Be careful when working with gas

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:55
ThreadID: 31970 Views:2679 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Friends

I am sending this note because I don't want this to happen to anyone here or anyone I know. Doesn't matter how old or how much camping you have done this applies to everyone. My grandfather got burned over the weekend and it's pretty bad. Here is the story

There was a power outage so he went to grab the gas lamp so they can see. They are 70 years old so the eyes are not that good anymore. The gas container was one of those little blue containers that let a little bit of gas out when you put the lamp bit on to puncture the container. He was working on the kitchen bench where there was a candle 2 meters away. He thought that was far enough and there will only be a little bit of gas in the air but not enough to turn the little gas canister into a blow torch.

I am not going to go into the rest of it but please no matter how many gas bottles or BBQ's or gas lamps you have turned on in your life. Please be careful gas is not something that should be taken lightly. After the events on the weekend it made me think how comfortable I have gotten with lighting something running on gas and it's almost a natural thing lighting the gas lamp or the BBQ not, turn on gas and light with lighter and away you go.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 06:26

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 06:26
Sorry to hear about that Troll... Like anything else, complacency is your enemy. Good to be reminded every now and then that a lot of what we take for granted can and often does have some serious consequences. Never nice to have the reminder in the form of someone we know getting hurt. Hope your Grandfather recovers quickly.
AnswerID: 161821

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:38

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:38
Hi Blue

Yea I think we get so used to doing what we do without thinking anymore and it's just as natural as walking and putting one foot in front of the other.
0
FollowupID: 416505

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:47

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:47
Our best wishes for your Grandfather Troll, hope he gets better quickly!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 161829

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:06

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:06
a slight leak (that is not audible) can be very dangerous
been lucky at the BBQ once or twice in my life time
AnswerID: 161836

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:54

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:54
Trust the 'old bloke' is OK, and it is only his pride that is seriously hurt.

A friend and I almost got caught about 20 years ago.
Both families had gone camping together for the weekend.
Set up the stove to cook dinner, got distracted and didn't make sure the hose to the bottle was tight.
Lit the stove and had a big flame like a flame thrower coming out of the top of the gas bottle.
Had four young children around too.
Luckily I managed to grab the fire extuingisher in the car and put it out quickly, otherwise it might have more serious if the gas bottle had exploded.
That 2kg gas bottle was very hot.
Of course the kids were attracted by the flames and all wanted to see.

It happens so easily.
AnswerID: 161851

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:59

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:59
I had a similar experience a few years ago. The regulator failed and to my astonishment when i returned from the house to get the meat, flames four feet in the air. the heat was incredible. The bottle was under the BBQ on the clip and i just raced to turn the bottle off. I didnt consider the risk but could see the verandah of the house and the house probably going up in flames if i didnt do something. The bottle was very hot, a lucky day i think. I dont put the bottle under the BBQ on the stupid clip anymore and purchased a longer hose from Caravan accessories. The botttle is away from the BBQ now and i have since realised the importance of a "Gas Fuse" .. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 416517

Reply By: Jeepster-WA - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:37

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:37
Yep, hope the old guy is better soon, just prior to our trip early february, I purchased a new hose for the camp stove, attached it to a full 9kg bottle of gas and tried it out. Shortly after flames were coming from the ferrule near the stove attachment. I quickly turned off the burners and blew out the flame, and just then the crimp on the end of the hose gave way and i had a snarling hissing 2 metre hose thrashing around. I stood on it and turned off the gas, the missus and I just looked at each other and thanked god that the flame had been out prior to the crimp letting go!! This was a known brand that is now made in China!!

Jeepster
AnswerID: 161938

Reply By: JJ - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:08
Troll, I hope your Dad is well on the road to recovery.
I Hate Gas period! And having read these experiences, I like it mush less now!

My bad experience was in our ’99 Jayco Sprite 13ft Poptop which we've had from new. Rear kitchen with rear side opening door; has a 4 burner/grill Vanette cooker just inside the door; I now realise this is bad design for fire safety reasons...

While cooking dinner, I lifted the pot off to stir it when there was this huge baroom-swhoosh with orange flames everywhere. I immediately dropped the pot while turning the gas burner off, and it snuffed out just as quickly, thank goodness1
Luckily there was no injuries or damage done, but it gave us one hell of a fright!

I noticed then that to turn gas on, you normally press the kinda spring loaded knob down then turn, but not so with this Vanette burner, you just twist & it’s on!
So by what I can make out, what had happened was that while wiping around I had accidentally bumped the griller knob to slightly on; the gas had slowly accumulated & by lifting the pot from the lighted burner it created a draft up to the flame causing the ‘explosion’.
This could easily happen to someone less alert and even be fatal.

AnswerID: 161966

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)