Warn XD9000 free spool lever stiff

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:44
ThreadID: 32072 Views:8850 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
People of the forum

Just been out in the driveway giving the winch a burl and the free spool lever is very stiff about midway between the two positions at times. Sometimes it's ok but other times it may require a slight tap with a persuader to get it over the hurdle.

Does this problem require a stripdown or can that lever be removed and greased externally. I notice what looks like a collar and screw around the lever base.

I really gotta learn to get stuck more often so these devices get a frequent workout.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve63 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:05

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:05
Hi Ray,
Had a similar issue with an OX Hydrolic winch where the levers were sticky and it meant the winch was stuck in the locked position. Of course I found this out when I need to use it so it took 3 hours to get out of the mud instead of 20 minutes. I give the levers a spray with RP7 and work them through the full range of motions a few times once every month or so and it has been right as rain since. This was the advice from TJM and it seems to do the trick. Don't know how appropriate this is for your winch but the supplier should know.

Steve
AnswerID: 162465

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:11

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:11
Hi Ray
I would suggest a strip down, the tang on the inner end of the lever is rather small. the stiffness could be corrosion around the lever or corrosion or rust on the sliding clutch inside. Not too hard to do if you are some what handy with a few spanners.
Ray
AnswerID: 162467

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:52

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 13:52
Hi Ray...
I wouldnt worry about it too much....
It is only trying to mesh between the slots...
Its the same as trying to put a manual car into gear (obviously with the engine off) without using the clutch,,, sometimes it is stiffer to put in than other times,,, just depends on position...
I always pull on the cable a little more then you can put the persuader away..
AnswerID: 162471

Reply By: Joe King - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:07

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:07
Mad Dog
Had the same problem with the warn on the work ute, WD40/RP7 & a bit of time working it in & out... now I just do that whenever I think of it to keep it free...
hope this helps
AnswerID: 162489

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:55

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:55
Hi Ray,

It could be as described that the mechanism isn't quite meshing, but after it's been engaged and disengaged once the cogs are lined up and if you don't move anything else it should improve for subsequent activations. It can also mean the gearbox has had water in it and the grease in it has turned into clag - like mine had after i drowned it. Have you done any water crossings lately (since the winch was last serviced)?

There are a number of issues around the 9000 and the way it's installed versus the way it was designed to be installed. The drain holes are conveniently located to hold water in the winch if installed with the feet bolted up to the inside of a traditional Aussie bull bar - they were designed to drain when the winch was bolted with those mounting feet facing down on the top of the bars you see on the Yanks Jeeps and some old 40 series here.

There's a detailed description of servicing & other recommended improvements for electrical reliability in a pdf on my website (link in signature) and grease types required - about the thickness of cream. The information was provided to me by SG Leslie in Heidelberg who service & repair them after no ARB dealer I approached could tell me how to correctly tension the internal brake mechanism. One even told me to use bearing grease in the gearbox - which is great if you don't want to be able to drag cable off in freespool.Is it hard to drag cable off it in freespool too?

Winches really need regular services which most don't do. If you've bought it second hand it may be in dire need of a service.

Dave
AnswerID: 162498

Follow Up By: bob007 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:42

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:42
hi dave
i was just looking at your ride and noticed your _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx i was wondering what materials you used,where you got your fridge rollers, and what draw rollers you used any info would be much apreciated

cheers bob
FollowupID: 417231

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:25

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:25
Hi Bob.

If you go to my website which is in my signature just above the View Rig & Profile link you can download a PDF file of drawings & design for the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and the tilting fridge hinge. (Which incidently has been picked up as an idea and manufactured by a mob in SA - and was given 10 in the top 10 products for 2005 by 4x4 Australia - I was pretty chuffed!)

You can build the whole lot _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx & hinge for about $450-500 - cheaper without chequer plate front and trim stripping etc. The fridge slide itself is the only bought bit in the back of the truck. The rest is my own work. Since then I've added a cage around the fridge to stop the load falling into the void when you slide the fridge out, and a top drop down tray up inside the roof line of the canopy to take tarps shower tents and the other bulky stuff you can pack fairly flat.

Give me a holler if you need any more info after that. If you build something off the plans I always like to see pics.

Thanks,

Dave
FollowupID: 417317

Reply By: hz75 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:12

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:12
I had the same problem, until recently.. With cable release lever jammed.
I undone the side phillps head screw, and the lever just pops out.
Squirted ALOT of rp-7 inside housing, put it back together and within half a dozen pulls of release lever, on off so to speak, it started to free up. Its fine now. I think lack of use or it being submerged in water for a short period of time caused this.

Cheers
p.s My winch is a 9000 lb warn
AnswerID: 162521

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:21

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:21
Its not used enough, mate...lol

My Brawn does the same thing. Just run the drum in and out a few times and fiddle with the lever to get it working again. I think they set themselves into a groove when you are driving and pl;ay up when you want to use them. Some Inox Spray stuff might help.

Cheers
AnswerID: 162523

Reply By: ACDC - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:45

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 18:45
Mad Dog,

To do it properly strip gearbox ,clean and repack, sounds like the sliding hub ring is dry!
AnswerID: 162531

Follow Up By: Frank_Troopy - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:08

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:08
That's exactly what was wrong with mine and what I had to do. The grease had turned to really hard gloop and that big ring thing wouldn't slide inside the housing. The ring only turns when it freewheels, so if you just want to use WD40 you need to give the cable a big enough yoink on freewheel to make it turn so you can lube all the way around. Apply too much force to the lever and you can put a flat spot on it quite easily so make sure you do something before it gets so bad you can't set it to freewheel.

One screw takes out the lever and the allen key screws let the housing come off. It's a pretty easy job. My housing wouldn't clear the bull bar so I had to tie a rope around to hold it up and undo the mounting bolts to move it sideways a bit.

I was really pleased to finally understand how the planetary gears work. That alone is worth the trouble. Amazing!

Cheers Frank.
FollowupID: 417314

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 19:52

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 19:52
Thanks a heap to you all for taking the time. Considering the winch came to me second hand on the vehicle and I don't know the history very well it's probably worthwhile giving it a through service at some stage. When that stage will be I don't know :)
AnswerID: 162537

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:44

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:44
Maddog
I had exactly the same problem with my XD9000. Began to get stiff and ignored it until I needed it and I couldn't move it. Needed a complete stripdown. The Leslie mab in Heidelberg who did it 'waterproofed' it as much as possible an it works like a charm now.
FollowupID: 417305

Sponsored Links