DiscoverAus Topo

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:32
ThreadID: 32133 Views:4285 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Has anyone upgraded to DiscoverAus Topo, is it worth the upgrade.

I would be interested in any feed back and is there a copy in circulation.

Thanks,

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:48

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:48
Hi Matt
is this the one in the news letter your on about, I don't know mate but i'm a mad map person, love maps and more detail the better, at $109 and on this web site then i reackon it will be a good one, I'm ready to part with some dollars right now,did you read my post about the maps set up might be to hard for some , but if they just play around a bit it works.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162783

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:05

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:05
Doug I think you have the Magellan product mixed up with the Raster.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 417933

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:15

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:15
John
well yeh i was mixed up there , actually I thought after i had hit the send button that Raster has nil to with either GPS ,It is connected more to OziExplorer, am I right, because OziExplorer uses the Raster Maps.
Been working today and got another job on this afternoon back out to the new roadworks on the Barkly Hwy.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417938

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:42

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:42
Yeah Mate the Raster works with Ozi real well.

Nothing to do with Magellens maps.

Good to see you getting some work.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 417943

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:52

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:52
Are there alternatives for Magellan, or just the Discover Aus series?
AnswerID: 162784

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:55

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:55
I don't know Steve , would it suit both , It's not a GPS manufacturer software so I would guess it suits both Garmin and Magellan, Probably find that info in the web site, I'll have a geek shortly, well i got my copy so now will have to wait and see how it looks

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417668

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:39

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:39
Hello - Magellan Map products (DiscoverAus, DiscoverAus Topo and Hema Great Desert Tracks (magellan version) - + others for other countries) will only work with Magellan Gps Units. Garmin mapping software is different and is called Mapsource.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 421266

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:14

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:14
yes mate, but are there other products that will work on Magellan GPS apart from DiscoverAus?

Didn't know aout the Hema desert maps.
FollowupID: 421309

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:41

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:41
Basically no (just those products I mentioned before ..all made by or for Magellan)- it is possible to make your own but time consuming and not for the average punter. There are also some NZ maps available. What you see on the exploroz shop or the Magellan website is it for Australia.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 421318

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:11

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:11
hmmmmmm....I'm an average punter.

I don't get Destination's position on these discs being copied. What's to stop anybody copying an SD card? I think even I could do that.

I was gormless enough to lose my disc and asked Destination if they'd let me upgrade as I still had the receipt of purchase and the disc cover. He said "nope. There are already too many copies out there". Implying that I was trying it on and was running a thriving bootlegging scam. In that case, why would I not copy my original and trade it in for an upgrade?
FollowupID: 421359

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:47

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:47
Yes the DiscoverAus Topo SD is expensive. It is however not possible to copy. SD stands for Secure Digital. The map files on the card are linked to a serial number unique to that card. You can copy the files but they will not work on any other card...though I would not be surprised if someone finds/knows a way to bypass this...but I havent heard of any way (not that I promote this sort of activity of course). I am more or less convinced they are not producing a CD of the maps because they dont wont people copying and not paying which apparently happened with original DiscoverAus.

I do however consider the mapping data avaialble on DiscoverAus Topo/DiscoverAus to be worth the money if you use it on a regular basis...and if you have a Magellan you have no choice. Garmins are similar but there is some quaility cheaper/free mapping data available. I havent purchased the DAST topo version yet - I use PDA+OziExplorer (plus suitable topo maps/airphotos) most of the time anyway.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 421371

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:22

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:22
Matt
I have been to the web and checked it out and wow it looks like a bit of real good stuff ,i will leave the url here if the link don't work, gonna order mine now.

raster

www.ga.gov.au/nmd/products/maps/raster250k/#components
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 162788

Follow Up By: Member - Matt L (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:33

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:33
Hi Doug,

You certainly have put in a lot of work with your map setup. I gather you are setup for use with OziExplorer.
I use a Magellan with the DiscoverAus software on my laptop and I am looking to upgrade to the Topo version.

I am not sure what the news letter you referred to is and a price of $109 sound very cheep.

I am lead to believe that a new version of Topo is $399 and an upgrade version is $250. That is quite a ridiculous amount for an upgrade considering you have already bought the original.

Even Microsoft doesn’t charge those sort of prices for their upgrades. I don’t mind paying my fair share but I don’t like being taken to the cleaners.

Regards,

Matt
FollowupID: 417542

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:46

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:46
that's why I'm after an alternative.
AnswerID: 162791

Reply By: StephenF10 - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:12

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:12
It looks like there is some confusion here between the Magellan Discover Australia Streets and Tracks (DAST) and the GA Raster 250 maps. DAST is a Magellan Mapsend product that will work only on Magellans, and Magellans will only accept Mapsend products for their internal maps. If you want a detailed Australian map to load into your Magellan you have no choice but DAST or DAST Topo. At the moment DAST Topo is only available on an SD card while DAST is available on a CD, which means that you can plan everything on your PC before uploading it to the GPS. I was told last October that DAST Topo would be available on CD "early next year". I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, as others have said it's an expensive upgrade and I'll stick with my old DAST.

I've had a Magellan Meridian for three years and, while it's been a reliable and accurate device, the support in the way of upgrades and bug fixes from Magellan has been hopeless. It's a long time between firmware upgrades and each "upgrade" seems to add more bugs than it fixes. The expense of the upgrade to DAST Topo and the long wait for the CD version is typical of Magellan's "customer support".

My next GPS will be a Garmin.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 163098

Follow Up By: austinrunner - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:26

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:26
My understanding is that there currently are no plans to produce DAST Topo on a CD, despite what Magellan may have said last year. This is according to a post on a GPS forum I read during the last two weeks. I'll try to find and post the link.
FollowupID: 418164

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:03

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:03
I to got sick of waiting for the New toppo from Magellan and have just gone to OziExplorer.
Also to expensive for my liking at about $400.

Love the Oziexplorer didn't really appreciate the difference until running Ozi.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163167

Reply By: austinrunner - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:14

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:14
This thread indicates that DiscoverAus Topo is never going to be produced on a CD.

AnswerID: 166359

Sponsored Links