engineer's certificate

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 00:41
ThreadID: 32065 Views:2532 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All I am new to this Forum as you may have noticed.
but I have been here many times to find information and peoples thought about things. I have found it to be a very informative forum.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few things I am thinking of buying a 4 wheel drive. I have had a couple in the past, but nothing has been exactly what I want it to be The car I am looking at is 1999 Nissan Patrol my worries are it has 2" body lift 5" spring lift and 35" tyres. + it has the rest air lockers winch and so on.

Do you guys thing it is too over the top ?
It suposedly comes with a roadworthy cirtificate, but no engineers, so the cops could give me some trouble couldnt they ?
How would I go getting it engineered? I have read a few posts from Truckster about Kevin Williams, does he do engineer certificates?

thankyou for any input anyone has for me that may relate to this. I just want to get the right car without too much trouble.

http://images.carsales.com.au/private/1113891.jpg

that is a link to a picture of the car, not sure if it will work.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kelvin S - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 00:49

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 00:49
sorry I just found some answers to the Question about Kevin williams, I guess i should have done a better search, but input on the other questions would be appreciated thanks
AnswerID: 162395

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:36

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:36
what state are you in ? I would keep that blue label in the glove box for incase. I didn't know you could do a body lift on a airbag car without a engineers report. I don't think that is over the top at all but you have to ask yourself where has that car been for it to be done up like that? make me wonder if it's been trashed around and bashed?

My 2 cents
AnswerID: 162397

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:24

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:24
Hi Kelvin,

When looking at a truck like that there are two things to consider, I reckon.

1. What Trol said - if it's got all the gear and could go anywhere then it probably has - and what sort of treatment did it get on the way there. Hence the reason a lot of blokes will buy a standard truck and customize it themselves.

2. The complete opposite. Most guys I know that have rigs like the one you've shown look after them better than most people - ie regular servicing, tuning etc etc. as evidenced by the sort of people that frequent this site - the maintanence schedule most keep would border on anal! ;-) As opposed to the soccer mum 4X4. Bog standard - looks straight but might not have had it's oil changed in 30,000k's!

All things considered - if you want what looks to be quite a tough and capable truck (Geez that was hard to say about a Nissan!) without the bother of doing the work yourself then it looks the goods. Personally I reckon the fun's in doing it yourself. Also depends on what you want it for - it may be overkill! At the very least it looks like good fun! haha!

Cheers
Scoey.

AnswerID: 162426

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:37

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:37
Looks in very good order. If you go ahead with the purchase you could always pull out the 5" lift and stick a 2" lift under it, sell the 35's and drop back to 32's. That would bring it back to a more 'normal ' look.

The price would have to be considered against the cost of change over.
AnswerID: 162442

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:43

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:43
If you decide to buy it remember to have a spare the same as the tyres on it...
The spare in the photo looks quite different..
AnswerID: 162444

Follow Up By: Kelvin S - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:47

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:47
It doesnt actually come with the tyres in the photo. It only comes with 35' BFG A/T which is a bit dissapointing. Although it would be good to keep them and get a sed of mud tyres too

It has only done 109,000km which I dont think is bad, but I guess that doesnt mean it hasnt been thrashed around in the bush for most of it

A few answers.... I live in Victoria and I want a truck that will go just about anywhere.

thanks for your input fellas
FollowupID: 417161

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:08

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:08
G,day Kelvin,

As other guys have said, I don,t think this guy put all those bits on just so mum could use it to drive to the s/c and back.
Also he is trying to regain the cost of all the accesories which is usualy not on, you can usualy use accessories as a selling point but not to gain a higher price, though in saying that there are quite a few on that truck, so a little extra is ok, though I think he wants too much.
Personally I would rather go for something like this , knowing it has had an easy life, and put all the extra's on it myself, which is exactly what I did, you will end up with an end cost of around the same, and even if it is a little more it's worth the knowledge that the vehicle hasn't been bounced around the scrub.

Avagoodn
Pezza

AnswerID: 162457

Sponsored Links