NT and QL 4wd trips: have I planned right?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 05:36
ThreadID: 31917 Views:2507 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I've planned the following trips, could you please tell me if times are short or not?

Month: August

4 DAYS:
- Darwin, Kakadu Nat. Park (Jabiru, Ubirr, Cooinda, Jim Jim Fall), Katherine Gorge Nat.Park, Katherine (Gregory Nat. Park?), Pine Creek Adelaide River, Litchfield Nat. Park, Darwin.

6 DAYS:
- Alice Springs, Glen Helen, Hermannsburg, Undandita, Watarrka Nat. Park (Kings Canyon), Wallera Ranch, Ayers Rock, The Olgas, Alice Springs.
- Alice Springs, Chambers Pillars, Alice Springs

4 DAYS:
- Cairns, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation, Cooktown, Quinkan Reserve, Daintree Nat. Park, Cairns
- Cairns, Kuranda, Mareeba, Atherton, Yungaburra, Milla Milla , Babinda, Cairns.

A billion thanks!

Giorgio

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:14

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:14
Depends on what your trying to achieve. If you're just interested in a hard drive you might just make it if you don't kill yourself in the mean time.
If you want to see something, I'd double the times on everything.
If you want a holiday, I'd turn the word "Days", into weeks.

AnswerID: 161614

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:10

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:10
Giorgio

Mate, thats pushing it

Trip 1 Try and extend to 6 dyas or more.

Trip 2 Well, it can be done but you are pushing it.
BTW Wallara Ranch does not exist any more.

Trip 3 Is achievable but you will spend a lot of time in your vehicle

Cheers
AnswerID: 161621

Follow Up By: prolonga - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:58

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:58
Willem,
thank for your reply.
Australia is far, the flight isn't inexpensive and vacations are limited :-(
Which places may I leave out?

Giorgio
FollowupID: 416342

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:02

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:02
Giorgio

I take it that you will be hiring a 4x4.

I would leave out the trip to Cairns(for a later visit) as you will be experiencing similar vegetation and scenery in comparison to that of the Tropics in the Northern Territory. It may be more lush around Cairns but you have to get there from Central Australia first and then hire another 4x4 and set it up for your trip. Also the journey to Cooktown via Daintree is quite extreme in places.

You must remember also that the drive from Darwin to Alice Springs is 1490 kilometres in distance.

Spend the extra 4 days you have in the Tropics of the Northern Territory and enjoy!

Gregory National Park is a good place to visit but some of the tracks could be quite rough in places.

Go to my website below, click on 4x4 and then you can read about some of the areas you intend to visit.

Cheers
FollowupID: 416403

Follow Up By: prolonga - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:13

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:13
Willem,
Darwin/Alice Springs is a not planned by 4wd, it's a flight transfer.
I'll have a look to your site for further hints but by now I'm assuming that I need to reconsider all my vacation!

Tks

Giorgio
FollowupID: 416523

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:27

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:27
Hi giorgio

I think you're pushing it.

I hope your don't have 14 days in total and are planning to do these one after the other. You'll need at least a day to fly from one location to the other and then start these trips at sunrise and finish at sunset or later.

It all depends what you want to get out of your trip.
If you're after a holiday then you'll simply experince your "holiday" from photos when you get home.
If you're just distributing drugs then these times would be perfect.

R.
AnswerID: 161658

Follow Up By: prolonga - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:50

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:50
About the flights dont' worry, I've planned one extra day for each trip.

I wrote just the trips, without domestic flights.

Giorgio
FollowupID: 416515

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:03

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:03
Gaday Giorgio. Your itinery reads like a bus tour, very busy with long days.
The first loop is probably at least one day short as not enough time has been left to do any of the tours. (Katherine Gorge, Yellow Waters etc) If you aim to get into the major tourist destinations around 3 then its possible to see plenty during the day & take the sunset cruises.
Trip 2 you will only be able to have brief stops at most of the main tourist sites. If you had to leave anything out Chambers Pillar is a bit over rated & will save you a day. IMHO it's one of those places you get to & say "Is that It!" :-))
The run out from Cairns can be done in 4 days but would not bother returning to Cairns midway. I'd suggest running up the coast through the Daintree & Cape trib to Cooktown then returning inland to save time to Marreba. Kuranda is best seen by taking the train up & the Skyway back out of Cairns.
By starting early & keeping moving you should be able squeeze in most of the highlights that the areas you've chosen have to offer but to do them justice you really need a month in all 3.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 161669

Follow Up By: prolonga - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:00

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:00
Uhmmm..
I keep it in my mind and I'll .... restyle all my vacation leaving out something.

tks Craig

Giorgio
FollowupID: 416518

Reply By: prolonga - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:24

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:24
Following your hints, I have revised my trips (see firts post):

Darwin loop: FIVE full days (plus flight transfer extra day)
Alice Springs loop: SEVEN full days (plus flight transfer extra day)
North QSL & coral reef: I'll see what to do

How does that sound? :-)

Tks

Giorgio
AnswerID: 162066

Sponsored Links