Kneed It - emergency repairs

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:05
ThreadID: 32136 Views:2907 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have seen a number of references to Kneed It on other posts about what to carry on remote trips. I am familiar with the stuff and have used it for emergency repairs to water pipes and tanks on a small farm I had a few years ago. But what else is it good for?

How does it go in the heat for emergency repair to a radiator?

How does it go (ie will it take) with diesel fuel for emergency repairs to a fuel tank?

Other uses?

Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:56

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:56
I have used it on a petrol tank leak but haven't tried it on diesel.
There is a Kneed It version for damp/wet areas as well.
AnswerID: 162793

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:46

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:46
Are you married ....................LOL
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162797

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:03

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:03
perhaps that version uses batteries
FollowupID: 417555

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:21

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:21
Norm,

Reckon this would be one of the first things put in the toolkit, if heading off on a trip. CRC make one called "Minute- Mend". Selleys used to make a stuff called "Epoxy Ribbon", which was similar, and nearly as good.

Have used them on radiator, and it lasted for at least 2 years, until we sold the truck. Feel it would work with diesel, but due to diesel's wicking habit, the seal mightn't be 100%.

Have seen similar products used to seal holes in bore casing, make small tool handles, and seal cracks in fuel lines. Understand you can drill and tap it, to accept a bolt, screw etc.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162802

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 16:06

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 16:06
Norm,
I have seen it used on a diesel fuel tank. It had a gash in it about 8cm long and perhaps 4 or 5 mm wide. We managed to get the vehicle on enough angle to allow the area around the hole to dry. We then applied the u kneed it and allowed it to set onite. We were over 8,000ks from home and about 1,000ks from any help. We put fuel into the tank and it held without a drip. About a week later we noticed it was losing about a litre a day but that was cheaper than getting it fixed. Once it got home I believe it was patched with more of the same product and I suspect it is still there!!! I put some in my kit as soon as I got home. I sincerely hope the purchase was a waste of money but if I need it I suspect it will be worth it's weight in gold.

Good luck
AnswerID: 162833

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 17:08

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 17:08
Thanks guys. Just got back from Bunnings with some Kneed It.

At $13.00 and almost zero size and weight, it is a good investment.
AnswerID: 162839

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 18:32

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 18:32
G'day Norm,
many years ago ( about 20 ) I punctured the petrol tank on a Holden along the Birdsville track. The petrol was pi...ng out.
Wile I was laying unter the car getting soaked SWMBO handed that stuff, I'm sure it was Kneed It down to me after kneeding it. Dropped it into the dirt - bugger ...
I cleaned most of the sand off and worked into the hole. It stopped the leak almost instantly. For good measure I smeared a liberal amount of Silicon sealer over the top of it.
Sold the car about 2 years later and the repair was still 'good as'.
Your question reminds me to get a new lot because ehat I have is now many years old.

Cheers,
Mike

FollowupID: 417599

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:28

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:28
Have used it on a diesal tank when we ripped the pipes out of it. it was actually that aqua kneed it stuff and it worked no worries. i tried fixing a plastic water jerry with same stuff but didnt work
AnswerID: 162890

Sponsored Links