centre diff lock on disco 11

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:21
ThreadID: 3195 Views:2135 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Has anybody fitted the kit which enables the centre diff lock to be engaged from the dashboard?.The one i am looking at locks the CDL in or out and can work in conjunction with traction control on or off.My vehicle is not just a pretty face ,it is also very capable off road as well.In which situations does CDL a major benefit?

Thanks Marcus,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 14:21

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 14:21
Hi Marcus, I have had the CDL reactivated in my Disco2. There are a number of ways this can be done, both electroniclly and mechanically, and both have advantages and disadvantages, though both at this stage seem to be reliable. LR state the ETC program can not be run with the CDL locked in, though there are people all over the world doing exactly this, myself included, and AFAIK nobody has had a related problem. The only thing it seems to do is further increase off road performance and some believe ease the load on the 4WD.
With ETC I think they are pretty capable, though it improves hill climbing and descending, especially on loose surfaces and heavy rock hopping if you have modified the vehicle. It will also benefit stall starts for failed hill climbs. The strength of the vehicle should be ok, especially considering that LR have also just reintroduced this function.
Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 12338

Follow Up By: Marcus - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 18:27

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 18:27
Hi Slunnie, Thanks for your reply.I believe that the CDL can be an advantage when on severe hill climbs and descents.The $660 Quoted will be money well spent and all i lose is the ashtray from the dash.Since i enjoy getting offroad it will be good equipment to have on board.

Regards marcus
FollowupID: 7154

Follow Up By: Marcus - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:59

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 13:59
Slunnie

So good to read some positive feedback on the above mentioned vehicle for a change.At easter i took it to Fraser Island for a week then to Cairns and Cape Trib. down via the Whitsundays and home to Melb. a total of 9040 klms on $685 of diesel.This included A/C most of the way and the heavy sand of Fraser.It is td5 manual so good for touring and very capable off road as well.Coming home was caught in lots of slow traffic down the coast(police blitzing every second town)forced to cruise at 85-90klms and was amazed to exceed 1000klms to my standard tank.Not bad for2.2tonnes and constant 4wd.It is solid strong and reliable and not an ounce of trouble in 80000k's but it is looked after runs on synthetic because i love it.

marcus
FollowupID: 7238

Reply By: Lloydy - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 21:13

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 21:13
Sunnie
You get around

I always new the abilty was there to lock the centre diff in your model,
It is interesting to find out how.

Tell me what you seriously think of it. I have heard that it chews up tracks, and sand.

I have heard the latest Disco from LR has gone for performance,
which means lower profile tyres (No ability to let down in sand), softer brake pads and disks. The brake pads and disks will need to be replace 30- 35 thou Km at $1700 ago.

I heard this from a service manager at a LR service department.

This is really dissappointing as far as I am concerned for the offroad enthusiest.
Good that they bought back the centre diff lock.

chears

v8 98 disco
with accessories
AnswerID: 12368

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 00:18

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 00:18
LOL, g'day Lloydy! Just a forum tart hey! :D

The Disco2 has a very similar transfer case to the Disco1(pre-99), the only difference being that the Disco2 transfer has another switch to detect low and high range. It does this to alter the mapping for the throttle control, but apart from that, there is no difference. The nut is still on top of the transfer to lock the CDL, and infact the transfer linkage from the Disco1 will bolt straight up to it and operate normally. People started to do this initially with the Disco2, and I think some even used the transfer linkages from the RangeRover which also worked, but the amount of noise that travelled up the mechanical links was less than acceptable after all of the work that BMW put in deaden the NVH. The transfer lever in the Disco2 is a remote cable operated unit now. There are a number of aftermarket ways of activating the CDL now, such as electronic solenoid based units, wiper motor based units each which operate the CDL independantly of the transfer lever. There are cable operated ones, knobs and twisty handles. They all seem to work and I have not heard of any breaking down. I think even LandRover in the latest update to the Disco2 use an electronic version. (just note though the CDL nut was removed from the transfer case between mid2001 and 2003, being reinstated for the MY2003).

What do I honestly think of it? Well, in all honesty, 1.5yrs down the track I love it. I have not had a vehicle so problem free and capable in my life despite what people say. In terms of looking at the vehicle as a mechanical entity used for 4WDing I think it is absolutely superb. I think that it is more capable than the LC and Patrol in some terrain, and less capable in other areas. Being a totally different 4WD system to those two vehicles performance varies. It does to a certain extent chew up tracks because the 4wd system works by sending power to all wheels, then using the brakes to control wheel slip and resend the power to the other 3 (or 2 or 1). This in itself is great for good surfaces that the tyre can bite on, such as tracks that provide for diagonal wheelspin, but the problems may be in climbing really really steep loose hills where if both front wheels decide to tramp and the brakes are then used to slow them for grip. You would be surprised at what it takes to do this though. If you then need to perform a stall start, not having the back axle locked into the front may also cause problems with wheel lock up. In the sand the ETC is fine. The big problem is if there has not been enough air let out from the tyres the ETC will slow the vehicle down, but as soon as the pressures have been dropped, and not to anything special, the ETC basically goes to sleep. I have back to backed CDL and non-CDL on Stockton beach, and there is very little difference, if any. On Fraser I hardly ever saw the ETC light come on and I was running 25psi. When it did come on it was due to the wheel spin caused by alternating criss-cross pot-holes in the track from bogged vehicles adn it just kept me driving through. I think is isn't as good as CDL when climbing steep loose dunes though, but apart from that, no worries. I prefer it for trail work though over conventional CDL 4WD systems.

With the CDL locked in and ETC operating it is nothing short of breath taking - honestly, it will outwheel most things on the track short of double diff locks. It needs to be seen to believed. If you do get wheel spin the ETC is twice as powerful as it now needs 2 wheels to lose traction at any one time (like a normal 4WD) and has 2 brakes controlling the spin action. It travels sand, very very steep hills, dunes, stall starts, rocks etc. with absolute ease and less wheel spin than normal 4WD's. You can take it up tracks that even trail bikes won't go up, and I am absolutely serious about that!

In terms of offroading don't be dissappointed in the revised Disco2(MY03), as it is more capable than the Disco2(MY99-02). They have clipped the front bumper to improve the clearance, they have added CDL with ETC, and just these 2 modifications make a huge difference to it's 4WDability. They altered the computer mapping to provide greater torque with no losses down low, something the LR modifying crowd do with even greater success. Power and torque can be improved in these by about 25-30% and still return improved fuel consumption!

The tyres are exactly the same as those that have been used in all previous Disco2's. The rims are a different design, though they are still the same specifications and interchangable. All tyres are a standard 29" which is a bit small, though biggers ones up to about 32's fit easily. I run 33's. There is an option for an 18" rim which has 255/55-18 tyres and you will pay lots for these. Thse tyres don't work well off road as the sidewalls are so small the rims will get dented and there isn't a lot of scope to air-down for sand and rocks. The 18" wheel pack is more for the soccer mums, executive dads and alpine crew. Good looking and very streetable. There is still the 16x7 and 16x8 rims from the factory that most offroaders use, and these are pretty good, and don't mind a good aring-down with unbelievable bead retaining rings inside them (a tyre changers nightmare if he hasn't seen them before). I have come off the beach at about 12psi before with no problems. One problem with the rim, is that I have heard the odd report of BFG tyres with rim protectors allowing dirt into the bead, though if you don't air down in mud with that particular tyre it should be ok - heaps have also had no drama here.

With the softer rotors and pads, I must say I didn't realise they changed the rotor material, though I was aware that the calipers and pads were revised. This was done to improve the brake pedal feel, though I'm honestly not quite sure why they bothered, as I have never noticed any problems here. With the Km given to you, I am a little surprised. I have heard of rotors lasting 40,000km through to never been touched. It really depends on how its driven. If they do need replacing EBC sell excellent pads and high performance rotors cheaper than LR. No doubt they will also last longer and they produce no brake dust.

But seriously Lloydy, the revised Disco2 will outperform any pre-03 Disco and just about any other std 4WD on the market.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 7163

Reply By: BoneMan - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 15:46

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 15:46
Hi Slunnie,

Thanks for a very good and informative write up on the Disco. I'm new to the forum and have been reading it for a while trying to find usefull info.

Anyway, I'm considering getting a new TD 2003 disco, - the LandCruiser TD is tooo dear for me, I don't like to look of the Prado, and the Patrol is just too big.

As I'm already stretching the budget on the new disco - I asked the dealer for a different set of tyres and he assures me the ones on the car are the best for the car. I would like to get 10.5x31 AT tyres, however, I did not tell him this.

Is this tyre suitable (ie. fits/legal) for the disco. What is your openion?? The main reason for wanting the 10.5x31 tyres is because I had these on my old 4wd (hilux surf) and already have a spare, I did about 80k on the tyres before I sold the surf and they still had plenty of tread on them and I never had a flat. Also, the other 4wd we go out with has 10.5x31 tyres (therefore an extra spare if needed).

I've been waiting for over a year for the 2003 Disco.

Thanks in advance.
BoneMan
AnswerID: 12481

Sponsored Links