Fridges - Continuous vs intermittent usage

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 15:59
ThreadID: 31988 Views:1909 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Have seen a few people mention that they have run their Engels/ Waecos continuously for years and years (presumably as a bar fridge or something when at home).

As we are just about to get a 60 ltr - is there any benefit is running it continuously as opposed to only switching it on when you go away on trips etc - was just wondering whether that would have a beneficial or detrimental effect on longevity...or perhaps even no effect at all?!!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:06

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:06
G'day Darren,

This question has been pondered before. I believe the experts on this forum suggest that the current compresor type fridges don't need to be run continuously. I have my 2 Waecos on all the time since purchased 4 years ago.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 161943

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:08
Our old green 39 litre engel is now just over 20 years old, and has seen plenty of corrugations etc.
Only gets used about 3 times a year for trips. Which makes you wonder about seals and things drying out. Sometimes doesn't get used for 9 months or so at a time.
Never been serviced, but it just starts up every time.
Rang engel about a service, and they said all they do is take the cover off, give it a blow to remove any dust, and check the motor mounts and electrical connections.
Nothing else to service.

So I can't see running it continuously like a domestic fridge makes that much difference.
Looking forward to see what other replies come in.

AnswerID: 161944

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:15

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:15
Makes no difference at all, IMO...

My 29L Engel is approx. 28 y/o, and it has sat for months at a time without being used.. Other times (like now) it gets as a "refreshment cooling device" & does it without complaint...
Only thing I would suggest is, if you're not using it for any length of time, leave the lid slightly open to avoid any stale smell inside...

Simple solution.. If ya have a use for it, use it.. If not, then leaving it switched off will not harm it in any way... (hasn't affected mine, anyway:-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 161946

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:20

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:20
Mine lives permanently in the patrol and is on 24/7. Always has some cold drinks in it and it's just easier to have it there, hardwired in with both 12v and 240v plugs connected plus a thermometer sensor with readout on the dash so I can always be sure it's working.
At night I just plug the 240v cord into the bullbar-mounted connection (caravan type white flip-up lid).....this automatically assumes responsibility for running the Engel as well as switching on the 3 stage charger to top-up the Fullriver AGM. The Jaycar thermometer mentioned above is also a battery monitor for the AGM, so in the cooler times, I don't even bother hooking the 240v up at night, as the little bit of driving I do is sufficient to keep the battery topped up.
Too easy.......it's always there, just like everything else on my rig that helps to contribute to it's minimum weight of 3 tonne....;-)))
Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 161948

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:38

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:38
Roachie,
Run all that by me again, i think i just didn't get the full gist of all the things the first time. Gee bloke all the gear. LOL.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 416657

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:55

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:55
At least you'll know it's working when you go. Nothing worse than packing up ready to go on that trip and guess what, there's something wrong with the fridge. Would put a big dampener on things :))))))
AnswerID: 161962

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:25

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:25
turn it off and save power and $$$

the tribunal is out still trying to decide if it does make a difference..

electronics (used in the fridges also) do however like (well so i've been led to believe) to be kept warm to drive out any moisture that may happen to penetrate soldered joints etc etc causing poor joints....take computers for instance...some people swear by leaving their computer's on and some say otherwise?

i leave my computer on 24/7 turn the monitor off when not in use, and turn the fridges off?

make sense of it as you will...
AnswerID: 161973

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:45

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:45
Darren C,
I turn both my camping fridges (40 lt Chescold, 80 lt Trailblaza) on regularly for a run, at least once a month for a day or two. Around the festive season they run for months at a time. Computer stays on 95% of the time also.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 162011

Sponsored Links