Croajingolong

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:27
ThreadID: 31906 Views:2215 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

we're planning a trip to Croajingalong NP (east coast Victoria) for next summer. there seems to be a number of destinations for camping. Does anyone have any experience of the area? Are there any locations that are outstanding compared to the others?

Any help appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:30

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:30
Wheres Mrs Al she knows all about that joint, she just won the comp with that place as an answer.

(I said it was Point Hicks by the way) Right Point wrong place name.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 161531

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:43

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 18:43
LOL John, I've never camped there so can't comment on what camping areas are like, perhaps Jodi, who submitted the pic might be able to shed light on where to camp etc...

whatever, it's a lovely part of the world, though I may be biased being a Victorian I reckon it's all beautiful

cheers

Lyn

PS I said Pt Hicks on an earlier guess.... ;)
FollowupID: 416271

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 19:56

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 19:56
G'day Eccles.

Croajingolong is an extensive park. I've camped in the Point Hicks, Thurra River, Muella River area a number of times.

I go there mainly to photograph on the sand dunes. At 140 meters in height they are the second highest sand dunes in the southern hemisphere, the higher ones being in Namibia. It's quite a walk to the best dunes for my purpose.

On my last trip I didn't go to the dunes because it was summer. Some photos taken around the rivers and coast can be seen on my wilderness landscape photography website at:

Point Hicks Lighthouse

Mueller River Mouth

Regards,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 161545

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 20:18

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 20:18
Depends a bit on time of year.

For example, in school holidays it would be crowded at many nice spots like Cape Conran

However, Wingan Inlet is a top spot, harder to get to, when we were last there it was not condusive to trailers & caravans, so all the better.
Watch out for dropping tree limbs and naughty goannas.

We also went and camped in the Mallacoota caravan park out of school hols, & it was fine - just a bit exposed when the storms came through!
AnswerID: 161549

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 21:06

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 21:06
goodday eccles
if you are looking at school holidays you will need to book there a lot of good spots with abit of 4b thrown in but you can ring the ranger at Cann River I think thats where they take the bookings as well
depends on which end you want to stay as it includes mallacoota down towards lakes or north towards eden but that area has limited access unless you like hiking as the greenies have managed to get a lot shut off and walk in only
and as was prevoiusly mentioned some big sand dunes

steve
AnswerID: 161563

Reply By: Jodi - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:23

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:23
Hi Eccles,

I submitted the photo for the comp of Croajingolong. We've camped right throughout the park - every spot is stunning. My advise to you is DO NOT GO DURING HOLIDAYS OVER SUMMER or any long weekend. It's just about dead quiet all year round then it's like a freeway in and out for school holidays and easter. If you want to know about a particular spot let me know.

Jodi
AnswerID: 161674

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:24

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:24
We went to Wingan inlet last year and it was easy to get in with the CT with a tinnie on top . Stunning bird life in the camp sites and quite often I got a fright when I was reading - when a blue wren hopped onto my knee . There were Wonga Pidgeons , Bower Birds , Thrushes , wallabys - all wandering unconcerned around the camp .
When you felt energetic , you can catch some big flathead in the inlet or walk to the beach to see the seal colony .
A stunning place .
Willie .
AnswerID: 161675

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 16:42

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 16:42
Camped at Shipwreck Creek, out behind the airport close to Mallacoota. Great camping although not a real safe swimming beach.
Did an overnight walk along the coast and bought a tick home with me!
AnswerID: 161699

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:09

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:09
This place must be the HOME of ticks.

We stayed there, quite a nice camp ground , quite small though , and not suitable for Large tents and CT's.

Everyone one of our family (of 6) , had 4 or more ticks on them. We went for a hike down to the Beach at Shipwreck Creek.

FollowupID: 416521

Reply By: Eccles - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:50

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:50
Thanks everyone for making the effort to reply, I've got a lot out of it so far and will plan accordingly. Much appreciated
AnswerID: 161830

Sponsored Links