A new "secret" to share with my EO Friends

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:32
ThreadID: 32011 Views:4913 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I've got onto a different cut of meat. It's called "Bone In Blade Steak".

Currently $6 for the kilo at Safeway (Woolworths in the nether regions).

It's essentilally Oyster Blade and its surrounding relatives accumulated around the bone. Kinda like a T Bone but a touch different. Very lean and a tiny bone in the middle.

Put over a VERY hot BBQ grill and served up Rare or Medium Rare, it is tender and tasty. Not sure how it would come up well done, but hey, if you want to ruin meat, what difference does it matter what cut you buy.

Beats the hell out of some of the rubbish "prime" Rump and Porterhouse on offer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:35

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:35
how do you ruin meat? the way i ruin meat is using Tom sauce!!

Laura b
AnswerID: 162074

Follow Up By: JJ - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:30

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:30
By your discription, up here in Qld and in the NT, we call the cut 'Y-bone'. Some states call it blade steak, or bone-in steak. It is a shoulder cut being sliced through the (shoulder) blade, leaving a 'Y' shaped bone in the middle, hence the name Y-bone.
D-lish!
FollowupID: 416770

Follow Up By: Qlddisco - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:05

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:05
Yep !!! sounds like what i buy >>> Y-bone ! cheap and tasty , allways good to stock up the esky with , without hurting the wallet !!! and yes it does,nt pay to over cook it !
FollowupID: 416797

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:23

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:23
whats wrong with tom suace....my kids swear by it...thye'd have it on their wheatbix if i let them
FollowupID: 416810

Follow Up By: Joe King - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:49

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:49
mmmmmmmm Y bone, great stuff...
I agree, knock its horns off, wipe its a$$ & put it on my plate....
FollowupID: 416929

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:38

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:38
Yep i love it too. Not best for the pan where the bone can cause some of the inner edges to sit up and therefore might not get the centre cooked to a preferred stage, ie suck meat off bone with teeth, but a good BBQ grill and can't go wrong. It is the marbling of soft sinew through the meat that makes this cut delicious. But its not the sort of sinew that takes a long time to become soft like with chuck steak.
AnswerID: 162076

Follow Up By: johnsie - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 20:53
If your steak curls its because the outside sinew has contracted a few small cuts like bike spokes around the edge will flatten it out again.All meats can be treated the same .

Try y-bone as a braise also.Brown in camp oven lid on the coals first then simmer with a can tom soup or whatever your taste is plus veg very tasty.
FollowupID: 417040

Follow Up By: porl - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:28

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:28
Good advice jonhnsie, but i do that for my osso bucco cuts etc. The problem i had with my balde steak with bone in (and i don't know enough about cuts but it I think I know my meat and it is a bit different to Y bone cuts) was that as the meat cooked it shrunk up to the bone so that the bone was on the pan and then the meat attached to the bone was off the pan but the edges again were lying on the pan. So like i like my steak medium rare but although the outer edges were touching the pan and when i took off the pan to rest were medium rare the bit attached to the bone was quite like blue. Hope that makes sense, maybe it was a one off and the cut was cut too thin perhaps.
FollowupID: 417145

Follow Up By: johnsie - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 18:16

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 18:16
I'm over your camp for a feed anytime .re the shrinking maybe try the heat a bit lowerand only turn once.
let me know where and when the osso bucco's on will you mate.
FollowupID: 417441

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:10

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:10
On your recommendation I'll give that a burl Jimbo. I've been a bit dissapointed with my last few steaks on the bbq and the household steak connoisseur my 4 year old is threatening a mutnity around the BBQ with me loosing my position as head chef. I hope this works out.
AnswerID: 162095

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:24

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:24
i'll keep my swmbo's eye out for it
AnswerID: 162138

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 22:22

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 22:22
Come, visit, bring meat, enjoy.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162364

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:58

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:58
Blade steak would have to be one of the most under-rated cuts on a beast.
Wife gets me to either bone a blade out, or split the blade, bone in, with band saw, and then she roasts it. Melt in your mouth, and wonderful, juicy flavour.

Years ago, in stockcamps, if the camp cook didn't have any corn meat, they would often send out a shoulder in the dinner pack, and we would grill the steaks on the coals. Flavour was always good, but never had any floss for afterwards. Didn't like the coals much either!

Stuffed topside isn't too bad roasted, but it's a dry cut at the best of times. Always reckoned the best cut, for steak, is that section of rib fillet, underneath the shoulder. We used to call it "chuck", but ask a butcher for this, and you'll end up with neck meat.

Jimbo, think it's time for another barbie?

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162732

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 22:49

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 22:49
y bone or Texas T bone. Quite good if of of a quality beast otherwise it can get a bit chewy. It contains a fair bit of gelatin and sinew but is very tasty. It contains both the Oyster Blade Steak and the Point Blade. It is made by running the knife along the edge of the scapula bone seperating the entire scapula from the Bolar. The scapula is the cut into these t bones
AnswerID: 162743

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:53

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:53
cheers davoe, now as a purveyor of fine meats , i know you are up on cryo and the like and i'm wondering if you can help me out here.

I was at my local butcher the other day getting my weekly stocks, and as they were cyro'ing a few packs of steak for me i asked if they knew of any way to stop the smell you get with cryo meat, i was thinking of maybe a few bayleafs in the pack or similar, they couldnt think of anything apart from the practice of opening and resting the meat before cooking.

You got any ideas ??

Thanks mate Brad.
FollowupID: 418075

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:11

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:11
I would try giving it a quick dunk in Preservative containing Sulphur dioxide we used to wipe meat before putting it into the windows and bath chicken legs in if they started going slimey - Oh hang on thats not legal we never actually used to do that.
Meat shouldnt actually smell from the croyo. Good meat has a sweet smell when first unwrapped but older stuff can have a hydrogen sulphide smell.
Never tried it but maybe a wipe with pineapple juice? the acid should retard surface anaerobic bacteria and it also contains enzymes which will tendarize meat. The acid could well effect the meats "Bloom" when unwrapped however giving it a less appealing look.
If you like your meat seasoned or spiced/herbed you could do that before packing giving the flavours time to sink in. But again it could also lead to darker appearing meat if it interferes with the Metamyglobin joining with oxygen to create oxymoglobin when unwrapped which gives the meat its red appearance
FollowupID: 418077

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:55

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:55
thanks mate, sulphur diox, or 220 is a no go - the missus is allergic to it.

Pinapple juice sounds interesting, might try that one day.

Darker appearance doesnt worry me, it'll just look like a bit of jap ox meat :-)

I havent had any smell probs with cryo when frozen straight away and thawed and used as an ice pack in the esky later, but i have always had the smell to some degree when just refrigerated for a week or so.

but i dont mind too much as it ages nicely, as i find most meat nowdays hasn't been hung long enough before i get it.

Hmm just remembering the good old days, bowling over the odd steer and fat lamb in the shearing shed at home....

Thanks again Dave.
FollowupID: 418282

Sponsored Links