Does anyone know how to fit a windscreen

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:48
ThreadID: 32140 Views:10325 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After having trouble with our 100 series with water leaking in(traced to a leaking windscreen)and lighting up the dash like a christmas tree,we were given a hire vehicle(100 series std) and upon opening up the doors this morning water came pouring out(still raining here).You can see it wet round the windscreen and yes the dash is all lit up.Surely it carnt be too hard to fit a windscreen to one??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:50

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:50
With water in the dash electoronics - I hope that you are not looking at a write-off.
AnswerID: 162798

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:23

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:23
Are you sure it's the windscreen? I've seen one 100 series that leaked through the channels where the roof bars mounted, the turret had cracked, probably from carrying too much weight on the roof.
It was a s/hand base model.
AnswerID: 162803

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 17:58

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 17:58
Was with our 100 series as the windscreen mob up here took the inside panels off,one got in and one put fire hose on screen and hay presto water coming through.The lend one ,my wife was getting dripped on today while we were out playing in the floods.
FollowupID: 417594

Reply By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:25

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:25
I know the Prado has holes in the roof for mounting roof racks that go straight through. If you don't seal those bolts when mounting it will leak water. Just ask me.
Just a thought.
120scruiser
AnswerID: 162804

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:06

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:06
Nick, Geting back to your question.... Its a fairly straight forward job to fit one, the trick is to seal it properly BEFORE re-fitting the screen. In my opinion, get a professional mob to do it for you. That way, if it leaks after they install it, you can get them to redo it under warranty.

Just a side note... if your dash lights are looking like xmas tree lights, you may be in trouble down the track....electrics dont like water..simple fact.

If its still under warranty...take it back and whatever they do, make sure you have it in writing that they found no damage to the electrics incase later on you have similar problems or worse.

Dont take the cahnce mate...get windscreens obrien to do it (thats if ur out of warranty)

Ange
AnswerID: 162806

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:04

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:04
IF you have to do it yourself the trick is to run a length of thin but strong terylene string right around the inside of the rubber. Leve the ends hanging down.

Place the windscreen in position (from the outside) and, having a couple of people hold it in position - bring the string ends to the inside of the car.

Gently but firmly pulling on the string will open up the rubber and allow it to slip into its correct position. Works a treat! I can change an OKA window glass in seconds this way.
Collyn Rivers
FollowupID: 417563

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:26

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:26
Check with Lucy, everything he owns lights up like a christmas tree after water, except the CHeep which lights up also when driving along the road.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 417671

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:03

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:03
Nick, I have some experience in this area, but not with the 100 series. There are 2 methods of installing windscreens:

1. Rubber

2. Urethane

Rubbers (assuming they're still in good nick and not shrunk and/or brittle) can give some relief with a caulking compound between both the glass and also the rubber to body. However, most modern installations are "self draining" which means the rubber is designed to use little or even no sealant. I would be very careful using sealer with such an installation as you may block the drain holes in the rubber and/or body of the vehicle, which could worsen the leak, or even start up rusting of the windscreen aperture.

If your install is urethane, the only reliable way of repair is to remove and replace. Usually the urethane disbonds from either the glass or aperture for 2 reasons: Extensive flexing of the vehicle's body during off-road activities can start it off. Usually though, it is caused by poor installation, ie the etch primer isn't applied properly and the urethane doesn't stick well to the glass.

You might be able to effect a temporary repair with neutral cure silastic, but when the time comes to fix it properly, the windscreen fitter will be really p#ssed...

Either way, I'd go to a professional to get it seen to.
AnswerID: 162818

Reply By: Dave198 - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 16:02

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 16:02
I suggest if you have a problem with the windscreen leaking, obviously there is a gap in the sealant somewhere. (Bonded screens)
That means the windscreen is not bonded properly to the body, and believe it or not, the windscreen forms an integral part of the vehicles' rigidity.
So, I guess that means that if the vehicle is flexing more, some more cracks are going to appear somewhere. Where will that be.? Dunno, maybe the pillars next!
Dave
AnswerID: 162831

Reply By: Brian B (Mackay Qld) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:51

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 21:51
I think it is part of buying a landcruiser, if it dont leak, theres something wrong!
My landcruiser ute leaks, cant find where it leaks from but it doesnt worry electronics.
AnswerID: 162895

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 00:58

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 00:58
Hi Brian

"I think it is part of buying a landcruiser, if it don't leak, there is something wrong!"

I thought that quotes like that referred only to Landrovers

Cheers

Disco
FollowupID: 417666

Follow Up By: Brian B (Mackay Qld) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:23

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:23
i thought that because landcruisers are known to be rust buckets.

They either leak from water getting in through rust holes or rust holes forming because of water getting in!

I dont loose any sleep over it, i got my cruiser rustproofed last week.

FollowupID: 417677

Reply By: Bilbo - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:38

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:38
This problem should be taken to a professional. These days some vehicles don't have "windscreen' rubbers" as we old timers know 'em. Some windscreens have to be put in using a heated element to seal it against the body work. There's all sorts of special tackle required to put these things in these days. I don't say that lightly 'cos I'm a b****r fer DIY.

My mate used to run his own glass and windscreen business in the WA Goldfields and I used to give him a hand now and then.

Believe me - oils may well be oils, but windscreens aren't.

Take it to someone

Bilbo
AnswerID: 162911

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:13

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:13
Agree with what others have said above. Get it done by a professional. Just had one done on the Hilux by O'Briens Glass. Less than 30 mins + $250 - done.

Regards
AnswerID: 162922

Sponsored Links