Wet season,North Kimberley

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:49
ThreadID: 32187 Views:2139 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just thought I may save a few people either phoning or emailing me to ask. Yes we have had a big wet season up here.
Over the whole wet since Oct we have had 1.300 mm ( 52 inches) so far and it is still raining as I type.
No regretfully I do not know if the road will be open on the .... 10 th .....20 th .......30 th of April or May or any other date and neither does anyone else yet.
Honestly we'd love to know just as much as all who plan to visit us. I have staff stuck in Broome, others on the move and they have no hope in hell of getting in here yet ! They can't even get to Kununurra on the highway so that we can fly them in.
If I didn't have staff organised and on the way you can bet your bottom dollar the road would have been dry and open on the 2 nd April. Murphy's law isn't it.
When the road will open depends a fair bit on what happens over the next two weeks with rain, but the rivers are high and the ground is very wet and as a personal GUESS only I don't give it a very high chance of being open in April at all.
Of course it also depends upon what damage has been done to the road and as no one has driven on it since last Nov / Dec , therefore no one knows if it requires a little work or a lot of work before they will open it.
I have had so many contacts about this ( 3 today) I do wish I had a crystal ball and could help more. Every single time we take a guess it all changes and we turn out to be wrong, I actually normally say I won't even take a guess.
Hope we do still get see all who planed to visit and a late start doesn't muck up your plans to much !
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:55

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:55
Thanks Anne,

I hope the next time that you do a post it will be all good news.

Should be there in August, if the roads are open.

Wayne
AnswerID: 162997

Follow Up By: briggzee (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 15:12

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 15:12
Wayne, At last someone else said they will be on the GRR in August. Everybody else seems to be going in June/July. I was beginning to think I was going to have the place to myself. Now I will keep a look out for your troopy, easy to spot if you leave those bloody great red flags on. We will be in a Blue 99 nissan wagon with a jayco dove hopefully still in one peice.
FollowupID: 418179

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:05

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:05
Thanks Anne. It might make it a late season, but hopefully a good one.
We hope to be getting up the GRR and via your place (with a stop over and a burger) to Kimberly Plateau and Kalumburu in mid to late June.
Sounds like there might still be some water over the falls for us.
See you then.

Norm C
AnswerID: 163001

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:30

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:30
Good to hear from you Anne, we have all been wondering how you were getting on. At least the garden will be green! Hope you have a good season when it starts.
AnswerID: 163008

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:25

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:25
Hi Ruth,
Trailer after trailer load to cart away, the garden is growing so fast. We can hardly keep up with the mowing but is does look so nice and so green. I honestly don't know where each day vanishes to, it's no holiday staying here for the wet when we get decent rains. I had a jungle in some of it so did a major chop back. One thing I am fitter than I have been for a while as the dry season is all office & phone ( sitt, sit, sit) so the work won't have done me any harm. Even lost a tad of weight !
We did need a good wet badly as after last years non event everything was just so dry, the cattle look great now.
The good thing is this year there should be some water to be seen at the Falls etc.
Hope yours has also been good.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 417766

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:37

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:37
Should be up your way by May Anne, hope its dry enogh to visit by then. Cheers Rob.
FollowupID: 417769

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:06

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:06
Good to hear it's made you fit Anne. We've had the driest hottest summer in the 10 years I've been here. This probably sounds a bit odd - but I've never seen the Desert look so dry. Our gardens have suffered badly and Ian's lost about 40 trees in the Park - not through lack of water, just hot winds - even the palms around the house are nearly all gone.
Good to hear there will be water in the falls hopesfully.
Our season has started - four campers last night, and after a long summer talking to each other it's nice to have fresh conversation!!
Have a good seson.
FollowupID: 417811

Reply By: marion - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:49

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:49
Thanks Anne for your time in keeping us in the picture. We so need the rain here in Anakie after the fires we have had. So I am always happy to hear someone is getting their fair share. We are coming up your way in July-August if nature permits. Please keep us posted if you have the time, take care cheers Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163025

Follow Up By: Rod O B - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:31

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:31
Thanks Anne,
When I rang you about a month ago you were saying how dry it has been!!
Well we still plan to be at Drysdale after a trip up the Canning mid- June, so hopefully the roads will be open (let alone graded) by early July.
Nice to hear from you,

Rod B
Adelaide
Rocket Rod

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 417827

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:16

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:16
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to meeting you in July.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 163130

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:06

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:06
Hi Anne,

You guys finally made the news here this morning, the Commonwealth Games finish now then realise there are other things happening!! There's flooding in WA!

Hope all is as well as can be!

Sandy & Steve
AnswerID: 163367

Sponsored Links