Dealership Services

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:11
ThreadID: 32090 Views:2239 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I recently got my wife a new Suzuki Swift to relace the evil EB Fairmont that was our second car for a while.

I have tried to make her feel responsible for it and she has taken good care of it to date , she has taken it back for a recall she saw in the paper and today had it booked in for its second service.

I tried very hard to let her drop it off and pick it up without interfering ( that means pearing out the window while giving the steering wheel a white knuckle grip )

Given previous run ins with dealers I couldnt help myself when dropping her off , while she was in the office I got out looked around the car and finally looked under the bonnet .

As soon as I opened the bonnet I saw oil everywhere and noitced the oil filler cap was missing.

I had many words with the service manager : )

I asked him what would have happened if the car had been owned by a young lady who had trusted them to look after her new car and not even lifted the bonnet to look after the service , he didnt answer me !

This is the kind of service you get from places that demand ( pretty much ) that they service your vehicle for warranty reasons . Another laugh was the sign on the guys desk that said ' get your car serviced by a professional '

The service manager kept refering to 'Technitians' , is this code for non mechanics who are trained to just do oil changes ?

This was a MAJOR dealership service center in the Sutherland Shire.

Glenn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:50
Disgraceful "service". I wouldn't go back there on principle.
AnswerID: 162553

Follow Up By: Atropos - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:59

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 20:59
Hi Folks

Going back a few years picked up a works sigma from being serviced and drove it home (about 40k) , they had left the radatior cap on their bench.

Needless to say we had a few problems that cost them a bit to put right.. driving with rad cap missing made temp gauge sit about at 1/4 of its travel so no indication of hassles till I stopped at home and got "burning smell" as I got out of the car, I never noticed a thing may be due to running air-con in car

john
FollowupID: 417293

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:03

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:03
Actually I told them that loudly in the reception area !
FollowupID: 417313

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:47

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:47
Glenn,

Agree with Footloose, don't go back. Write a calm, factual letter of complaint to the owner of the dealership expressing your dissatisfaction.

Don't make the service manager look like the devil personified. All managers have dumb employees that make them look bad at some stage or other.

You may hear nothing more about it but then again you might.

Regards
FollowupID: 417336

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:37
Its actually a fleet car so the lease company will be getting a long letter.

As for the dumb employee , its their fault that he's working there.Also if he's a bit suss they should be keeping an eye on him.

Glenn
FollowupID: 417688

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:41

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:41
Aahhh, but they all have their momentary mental aberrations :))))
FollowupID: 417689

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:01

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:01
Technician, yeah that’s what they are referred to these day’s, they are above the level of a Mechanical Tradesperson apparently, they are a Mechanical Technician could also be called a Leading Hand. Id likes to see the cert4 that normally accompanies this title before they start throwing qualifications around, the service manager probably calls himself an Engineer.

Being a Technician the oil cap is too much of a simple item to understand how it functions, thus it was left off.

To be fair to the “Technician” I think the dealership’s puts them under the pump to get the cars in and out in a short space of time and if they take longer than the allocated time they get reamed for it, so often there isn’t time to check over the job. It’s all bull bleep really, you take the car in get over charged for the work and most times they can’t even give you a good explanation to you questions. , at the very least the work should be done right.
AnswerID: 162555

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:56

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:56
Well actually the service manager said he used to be a technician , guess thats why when I dragged him out of the office and asked him what looked wrong with the engine bay full of oil and no filler cap he didnt know .

I think you are right about turn around times for services , but surley you would have a look under the bonnet after a road test ? , I asked them that as well ,seeing as how a road test was on my invoice.

Just gives me the bleep es , have had nothing but trouble from dealers , didnt even wait for the Patrol to go out of warranty to go back to Nissan , they all just want to sift the cash out of your wallet ,

Have been charged for putting the 5th gear back in the Patrol , when it was warrantied , later refunded by Nissan . But have to pay for workshop consumables $40 , Thats alot of rags !

Have had directional tyres 'rotated' so they face backward , 'whats that noise'

And I have been charged $7 for a squirt of detergent in the washer .

Glenn.
FollowupID: 417309

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:20

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:20
The Service Manager should have more sense, the buck stops with him. Not the apprentice, not the receptionist, not the technician, nor the mechanic or whoever he thinks he can blame.

With the team leader.

It's called responsibility once the team leader exhibits some, surprisingly the team will follow!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 162559

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:01

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 22:01
I think the service manager was also the receptionist , although someone signed that they road tested the car , I guess his ass is in a sling tonight.

I made a little 'scene' in their reception area , got my monies worth !

Glenn.
FollowupID: 417311

Reply By: Member - Pud & Barb R (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:05
something to be said for service managers. When I picked up our patrol after the engine rebuild it was running, he asked if it was hard to start. Told him waited for the solenoid to click then started it. OK says he. Went home then went to go and pick hubby up and the bl**dy thing wouldn't start. Bet his arse was in a sling after that little episode as well. I am hanging out to drop the V8 in it so don't have to deal with the dealers. Painful they are to say the least!
Barb
AnswerID: 162580

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:41

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:41
Yep had the problem with the lux, many years ago put in for a full service before going up the cape, $1600 later got home went inside wife comes in after me what dripping from under car go out check it out lift bonnet no oil cap stuffed the bonnet insulator (sound deadning thing under bonnet) black paint stripped from rocker cover, oil over every component give them a ring they ask me can I drive car back to windsor to pick up cap which they found on mechanics bench, I said I would if I had a cap so made them come to me ah wrong cap but did fit still on there today, made them replace bonnet insulator and to pay for my stencil driveway to be cleaned as well and resealed, that took a bit of fighting but I got it done. Never been back to a dealer since and dont even get me started on our new commodore we bought.But once again persistant pays off and I got what I asked for in the fisrt place. Just my whinge for the day have a great weekend every body take care Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 162623

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 17:16

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 17:16
I know this is not about a car, but here goes anyway.

One of my corporate customers has a Compaq laptop 2.5 years old, with a 3 year warranty. The warranty is for pickup, repair and return to site.

The user reported screen display "rubbish" and it had a crack on the screen lid outside cover. This is the sort of problem that can cause nightmares - eg, it must be the software, it has been abused, etc.

Last Saturday I got on the HP web site, registered the warranty claim online (Fantastic - no Indian call centre with 5000 puerile questions). Got an instant e-mail asking for supporting dialogue, pictures, or whatever I might have to help with the rectification. Took a screen dump of the display problem, told them I thought it looked like bad video RAM, told them the unit showed no sign of abuse, and sent it off.

Monday I got a phone call - we'll pick it up Tuesday, which they did, Thursday lunchtime got a phone call saying it was fixed and I'd have it Friday. It turned up at lunchtime today with a brand new screen, new mainboard, new screen cover.

Perfect, no fuss, fantastic service all within the warranty time terms and not one question !!!!!

If only car dealers were the same..............

AnswerID: 162672

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:33

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:33
You wont believe the nightmares I had when my compaq computer died about a month out of warranty , but thats another long winge
FollowupID: 417687

Sponsored Links