Another tyre debate

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:04
ThreadID: 32202 Views:4200 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Wanting to get the Cooper tyres that are 60% dirt and 40% road - i think they are the ST's?? but have found the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor advertised at a pretty good price.

We want them to be able to cope with both lots of terrain - mainly getting them for a trip up throught the centre (oodnadatta-Alice,Mereenie Loop,Darwin,Mt Isa....)

Does anyone have an idea on what is better - I know you are all going to have different opinions but could you please tell me what would be better value for money, longer lasting, warrenty,how thick the Goodyear are (Coopers are 10 ply on the side) etc....

We have an 80 series and maybe need to go a slightly bigger tyre....the size at the moment is standard i think.

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:29

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:29
Laura,

With the tyres that are around to day it is very hard to pick the right one.
The first thing is the tread pattern. AT or Muddies. I think that you have already decided on what pattern, AT / ST.
Now all you have to do is to pick the maker of the tyres.

BFG, Goodyear, Coopers, plus others they are all very good. Go with the best deal you can get.
You will win some friends and lose some on the Forum because you didn't go with there pick of tyre. The dearest or the cheapest tyres are not always the best.

I have yet to hear of a tyre that has not failed or had a puncture, so they are all very much the same.

Try and stay with a common size and brand for your vehicle. 265/75/ 16 is very common so getting a replacement should not be a problem.

For my 2c worth, Coopers first then BFG , but at the end of the day it is your money so spend it how you want on the best deal.

If you can pick a tyre that will last forever never get a flat, handle all road conditions and give a good ride, I will ask you to pick 6 numbers for me on a Monday Night.

Best of luck.

PS when you get the new rubber get 5 or 6
I have seen so many spare tyres that can not be used because they don't match the 4 tyres that are on the vehicle.

Wayne
AnswerID: 163102

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:31

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:31
yep your right, everyone will have their own opinion. I am a happy Cooper ST owner. I did get some chipping on my tyres but I can't be too hard on Cooper for that. I have a bush set of tyres and a city set. The Cooper are only on when we go away. Considering they have done Googs, Gawler Ranges, heaps on Flinders, Birdsville etc they have done extremely well. Still lots of life left in them. It does come down to personal care though. Running the incorrect pressures will destroy even the best tyres. Just make sure you let them down on rocky roads etc (25psi for example), drive a realistic speed for the weight being carried etc and most tyres will survive the abuse. Good luck.
AnswerID: 163103

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:33

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:33
Try a search ........ Cooper STs are not good on the sort of roads that you mention, end of story!
AnswerID: 163104

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:16

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:16
yeah...sorry....STT's...i did say the 60/40 dirt/road..........

LauraB
FollowupID: 417861

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:32

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:32
"Wanting to get the Cooper tyres that are 60% dirt and 40% road ..."

Personally I prefer them to be made out of rubber with steel belts moulded into them.

Whatever spins your wizzer...................
AnswerID: 163121

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:58

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:58
thought id start a new trend!!hehe LOL!!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 417871

Reply By: grayson - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:35

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:35
Hi Laura,

I am a happy Cooper ST user. I have 285 x 16 tyres fitted to my std 80 series GXL rims at present. I know there has been some sort of re-call recently for some reason but my batch aren't effected. My vehicle has been used as a daily runner by my wife for last few years while I have worked away so most miles have been bitumen. When I am home I normally do a fair amount fo beach work and gravel / mud tracks around Mundaring for fun. I noticed I have a torn lug when I was home last and not sure about this but I would never go back to Bridgestone or dunlop again after using these. I haven't had any feedback about the wrangler silent armours, but they sound OK. A few mates run BF Goodrich mud terrains and all terrains and are very happy with them.

FYI my tyres have done around 25-30 000 kilometres since they were fitted and i reckon I will get that again easy.
AnswerID: 163122

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:58

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:58
Laura,

I had a set of Cooper S/T's on my old Hilux and had them out on the roads around Innamincka, dig tree, Gammon and Flinder's Ranges and never had a problem (in fact never once had a puncture). Provided the pressures are set correctly for the terrain and you drive accordingly to the terrain, Coopers should be fine.

I've since fitted a set of 285/75/R16 S/T's to my Patrol.

They should handle the terrain you are talking of traversing without any problems (just make sure you adjust driving style and tyre pressures accordingly)

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 163128

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:05

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:05
I don't use Coopers, but a comment or two in general - ply statements for the walls are 'ratings' - not actual plies - so a high rating may even have half that amount of actual plies - I'm not the full quid on this subject (some here are) - just know enough to be skeptical about a lot of the pitch - whatever AT type tyre anyone uses, the most important thing in my view is how you treat them on the track - I reckon experienced bushies could make any tyre last if they had to.... city softies like me can get close, if we try.
AnswerID: 163157

Reply By: Guedo - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:32

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:32
Without a doubt coopers S/T are the best 4wd tyre "on road", but where I live which requires a lot of track driving the side walls are too thin. When I needed to get my tyres changed (albeit with about 15-20% tread left) I compared coopers to BFG and Wranglers (both in muddies). The wranglers are thicker and feel stiffer in the sidewall which is important to me, I need staking protection. That being said when I changed over the Cooper STT was just coming out, I'm a coopers fan but couldn't take the risk.

Guedo
AnswerID: 163160

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:44

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:44
"I'm a coopers fan but couldn't take the risk"

Now thats a contradiction if I ever saw one.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 417923

Follow Up By: Guedo - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:04

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:04
John

No contradiction at all. I believe in horses for courses. I am certain the Coopers S/T are the best tyre for bitumen and secondry roads, but not for two wheel tracks or making your own way through the scrub. I'm no tyre expert just a bloke who drives vehicles that have tyres on them.

I live in Nhulunbuy (Gove), when I had to change tyres (because of side wall stakes and chunks torn out of sidewalls) the only tyre dealer in town who incidently isn't a coopers fan and didn't have or want to keep the STT's in stock to view, wanted near on $400 a corner for them. $1200 to me is a big risk to committ to tyres site unseen.

John I sincerely hope I have not made too many spelling mistakes, used poor grammar or incorrect punctuation for you to pick up on.

Guedo
FollowupID: 418274

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:13

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 00:13
"John I sincerely hope I have not made too many spelling mistakes, used poor grammar or incorrect punctuation for you to pick up on"

Guedo whats that supposed to mean? I never criticized you spelling or grammar etc.

My comment was purely directed to your claim that Coopers were the best tyre type thing then you insinuated that you wouldn't take them off road????
They are supposed to be a 4wd tyre aren't they?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 418278

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:50

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:50
I've had a set of Cooper S/Ts before and NEVER AGAIN. They chipped really badly on a trip to Cape York and Lawn Hill.
I now run Goodyear MT/Rs and am very happy with the way are wearing after 25,000klm. I have done some hard miles on these tyres too and they are looking very good. Just bought 2 more so that I could put 2 of the older ones onto the camper trailer......the old Coopers from the C/T are now on the 7x5 box trailer for rubbish tip duties etc (how appropriate as far as I'm concerned).
AnswerID: 163163

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:23
Roachie,

Thought you might like this comparison of BFG Muds to MTRs (pinched from LCOOL >

Ivan I have been running both for a while, admittedly though on an 80
Series. At this point in time, I can't speak highly for the BFG Mud TA in
comparison to the MTR (both 285/75 x 16).

The areas where I found the MTR better are (in no particular order):

- Far better at shedding mud. The BFGs clog quickly and you not only lose
traction but more importantly, you lose sideways stability.
- Tougher in that rocks don't rip chunks out of the tread blocks.
- Stronger sidewalls. Sharp objects don't tear the sidewall as easily as
they do on the BFGs and when they do, it's a small cut that can be repaired
to get you out.
- Better traction on the road by a fair margin - particularly when wet.

Areas where the BFGs are better, again in no particular order:

- Softer sidewall with less heat build up at speeds over 130 kph.
- Slightly better wear on the road.

One aspect which is neither here nor there is the fact that you need to
lower tyre pressure a fair bit lower on the MTR on sand and snow than you do
with the BFGs. I put that down to the fact that the sidewalls on the MTRs
are much stiffer and they tend to support the vehicle. For example, to
achieve the same floatation on the MTRs I need to air down to under 10 psi
that the BFGs offer at 15 psi. I don't see that as a negative though because
of the stronger MTR sidewall that does a better job of resisting sidewall
damage than the BFG at 15 psi.

I also think that the MTR would suit your suspension setup better than the
BFG. The reason is that the MTR isn't as "lively" in the way it bounces back
after an impact and it will give you a better chance of keeping the tyre in
contact with the ground.

As far as applications go, if it's high country work, then I think that the
MTR has the edge. On fast outback dirt roads, it's a hands down win for the
MTR - greater stability and comfort. On road, the MTR is a tad noisier than
the BFG.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 417996

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:51

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:51
I think you will find 10ply will be.

6ply tread 4ply sides
Or
7ply tread 3ply sides
Possibly but unlikely 5ply tread 5ply sides

Jump in anyone if I am incorrect about this but this is they way it’s normally set out from what I have seen.

Don’t have ST’s or STT but have AT’s no complaints, damage I have half a lug torn off on 2 tyres and some very, Very minor chipping, it also look’s as thou another half a lug is on the way too. Have never heard of people experiencing this on the AT’s but at the same time I hardly ever adjust pressure They now have 40K on them and Rotated 2 times.

IE. have been driving off road in the pilbara at 44PSI fully loaded, driven at 14PSI twice on road (Forgot the air compressor) for 30 and 14k’s it was like driving on balloons LOL, come to think of it I don’t think I have ever been below 36PSI off road except on sand. Last weekend once again at 44PSI fully compressed the front left tyre into the rim (It loved it LOL) when I hit a rock going a bit fast in Low range, Incidentally it was the same tyre that I pulled a burnt stick out of the side wall which was piked up in Cape arid.
AnswerID: 163251

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:25

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:25
Ill jump in - the ply rating is just that a rating (from what i dont know) so the actual plies arnt adding the sidewall to the tread to give you the ply rating it is based on something more ethereal many 10 ply tyres have 2 ply sidewalls and 6 ply tread. MTR are one of the few 10 ply that actually have 10 plies (7 tread and 3 sidewall) I have still found there sidewalls not up to the task of the Goldfields bush
FollowupID: 418284

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:10

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:10
I thought I may as well chime in here. The comment that all tyres fail is a good one. None are perfect and most are abused. I have been using Bridgestone D693 & the new 694 for over 90,000 kms on two Prado and our 100 series maps most of Australia, including your planned area of travel, on D693LT and it has covered 70,000kms in 18 months with only one puncture which was a bit of wire at Cordillo Downs. So those experiences should count for something I would hope. One question most folk don't want to ask is how do you actually repair a 10ply tyre then reseat the bead in the bush. I can say from experience that it is not fun. Ask yourself if you actually want to hang-off a set of tyre pliers trying to break a 10 ply tyre.

If you have a very very close look at most AT tyre specifications, particularly sidewally ply, you may be surprised to find the majority are 2-4 ply and it is only the tread face that is actually 10 ply. The new Goodyears have an interesting technology with the Kevlar reinforcing sleeves and that may go some way to reducing the risk of sidewall punctures. Although that balance of lower tyre pressures and slowing down is the cheapest approach.

Your plan seems to include plenty of formed roads so a decent AT of pretty much any sort would probably do the trick. Another thing to think about is if you can get a replacement for your tyres in the areas you are travelling through?

Oh the joys of the never ending tyre debate.

Hopefully these comments go some way to helping in your decision

Rob
AnswerID: 163411

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:24

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:24
For a number of users reviews on the silent armour look here

Site Link
AnswerID: 163715

Sponsored Links