Choosing a boat for the Camper Trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 15:02
ThreadID: 31900 Views:13063 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Currently choosing a boat for my CT and am down to a choice between two. They are:
Quintrex 350 Traveller Length 3.58m Depth 0.6m Max HP 15 Boat weight 76kg with one piece external solid T keel. Price $1550

Makocraft (Stessl) Topper Tracker Length 3.45m Depth 0.6m Max HP 15 Boat weight 62kg with internal keel. Price $2070

I know that weight is a key factor lifting on and off the CT and I intend using removable chine wheels or bolt on transom wheels to get to and from the water....so which one would you guys go for? Would especially appreciate advice from those who have/are carrying a tinny on their CT. Oh, one other thing, when I'm not on the road I intend running the tinning off a normal boat trailer.

Thanks
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MartyB - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 15:47

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 15:47
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but have you looked at a poly boat. I don't have one but have heard some pretty good reports about them.
Poly Industries in Bundaberg makes them http://www.polycraft.com.au/about.php.

from Marty.
AnswerID: 161514

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:13

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:13
Marty ,
I have fished in the centre console Poly boat and it performed well , but the little 3m tender weighs 75 KG and does not strike me as a boat that would be dry in a wind chop and the sides look too low for croc country .
Willie .
FollowupID: 416246

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:27

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:27
Thanks Marty - I'll have a look but after visiting almost every dealer in the Canberra/South Coast NSW area (I live in Queanbeyan NSW) I've more or less settled on either a Quintrex or Stessl - just which boat is now the problem.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 416249

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:04

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:04
Pete ,

I have a Quintrex 3.75 DART on my Trak Shak and talking to a few other members who fish up North amongst the crocs and wind , there is a concensus that with its high sides and deep V for windchop it is amongst the best .

They are on the heavy side , but I think you will find it worth the trouble once you have to bash your way home for half an hour after the wind has suddenly strengthened .

I also put those AIR_O_FLOAT sausage floats on the sides to give increased stability when we are standing up casting in croc country . I run a 15 HP Merc on it .

I have also made removeable floor mats ( made out of those blue lock together EVA camping mats ) that fit between the ribs and are removed when out of the water as are the rod holders , battery , depth sounder , safety gear , anchor , cutting board , esky and oars . Absolutely everything must be removeable to make it possible to get this on the CT without too much effort .

My wife and I can do it . We rest the bow up on the rear roof rack bar and then both get on the stern and lift and push .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 161516

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:28

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:28
Thanks Willie - I'll have a look at the DART.
FollowupID: 416250

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:54

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:54
Willie - just had a look at the DART and from the pics its seems to have a convex (ie curved skyward) bow deck (?) - does this present as a problem getting it on and off the racks on the trailer. My Kanga CT has a gus strutted boat rack - no rollers - and the boat simply lifts out of the way when I want to set the CT up. So the only time I need to take the boat off when on the road is when I want to go fishing.......which will be frequently.

Cheeers
Pete
FollowupID: 416253

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:25

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:25
P22, a local Quintrex dealer (Gold Coast, where they are made) has told me they can be made with the flat bow deck. You may have to order it and wait though. On most CT set ups it should not be a problem. This part of the boat will be well forward over the draw bar. Guess it depends on the hight and placement of storage boxes etc.

I'll also be getting the gas struts fitted. I've experimented a bit with them and reckon once you go over 80KG to 90KG total weight on the rack, they get a bit heavy to lift alone. Up to 100 is possibly manageable, but over that it would be a 2 person lift for sure. I'm on the wrong side of 50, so if you are younger, it may be easier.

From my experience, unloading is the issue. Getting that initial lift over the first couple of feet. Loading doesn't seem to be such as issue as the struts are fully compressed and give reasonable assistance.

I plan on carrying the wheels for the fold up trailer mounted on the racks under the boat. That adds about 15KG, so I certainly don't want to go over 80KG (preferably 70KG) on the boat.
FollowupID: 416258

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:34

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:34
Yeah thanks again Norm - like you I've been looking over my shoulder at the last 50 years for a while now and the lighter I can keep this thing the better.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 416260

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:11

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:11
Pete ,

The foredeck is annoying because you have to tilt up the bow to get over each roof bar as you push it forward or back .

I have gas struts , but never load my boat from the side when it is tipped over . I find it is much easier to take it off the rack when it is in the tyravel position .

I only use the gas strut tip over thingie when I am setting up the tent .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 416266

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:57
Patrol22, I've been going through a similar process.
Of the Quintrex range, I prefer the Darts. A bit heavier, but also a lot deeper, which I like. The 355 Dart weighs 82KG and will take a 15HP. The 375 weighs 86KG and will take a 20HP (which of course is heavier than the 15 HP).

Check the Stessel. I think it may be made from 1.2mm ali (the sides at least). The others are 1.6mm throughout. Not sure on this, but check.

Some of the Sea Jay range is well worth a look. The Nomad 3.5 weight 68KG, will take a 15HP and is 680mm deep. The Nomad 3.7 weighs 85KG, will take a 20HP and is 730mm deep. These boats are fully welded (ie seats are welded, not riveted in) which is the case with most otheres, including the Quintrex.

The Sea Jay Rebel (which is riveted, like most others in the range) is also worth a look. The Rebel 3.5 weighs 63KG, is 760 deep, but will only take a 10HP. The Rebel 3.7 weighs 76KG, is 870mm deep and will take a 15HP.

I've got the beam width for all these as well if you want.

I'll probably go either the Quintrex Dart 355 or the Sea Jay Nomad 3.5.

I've also got the weights for a lot of the 15HP motors if you need them. They range from 35KG to 41KG.

Interested in which way you go.

I've also got a git of info I've researched on fold up boats if you are looking at them as well.

AnswerID: 161521

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:12

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:12
Thanks Norm - I will have a look at the Sea Jay range (hadn't heard of them previously). I already have a near new 9.9 Mariner SS motor (got about 30 hours on it) and was planning to use that......but sticking with this is not the overriding factor - safety, weight (<80kg preferred) and beam (max 1.5m) will win out in the end. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 416256

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:36

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:36
Beams:
Sea Jay Rebel 3.7 1.59
Sea Jay Rebel 3.5 1.48

Quintrex Dart 355 1.49
Quintrex Dart 375 1.58

That rules the two 3.7s out. If you want to stick with your 9.9HP, the Rebel 3.5 might be the go. Weight 63KG, depth 760mm, beam 1.48m. Max HP 10. The weight will not only help with loading, but with planing with the smaller motor.

Sea Jay are made at Bundaberg in QLD. They have a pretty big range and are popular up here. They have a pretty good dealer network, but possibly not in your area. A pretty good web site.

Not trying to push you. Just sharing my experience going through the same process. I'll be interested which way you go and your experience. I probably won't be buying until Oct now after we get back from next big trip. Can't get the boat loader done in time to take a boat with us this time.
FollowupID: 416261

Follow Up By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:32

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:32
Hi P22, I have a'' Stacer'' 3.75, I think they a quite old? mine weighs ABOUT 80-90 kg. a merc. 9.9 drives it very well. It has mid. mounted wheels [about mini size] & a light draw bar, so a ''few'' ks on a decent gravel road is no prob.
I carry it on a soft top c/t ,on a rack I designed,i'm approaching 60, & it usually takes me about 2 min .to be able to start getting the tent up. I looked at the gas assist ones but they looked to 'ungainly' & prone to failure . & to rich for me!!
I,ve just loaded mine all up, & its off to the weighbridge in the morn. to see how many kg. over it all is . Then we are OFF........ cya .
Phil.
FollowupID: 416269

Reply By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:58

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 16:58
mate i ahve a bermuda vee nose punt 3.75 m very stable but a bit wet at times which i carry on the KK mariner swing over boat rack and a 15 hp merc and then i went and bougt a real eszy folding trailer after the first trip away to NQ without a trailer and with just clamp on wheels
if you are in croc country about 3.75 m is as small as i personnaly would go
also i believe you need a trailer cause i found the camping areas are rarely within walking distance to launch a boat
at the end of the day though you have to buy what suits you and what you think you need - and depends where you want to go
i must say the new quinnie 3.75 m vee nose traveller with the spray rails looks pretty good to me
hope this helps in a small way
see you greg
AnswerID: 161522

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:15

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 17:15
Thanks Greg - not much difference stats-wise between the 3.75 and 3.50 Quintrex Travellers - seems the only difference, apart from the length of course, is the weight which is still <80kg so in my ballpark.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 416257

Reply By: Member - Alan (WA) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:20

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:20
I have a 3.75 Stessl Edge Tracker Lite - carry it on top of off-road CT. Use 18hp Tohatsu 2-stroke - also seems hardy for carrying in CT.

I guess this is equivalent to old 12ft tinny reference.

I also have a Little Bulldog collapsible trailer for using when camping - but also as a normal road-registered trailer for when around home. Only issue with this at the moment - is best way of carrying the trailer when towing CT - am looking at Kaymar wheel carrier adaptation at moment via ARB.

I wanted something that was licensed to carry 4 people - being me, my wife and 2 kids. I weigh 115kg - but offset by kids being less than average (in adult height terms!). Some did not carry license of 4 - which I was not comfortable with.

I have been very happy with it all - and have had a number of similar comments from people I have bumped into with similar.

Alan
AnswerID: 161528

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:04
Decisions, decisions. They're half the fun of the holiday.

Just my tuppence worth now. I recently purchased (2nd hand) a Campomatic CT which included a Stessel + all the bells and whistles, (trolly wheels etc) and swing over boat loader.

But the other extra that came with the boat was a roof top carrier with pully lifter for the wagon. Now I have not had time to use any of this yet. But I like the option of being able leave the CT at camp (or home) and take the boat away (on top) if it's some distance away to the favourite fishing hole.

Also when storing everything at home I don't have to worry about storing an extra trailer, rego etc.
Good luck with the final decision and tight lines.
AnswerID: 161593

Reply By: Patrol22 - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 07:43

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 07:43
Thanks everyone - that gives me a good range of things to think about before I take the plunge.

Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 161611

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:46

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:46
I have a habit of following a couple of the fishing/boating forums which indicate that Mr. Stessl has closed down & reopened business a number of times. This alone would help me make a decision.

The external T piece keel would be the klincher, sooner or later you ARE going to run over a "floating rock".

Ian
AnswerID: 161652

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 16:25

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 16:25
Thanks Ian - I'm more or less settled on a Quintrex now - either the 370 Traveller or the 355 Dart - probably the former as the beam an other stats meet my requirements without too much modification to the boat rack.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 416389

Sponsored Links