do a search!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:28
ThreadID: 32010 Views:2349 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
There are a number of questions on certain subjects that are often repeated. If we were to do a search as suggested by some members, then the forum would not need to operate as it does.
The reply( do a search) assumes that all the correct answers have already been posted, which is a pity as I am sure that many like myself as we modify and add or change our 4wd come across new ideas or methods not already mentioned.
As for me I will still ask questions bheduase the world does not stand still.

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:39

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:39
Couldn't agree more.
AnswerID: 162077

Reply By: revhead307 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:42

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:42
The world is neither white nor black, it is grey.

Some questions are definitively answered in past threads, so doing a search can be the only resource necessary. As you mention the world does not stand still and new products come on the market, so it is always good to pop a thread up and see if there is anything new out.

Sometimes there are soo many matches to a thread reading them all would take 1/2 hour and its easier to pop up a new thread

As with anything...a balance is needed.

I am a relative newcomber to this site (6 or so months) . Ive read so many threads on what battery should i buy, what fridge should i buy and solar vs generator im going mental.

But there is always a stream of new visitors or members who are still learning their way around that dont search...its the same on every forum. They need to be encouraged not shot down for asking, as they may have other things to contribute.

I fully appreciate people who get sick of hearing the same old questions, and it does get annoying...

Patience isnt considered a virtue for nothing

Rev

AnswerID: 162080

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:01

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:01
Things do change and regarding batteries AGM's appear to be the flavour of the month yet 12 mths ago or less they hardly rated a mention with people debating the merits of conventional deep cycles V's crankers.
FollowupID: 416762

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:44

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:44
Terry,

You are quite correct re the world not standing still and quite probably the correct/best answer has not been posted. However, there is quite a deal of knowledge and experience that has been posted and sometimes the answer to a question can quite easily be found by doing a search.

I get answers to a lot of my questions by doing a search and not having to post. Depends on the question though, does'nt it. :)))))

Regards
AnswerID: 162081

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:24

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:24
The trolls dont even try anymore.. but boy do they get bites!
FollowupID: 416811

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:36
Do a search! :))))))))))
FollowupID: 416922

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:47

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:47
All so Often a search will not tell you what you want to know as it may be a specific question you would like to ask about a item or something you want clarified after you have done a search.

If everybody did a search the forum would sit still, after all haven’t most topics been covered before?
Tyres, suspension, Bio-diesel, cruiser or patrol, why cruiser and patrols are better than everything else, Coopers are chits MTRs are the best, 3.0l Patrol blowing up, winch/ bull bars, fridge’s and so forth.
AnswerID: 162082

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:11

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:11
Thought i would add

I don’t really care if something is repeated; I simply jump on scan 1 or 2 pagers, if a topic caches my eye I will open it have a read, contribute if I feel the need for better or worse and monitor it if it look’s to be interesting.

Nothing makes a new comer feel welcomer than a reply that states, Do a search! They probably think what a bunch of grumpy tosspot’s and move to another site.

FollowupID: 416764

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:33

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:33
Exploder,
Maaaate, you gotta be kiddin', with the likes of Willem, Lucy, Mike Harding, and Deslexic waiting with their fingers poised over the keyboard, this place will NEVER stand still. LOL.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 416773

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:37

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:37
Hahahahahaha....Pezza

Yes I suppose so. I log on twice a day.

BUT I will be gone for a month from the end of April and then a again for 10 weeks from the middle of June.

You will then have to take solace in the other frequenters...lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 416812

Reply By: revhead307 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:57

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:57
I think regular users of the site guage a feel for what topics are searchable and what are postable.

Of course a lot of situations are unique and need answering as such, and yes if no one ever posted a topic that was in the archives...the site would die.

however its rarely the regulars that post the topics that hail a 'do a search', as they've been on here long enough to soak up that wisdom.

Its impossible to get the newies to use their heads and search before posting and frankly, its probably good interaction for them at the start....if they get their question answered satisfactorily in a thread, they may stick around.

rather than searching the info...leaving the site and not bothering to respond to any threads they may have expertise in.

There is no clear cut answer on this question you guys and its arrogance to think there is.

Rev

AnswerID: 162084

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:59

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:59
Terry I agree 100% - there was a similar post a while ago and some of the older members (in membership, not necessarily age) sometimes get a bit short at having to give replies over again. But as you say the forum is for members and visitors and answers can change over time. So as the saying goes the really dumb question is the one you dont ask
AnswerID: 162087

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:43

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:43
maybe I should have done a search first!

Terry
FollowupID: 416775

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:08
No such thing as silly questions.......Only silly answers!
AnswerID: 162091

Reply By: K and S - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:08
Agree with your comments; have to admit it annoys me when I see "do a search".
I think it can come across as being a bit offensive sometimes depending on how it's worded.

"Do a search"

or

"There's allot of good info on this subject in the archives if you feel like doing a search"

A bit more typing but I know which one would encourage me to become more active on the forum

Keith

AnswerID: 162092

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:56

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:56
So true. We can't see facial expressions or body language here so how things are expressed is important. I'm sure there's plenty of posts here that seem to fire up because one person didn't understand another's attempt at humour or sarcasm etc and all it may need is a ;) etc.
FollowupID: 416789

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:39
What would help would an easier way to get access to FAQ's - we already have them here on Solar Power, Battery Power etc.

If it were easier for members to contribute to them, then I think more members would make the effort to summarise the learnings from a thread once there had been a reasonable debate on it.

A discussion has just started on keeping ants out tents - it would be graet to have the learnings from that saved, rather than fading into the Archives. It doesn't have to be a single Exploroz opinion - it could be "Sgme people are convinced Alternators never charge above 70%, others are convinced they will charge a battery fully".

If we had a manageable number of FAQ's then instead answering a newbie with "Do a search", it will be easy to answer "Look at Exploroz FAQ 1234"

I've seen a member-managed FAQ work in other Forums.

Mike
AnswerID: 162123

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:11

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:11
Rather ironic that this thread appears after posting a question and getting the do a search response. Maybe my response was a little short in another post but it's along the same vain as what others have replied here

>>>>>
oh please enlighten me more with the search function. Or maybe you could just do the search for me to find the answers to the questions I have asked? Do you know for a fact that the questions have been answered in earlier posts? Maybe I have done a search already and couldn't find the answers. Maybe I don't have as much time as some to troll through old posts. but if you notice the exhaust posts are mostly for the 4.2td.

Leroy

FollowUp 2 of 3 posted 21 Mar 2006 at 20:42 - (FollowupID: 416721)
Member - Pezza (QLD) posted this followup

With an attitude like that it makes me wonder why I even bothered to try and help, no worries, won't bother next time.

Pezza
" NO FEAR " means you're not going fast enough!
View Members Rig & Profile

FollowUp 3 of 3 posted 22 Mar 2006 at 06:54 - (FollowupID: 416803)
Leroy posted this followup

Didn't mean to rub you up the wrong way but you've been around long enough to know I've been around long enough to know where the search button is. If you read my question you would see I am refering to an old post that I must of searched for!
I just get annoyed with people that give replies of 'have you done a search?' especially when it appears from my question I have.

There are heaps of questions that get repeatedly asked but
conditions and situations change, life is not static otherwise we would not need a forum only a big fat FAQ!
>>>>>
Leroy

AnswerID: 162133

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 21:03
Leroy,
In my innitial response, which you didn't post here, I simply tried to help.
I know you have been using this forum quite a bit and for a fairly long time, there are a lot of people that use this forum for a long time and never have the time or inclination to look around to see what other functions are available to them, therefore don't realize half the options open to them. We frequently see the phrase " Gee, I've been coming here for ages and never knew about that ! "
I was not to know you weren't one of these people.
Also a lot of people aren't real competent with a puter, me included, or are new to the site, ( I know you're not new ) and don't know how to use the search function even if they knew it was there.
I have never answered with a blunt "Do a search", I have always explained to people, as I did to you, how to find the search function and then how to do a search.
If after that they still haven't had their question answered then by all means put up a post.
It was not obvious in your original post that you had done a search, you stated "in a recent post ", that could mean that you remembered a post recently but couldn't recall it's exact content.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 417043

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:35

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:35
I don't mind seeing a new post about old topics. If I'm interested I look, if it is about tyres (again) I don't open it.

"Do a search" is a rude answer, a pointer to a post would be much more friendly.

Cheers

Petet
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162141

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:45

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:45
Yep....Guilty of being rude and inconsiderate at times.

Will try to moderate my ways and be plurry NICE to everyone

From GRUMPY OLD MAN.....lol

Maybe we should say when replying to a post;

"The answer lies here....... and if you do a search of the Archives, then you may gain additional information to help you find the right answers to your question"

Truckster take note.....LOLOL
AnswerID: 162144

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:26

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:26
couldnt agree more
FollowupID: 416828

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 16:58

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 16:58
KNICKERS....

I reckon a box should pop up before your allowed to post, saying HAVE YOU SEARCHED, then a search window opens up.

Do we always have to hold peoples hands?
FollowupID: 416950

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:46

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:46
Totally agree. If i wanted to search I would have before i posted, if I chose not to search, then everyone can choose to answer me or not. hahaha
AnswerID: 162180

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 17:11

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 17:11
lazy bleep
FollowupID: 416953

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 18:00

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 18:00
hey did you search for this, it has been posted before hahaha.

Lazy maybe, but i pay for the privledge...hahaha
FollowupID: 416962

Sponsored Links