Sundowner Camper Trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 21:42
ThreadID: 32093 Views:7377 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has a Sundowner camper trailer and if so what are you thoughts on them. Am looking at buying the deluxe but want to hear of any pros or cons from actual users before spending $$$.

Thanks.
Paul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:02

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 23:02
Have you posted on the Camper Trailer forum as yet?
Being a specific forum for CT's, you may get more responses.
Cut & Paste this link : http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/
regards..................Keith
AnswerID: 162579

Reply By: Paul75 - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 13:40

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 13:40
Thanks Keith. Didn't know it existed.
AnswerID: 162643

Reply By: PBob - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 14:18
Have just bought the middle variety which is a rear opening soft top. I live in Mudgee but that was not the reason for buying here - I looked around and reckon they are one ogf the best made. Mine is about $21.000. they make a cheaper soft top and a larger hard top for about $28,000. The fittings are good it is a well made and solid unit. I suggested a few minor changes which they did and now are continuing to do on their new models. These trailers are made on order, I was lucky enough to go up each week and take pics of the construction from start to finish. I have just been to Vic and back through the Alpine park and whilst it is back there for a few little fix ups it has been great. Their advertising is not great, hence a lot of people do not know about them, but I think they are as good as you can get, and not over priced. I ordered mine with an Alko suspension as they had one there to use, they mostly come with leaves and shock absorbers. The frame is really strong.
AnswerID: 162649

Follow Up By: Paul75 - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:24

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:24
G'day PBob,

I'm assuming you got the Deluxe which is the one I'm looking at. Can I ask what changes you got to it? Also what problems you had with it on your trip through the Alpines?
I saw these a 4wd show not long ago and was very impressed.

How long does it take you to set it up...just the basic setup without annexe?

Thanks.
Paul.
FollowupID: 417940

Reply By: PBob - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:42

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:42
Yes, mine is the one you were looking at. The changes we made are now I think what you will get. These are a change to the cutlery tray which is now mounted permantly under the sink. the original ones, you took it off the kitchen when putting it away on the stainless removable top. This ended up on the bed and if you pulled up during the day and opened up the kitchen, you still had to go under the cover and retrive the tray if you wanted to use a knife or something. We put an extra 12v power outlet between the 240v in and outs on the outside of the trailer for using a night light outside. The other important feature we changed was the front box. This now has a side door as well as the top and fridge slide inside. Make sure you stipulate what type of fridge you have and they will tailor make the box height to suit. the original box was too low for my Engel 40 litre, so they just made me a box the correct height. They will do this from now on if asked. The slide is not the best, it does not come out far enough on the side - we are working on that at the moment. The battery charger fitted, whilst a reasonable one, is not good enough for a large AGM battery. I bought a full river 120ah and that charger would take + 2 days to fully charge it up. I have fitted a different one (or they have on my behalf) and a little tidying up is needed around the battery box area. They are at present fixing this up as well. I am getting them to weld in either a bit of mesh, or plate, between the front triangle of the frame, so as to put stuff on when rummaging in the fridge whilst it is out the side slide. 40 litre engels are great, but as they are tall you have to re pack them nearly every time you get something out. At present we balance this stuff on the frame - the welded in tray or mesh will be much used. The Q size bed is fantastic and very comfortable. The quality of the canvas sides and top are also excellent. You asked how long to set up. I leave the annex top attached to the side all the time and throw it over the top. It just stays there and the beauty of a soft top is that there is room to do this. I can easily put the tent up (annex attached but not used) on my own in a matter of a couple of minutes. It is easier to get the bride to help start it off the camper, we can set up our whole camp in say 10 minutes, that is tent up, kitchen out, table and chairs etc. It is easy. I have pics of the construction of mine on a weekly basis, if you want to have a look at how well it is made, send me an email address and I will send you the pics. I think that they are as good as you will get and the deluxe is their most commonly made and their best trailer. They are really attempting to get it right and will listen to all comments etc.
AnswerID: 163390

Follow Up By: Paul75 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:33

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:33
Thanks for all that info PBob. It sounds exactly like what I am after. I would really appreciate the pics....might help me justify it to the Finance Minister. Email address is paulhenry@comcen.com.au

Do you have an inverter to run the 240v or is it to charge your battery from a 240v supply?

Thanks again.
Paul.
FollowupID: 418142

Sponsored Links