NA 105 Series - not much power over about 3500 RPM

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 14:46
ThreadID: 32080 Views:3923 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon all,

We have a NA 105 Series Landcruiser, which has a dead spot from about 3500rpm and above.

I know it's not the most powerful thing off the mark generally, but there seems to be no power above 3500rpm. I only notice it when taking off in traffic and such, and to be honest I don't generally rev it that high, but it is very noticable. It almost feels like the clutch has been pushed in!

Is this normal? If so, what can people suggest to help? I am happy with it's performance generally, and if this is normal, then thats fine. BUT, just thought I'd ask.....

(I'll ask on the LCool forum as well - but I figure it is a general diesel question, not a specific Landcruiser one...)

Cheers,

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:08

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:08
Hi Chump,
My experience of the 1HZ is about the same. Above 3,500rpm you get lots more decibels but no more horsepower.

Turbo is the answer for them.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 162490

Reply By: traveller2 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:21

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:21
Yup that is right absolutely no point in going past 3 and bit, I've got one in a Coaster bus which is much lower geared than a cruiser, it will rev like a petrol but no point in going much past 3k.
AnswerID: 162494

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:53

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:53
Are we talking diesel or petrol here? If it's diesel then 3500 rpm is IT.

The HDT- FE diesel engine in Turbo GXL deveops 151 kW at 3400 rpm. That's max. I think max RPM on the HDT - FE is 4200 rpm (from memory) then the electronic rev limiter cuts in.

But I'll stand abused on this as all I have now IS a flamin' memory of that magnificent beast!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 162497

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:02

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:02
Bilbo,

I've been following your posts, and it sux what happened to your truck. And thanks heaps for all the steling info - it is a real eye opener!

Ours is a 1HZ model - probably not the slowest vehicle on the road from new, but not too far from it.

I just posted on the off chance someone would say j"...mate, ust pop a 3" exhaust on - she'll go like the clappers".

IT SEEMS NOT!

Thanks for the replys folks,

Chump
FollowupID: 417211

Reply By: sjp - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:27

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:27
iam looking at the dieselgas option for my 105 , because i didnt want to muckaround with the specs of the motor ,thats if i can make up my mind if iam going to keep the vehicle ,quite a bit disappointed after having my 80 series dx for 15yrswith the same motor ,the 105 is a bit of a slug even when towing a small boat,but atthe moment there is nothing in the market for me unless i spend over 50 grand ,certainly nothing with the amount of room the cruiser has
AnswerID: 162511

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:09

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:09
Definetly go the diesel gas.
It is around the same price as a turbo and much better off.
Get in touch with IAME (Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers) in as they had a great article about it in their latest members journal.
I am a member and it sold me.
Cheers
120scruiser
FollowupID: 417276

Follow Up By: sjp - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:30
thanks 120 ,sent off an email to them about the article
bilbo very envious when i see a turbo 100 (a few secondhand ones about now)but then i think about the ifs,werent you a bit cautious about taking one prospecting,seems to be enough trouble with the solid axle breakages

with the comp people as it is
FollowupID: 417302

Follow Up By: PeterJH - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:12

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:12
After reading your comments and sympathising with Bilbo would like to say I own a 2002 Advantage model turbo diesel automatic. I love the torque from this engine as I tow a campomatic camp trailer or a 5.4 metre fibre glass boat. Each trip requires traversing a substantial mountain range. Your comments regarding power over 3500 revs is valid for the turbo as well. The only consulation is the buckets of torque up to 3000. Over this, it drinks diesel, makes plenty of noise but is not really achieving much more - but I don't really need more power than that. A couple of years ago, I travelled into Maytown with a 100 series standard diesel fitted with aftermaket turbo, a troop carrier with same set up and a pajero diesel, all towing camp trailers. You cross a substantial mountain range on very washed out dirt road. The independant front end of my cruiser and the pajero did not cause any problems. No doubt when the going gets real tough, straight axles are an advantage - but who wants to take a new vehicle into really difficult terrain?
FollowupID: 417324

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 00:18

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 00:18
SJP and Peter,

The GXL Cruiser was bought in a different time and for different reason. It's a long story that was told a few threads back. I decided I'd stick with it for a few reasons such as Stamp Duty, loss on trade-in, couldn't find a standard Nissan motor that could come close to the Toyota Turbo Diesel, which once you've driven it then your hooked fer life! Max toruqe at 1700 rpm all th way through to 3400 rpm. It was Ferrari in a 4WD dress! At least I could go prospecting in absolute comfort and very quickly to boot!! However, it wouldn't bother me to take an IFS 'Cruiser out prospecting. I see a lot of lesser IFS vehicles out there all the time and as long as they're careful there's never much of a problem.

I reckon with "The Fire Engine" I'll have a reasonable compromise. Almost as much grunt as the Turbo Landcruiser. almost as much comfort as the Turbo Landcruiser but with stronger transmissions, axles and suspension. And the paintwork is already scratched a bit ;). That should do me fer a few years.

Bilbo (Les)
FollowupID: 417327

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:33

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:33
Evening Chump

I have a Troopy with a 1HZ that also has had an aftermarket Turbo fitted.

I use to crack the 'flat spot/wall' at around 3200rpm.

Go like the probverbial 'c h i t off a shovel' until 3200rpm then nothing (much).

Long story of trying different things cut short - fuel filters.

I replaced both OEM fuel filters with dual CAV set up ( Aglomerator & Filter) for no other reason other than improving filtration and water seperation.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell! guess what? Yep! straight away passed the hoodoo 3200 and climbs till I stop, because it frightens me.

Found out later that the OEM twin filter setup slows the fuel flow and around 3200rpm cavitation at the pump starts which gives the effect you are experiencing.

If you want to check this theory out, you can just remove the paper filter out of the first filter cannister , put it back together and try it. I would most probably put in a new secondary filter for the test as well.

Another forum contributor described this test and I just wish he had been around last year when this '3200 syndrome' was causing me bother.
AnswerID: 162910

Sponsored Links