The Big Trip - 1st Leg

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:06
ThreadID: 31946 Views:2004 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I’d share the first leg of our planned ‘Big Trip’. Looking for any comments on improvements, things to see and do, places not to miss, good camp spots etc.

What I’m calling our first leg is from Gold Coast to Katherine via Cameron’s Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville and Mt Isa. We cannot leave until 9th May due to other commitments, and have to be at Katherine on 22nd May to meet up with some friends for the next leg. More on that leg later.

First target is Cameron’s Corner. We will head out from Gold Coast via Warwick, Goondiwindi, St George, Cunnamulla and Thargomindah. From there we will probably go West to Noccundra, then head down through Naryilco and across to Cameron’s Corner. Ideally, I’d like to get to Bollard’s Lagoon for the second night. We would camp the first night somewhere between Cunnamulla and Thargomindah, as close to Thargomindah as we can safely manage. Two big days to do this, but it will give us more time in the ‘target area’. Anyone familiar enough with the roads to comment whether this is sensible?

From Bollard’s Lagoon, it’s up the Bore Track and join the Adventure Way East of Innamincka. We’ll spend a couple of days (3 nights?) in this area and will probably camp at least part of the time at Cullyamurra Waterhole. Naturally we’ll drop out and pay our respects at the Dig Tree. Plan is one day from Bollard’s to Innamincka.

From there we’ll head out via Walker’s Crossing to Birdsville. Hopefully 3 nights in Birdsville (with Ruth at the CP of course). Lunch or dinner at the Pub, visit to the museum and a trip out to Big Red. Plan is one day from Innamincka to Birdsville.

From Birdsville, it is the obvious route North via Bedouri and Boulia to Mt Isa for another couple of nights. Possibly a mine tour and a look at the Dinosaurs before the long run to Katherine. Probably 2 days from Birdsville to Mt Isa and another 2 to Katherine.

This plan leaves us with one day free to make our deadline to Katherine by 22nd. Just in cas of delays or we need more time somewhere.

That’s it for the 1st leg. What do you think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:30

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:30
Norm,
When you're at Cullyamurra, go up to the choke and have a look around for some aboriginal rock carvings. They are engraved on rocks laying on the ground and can be hard to see. Put some sand over the engravings and they will stand out much easier to see. I was walking over the top of them for about 15 min. before I noticed them.
AnswerID: 161725

Reply By: scottp - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:02

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:02
Haven't Been out that way myself, but have done a bit of research for when I get a chance. Trying to work a trip around the Cunnamulla-Eulo lizard races in September.

1. Mud springs just past Eulo on the way to Thargomindah. might be good for a few photos.

2. Lake Bindegolly NP might be good for a camp on the first night. (not sure that there is camping permitted. Check on the epa web site.)

3.Boulia. Make sure you ask the locals about the realm of the Min Min and soak up a few stories.

4. Have a bloody good time!

(jelaous as hell.)

Safe travels, and when you get back we all want a list of the best things\places.

Scott.

AnswerID: 161744

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:26

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:26
Sure Scott, I hope to have plenty of stories and pics.
I wasn't aware of Lake Bindegolly. Have since Googled it and most of the info relates to Bird Watching. Although we are not 'Bird Watchers', my wife normally carries a favorite 'birds of Australia' book and loves to try to identify them.

It is not clear that there is any vehicle access to the lake. All the references I've seen so far are to walking in.
FollowupID: 416437

Follow Up By: scottp - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 23:00

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 23:00
link text

yep!

no camping allowed acording to epa.

give the Bulloo Shire council a call (TEL:0746553133) with regard to the Bulloo devlopmental Rd camping reserve.

The camping reserve is located oppersite the NP.

FollowupID: 416466

Reply By: GEG - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:32

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:32
Just thought I would advise you that mt isa to katherine in one day sounds a bit much...be careful...Last time I tried to do that we had to stop at threeways...night had descended on us and I never travel out there when it gets dark. Sounds like a great trip though.

wish it was me...
AnswerID: 161826

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:44

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:44
Thanks GEG. Plan is 2 days to Katherine. We'll choose our camp spot on the way.
FollowupID: 416506

Reply By: Member - Nutter (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:42

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:42
Hi Norm C, that will be a great trip , I have been to alot of the places you are planning to go ,if time permits while you are in the Innamincka area try to go up to the Coongie Lakes , I believe it is worth the drive. Have camped at both Cullyamurra & the town common on the Cooper both are great. Don't forget the Waddi trees north of Birdsville, I haven't been to those but I have seen them at Mac Clark Reserve. Have at great trip and travel safe.

Regards
Nutter
AnswerID: 161866

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:25

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:25
Thanks Nutter. I'd love to go up to Coongie Lakes, but would only be able to manage a day on this trip. The SA Deserts Pass is a bit expensive for one day.

We'll go back another time and do a fair bit of the Desert area, perhaps downd to Flinders Ranges as well. That way I'll get better value for the pass and another good trip to boot.
FollowupID: 416531

Follow Up By: Member - Nutter (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:23

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:23
I hadn't given the SA Desert pass a thought, Norm , as you say a good reason to plan another trip to the region, nothing wrong with that,
See ya
Nutter
FollowupID: 416545

Sponsored Links