were planning to continue on the road, back up north for the winter!
Just goes to show, you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the experience! perhaps they should let Millard know(If they still exist?) Would be great publicity for them! Nice folks..hope they have a ball!
Regards
Bronco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 05:10

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 05:10
Yeah, good on 'em. I'm of the opinion that unless you're travelling remote you don't really need all the gear that we think we need. The marketing is working and the manufacturers are making a fortune. My in-laws 'upgrade' their camp chairs every 6 months, for cryin' out loud!
AnswerID: 161445

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 06:11

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 06:11
Just stop it ,all this rot about people travelling around not working making meeeeeeeee bleedin enviuos .Lol, cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 161446

Reply By: Member - uncle - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 07:40

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 07:40
Yes we've just recently sold our 1978 model Millard Safari,which was a great van.The guy we purchased it from had dragged it to Cooktown and some remote places in Qld also.
we made a few small mods to it to suit our needs,the old guy had strenghtened all the chassis,it had twin water tanks etc,twin 9kg gas bottles and just suited us fine.We were really sad to see it go,however,it wouldnt get us to some of the out of the way destinations we are wanting to go to later which is why we went for a 4x4 CT.No doubt later on down the track we may invest in another caravan who knows.happy camping.
AnswerID: 161449

Reply By: dieselup - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:19

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:19
Cant beat the old Millards,we've got a 1977 Millard Mini-6'6' wide X 16' long
It's an old style pop top where only the centre fiberglass section of the top pops up,we paid $3800 for it including the annex about five years ago and we've really had our moneys worth out of it and it's never let us down
Millard caravans are still made near Campbelltown in NSW but it's not the same company that made the older ones
Great to see people getting use out of the older gear!
AnswerID: 161451

Reply By: Greiglin - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:37

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:37
What a great story. We toyed with the idea back in 2004 of investing $12000 on a camper-trailer to do a 3-4 month trip from Melb - Kimberley, GGR, Arnhem Land and then across to Qld and down the Birdsville tk. Ended up we bought a tent for $300, a great self inflating mattress QS and two great chairs. We took just the bare essentials, with an esky that kept things pretty good for up to 5days. We were very comfortable, could get into places without a problem, and believe it or not in the whole time we were away (14 weeks) we only purchased 3 bags if ice. rest of the time we were able to freeze water in bottles and the goods in butchers and or very friendly shop owners freezers before we took off on to next destination. The most important thing to consider is the bed you sleep on and the chairs you sit on. We invested in a $30 b & w TV to have a treat in entertaiment every now and then. Just goes to prove the money you save can be spent on better things like flights and cruises out to the Horizontal falls, Chopper flights over Mitchell falls etc. If you are in the area you may as well see it!!!!

AnswerID: 161455

Sponsored Links