Diesel purge treatment

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 22:50
ThreadID: 31964 Views:3530 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My mechanic is suggesting I do a diesel purge treatment, to keep my fuel pump and injectors in good condition. I have done 183,000km and not touched the injectors or pump yet. Hilux 3lt turbo running well. Had it since 43,000km. The cost of the mix he puts through is $200! plus labour. Supposed to clean all vanish, deposits etc. from pump, injectors and cylinder head. I've done a search and can't find any diesel purge for that sort of price. He says he has it made up and it has an expensive ingredient which is used in Kevla manufacture. Any readers tell me more or explain?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 23:42

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 23:42
I have used a fuel system cleaner on K19 Series Cummins engines. It is was made by Fleetguard from memory, available from Cummins. It came in a 10 lt container (like a cheap winebox), disconnected the pickup & return lines,placed pickup line in the solution, run for a min. or two with return line in a seperate container to clear any fuel from filters & system, then run engine(with return line into the cleaner) on the cleaner until empty.These were engines that had very little load variations on them & got smokey after a while. Did this at about 6mth intervals AND it did work. Can't remember what it cost per container tho.
AnswerID: 161800

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 00:17

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 00:17
Run a couple of tanks of Biodiesel threw it, probally be just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper! Mines running SO clean now it's rediculous, barley any smoke on startup and none noticable while driving, I'm running the same 1kz-TE motor that the 3L Turbo Hilux has...
AnswerID: 161804

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:03

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:03
Is it just a matter of filling up with bio diesel a couple of times or do I have to do anything to the fuel system. I read in other threads that you have to change the filter. How often? Is it ok to chop and change from bio diesel to regular diesel? Where can I get bio diesel in Melbourne. I'm south east.
FollowupID: 416490

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:22

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:22
Yeah apparantly you need to change your fuel filter more often for the first few months because it's cleaning out the crap in the fuel system. I have not needed to as yet, but I have a spare in the toolbox just in case. The guy I'm buying it off reckons you can heat up some biodiesel in a bucket or similar and rinse out the dirty filter, he said it'll keep the cost down. He reckons by doing that you can extend the life of the filter out to it's normal working life so as you're not forking out another $20 here and there for filters (which would kind o defeat the purpose of saving .20c a litire).

You can mix biodiesel with petro diesel as much or as little as you like, I will probally end up putting about 10-20 litires of petro diesel in the tank when it's the middle of winter to prevent the biodiesel getting to thick when it's around 0c. Obviously I would imagine the best results of the biodeisel cleaning your system would be with a B100 mix (100% biodiesel). I've put about 240L through now and it's deffinaltlly made a difference, with a marked improvment in power on the open highway good fuel economy and no smoke. The only downside is I have to glow the plugs a little longer in the morning if I want it to start as quick as it did on disel, otherwise there is another turn or two of the stater motor. Only on the first start of the day though, after that, you'd never know any difference...
FollowupID: 416525

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:14

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:14
I'm now been running only B100 since the end of january, oil stays cleaner, motor runs smoother, pulls better on hills, NO smoke once the engine has warmed up(blows a faint bit of blue smoke when engine is cold) and apart from a bit more glow on the first start of the day it starts normally. Might have to back off to a mix in cold weather though as the bio might gel a bit.
Haven't had to change the filters at all even though the truck is 18 years old.
FollowupID: 416809

Reply By: Twinkles - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:02

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:02
Thanks Jeff. Do you know where I can get biodiesel in Melbourne?
AnswerID: 162131

Sponsored Links